TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why I like verts.

150man

Other than wanting a hard top because you're going to race at the track, (coupes are more aerodynamic, and little stiffer), I don't understand why everybody would not want a vert!

In a vert, you can have two completely different driving experiences. In today's verts, with the top up, the ride is comfortable, and quiet if that's what you want. You can have climate control- be warm when it's cold, and be cool when it's hot.

When the weather is just right, you can put the top down.

You can smell things as you pass by. Some things aren't so great like dead animals or feed lots, but there's a lot of smells that are pleasant- like trees or flowers or air that's just been cleaned by the rain. You can also smell tire smoke if that's your thing.

You can hear noises that are pleasant. First, of course, is the exhaust note. It's a lot louder under acceleration with the top down, and that's neat. You can hear birds in the field, and other animal noises when cruising down the road.

You can feel differences in air temperature. If you go through a low place or through a shaded area you can feel the cooler air for a moment. Of course you can also feel the speed of your car more as the wind picks up and you go faster.

You can see more of the world that you go past. You can see fields and the topography of the land better with the top down. And especially the sky. You can study the clouds, or a flock of geese. I haven't had mine in the mountains yet, but I imagine that you could look up at the scenery instead of having to crouch down and try to look up from under the top of the windows.

I guess some just prefer the more aerodynamic look of the coupe, and I understand that, but I don't mind the look of the vert top when up, and I definitely like the look of the car better than a coupe with the top down. And you wouldn't believe how much easier ingress and egress is with the top down.

If you're in to cruising the boulevard on summer nights, I can't imagine that being better in a coupe than in a vert.

Having a vert is almost like having two cars for the price of one!

To each his own, but here are a few reasons I don't like verts.

1) Less stiff (as you mention)

2) More noise

3) don't heat/cool as well (heat/cooling escapes more easily through the top)

4) Easier for theives to steal things by slicing the top

5) I prefer the look of a coupe...where the roof color matches the car

6) Verts weigh more and have more moving parts that can break/leak (I don't like sunroofs either)

I agree they have good points as you mention, but this is my list. I'm glad they make both so we can all get what we want. :hyper:

AD

To each his own, but here are a few reasons I don't like verts.

1) Less stiff (as you mention)

2) More noise

3) don't heat/cool as well (heat/cooling escapes more easily through the top)

4) Easier for theives to steal things by slicing the top

5) I prefer the look of a coupe...where the roof color matches the car

6) Verts weigh more and have more moving parts that can break/leak (I don't like sunroofs either)

I agree they have good points as you mention, but this is my list. I'm glad they make both so we can all get what we want. :hyper:

AD

I like Coupes for the same reason that Dave does but I want to add 2 additional reasons.

7) Safety. In a roll over or crash you are safer and the car is stronger.

8) In wet & cool climate states a coupe is more comfortable.

It is all a matter of preference of course....but IMO:

- the noise difference is neglible in these cars with the new cloth tops

- If you don't live in extreme climate (Cold, wet) there is no comfort issue whatsoever

- A thief is getting into your car if he / she wants in...a window is just as easy to crack as a top is to cut

There is no doubt about stiffness and weight, although that can be offset with mods. Looks are all preference and as you have pointed out...that's why they make both. There is nothing like dropping the top on a beautiful day...and as many of those as there are in Central Texas...I couldnt imagine not having that option. That said, I probably wouldn't own one in a very cold or wet climate.

It is all a matter of preference of course....but IMO:

- the noise difference is neglible in these cars with the new cloth tops

- If you don't live in extreme climate (Cold, wet) there is no comfort issue whatsoever

- A thief is getting into your car if he / she wants in...a window is just as easy to crack as a top is to cut

There is no doubt about stiffness and weight, although that can be offset with mods. Looks are all preference and as you have pointed out...that's why they make both. There is nothing like dropping the top on a beautiful day...and as many of those as there are in Central Texas...I couldnt imagine not having that option. That said, I probably wouldn't own one in a very cold or wet climate.

What would be nice is to have one of each. :hyper:

If you're in to cruising the boulevard on summer nights, I can't imagine that being better in a coupe than in a vert.

Having a vert is almost like having two cars for the price of one!

I love verts. I just love track time more. With the changes in track rules in the last few years, most verts will never be allowed on the track. Just not a concession I was willing to make for the few days here in Houston that are sunny and between 65 and 80 deg. Usually its either too hot or too cold.

I have a vert because i fit better and it's more comfortable to drive for me (which is who I bought it for). Truth be told...I like the hard top looks better but I love dropping the top in the summer when out driving around. Both are great cars - I'm struggling with the track issues and even if I found a roll cage that made it OK for the track I would have a hart time probably mounting it this car but for the right look I may do it.

They have not come out with one of these for the newer model mustang yet but surely it's only a matter of time: http://www.smoothline.com/contemporary_mod...ord_Mustang.php

Then with a vert you really could have both :)

Somebody posted a link here a few months ago about why the government doesn't require roll bars for verts. I read the article and seem to remember that they quoted a statistic that verts are involved in only about 2% of roll over accidents. They attributed this to the fact that verts have a lower center of gravity.

In my area, it seems that I read of several people being killed every year in roll overs because they are ejected from the vehicle, and the car rolls over them. I have never read of someone being killed in a roll over in a vert.

I like both......I have several cars, so getting the vert was my choice. even so, it was a tough choice. I will say however that Mr Shelby himself like the driving characteristics of teh vert better than the coupe. I dove both and I agree. I like the added weight in the rear. I like the feel for everday driving, and I live in Los Angeles where the weather complies with top down driving even during the winter. I would never take my vert to a track, but I would rather drive my F430 on a track anyway. I will admit that the other day I saw a GT500 Coupe drive by and I was thinking that it looked amazing. So as I said I like both......A LOT!!!

I like Coupes for the same reason that Dave does but I want to add 2 additional reasons.

7) Safety. In a roll over or crash you are safer and the car is stronger.

8) In wet & cool climate states a coupe is more comfortable.

I agree - plus -

9) I burn the hell out of my bald little bean when I drive a convert

10) Converts make for bad scalp days

11) I prefer to drive coupes, I prefer the look of the coupes, so I can't see paying $5000 more for something I really don't like as well.

12) In Montana there just aren't enough warm months to enjot a convert

That being said, if I come across a decent buy on a used GT500 convert within the next 5 to 10 years I could definitely see me buying one to sit in the garage next to our coupe. I have had 3 different 5.0 Mustang converts in the last 5 years and I've really enjoyed them, converts just aren't my first choice.

Since I have several other vehicles at my disposal, don't have any plans of racing or running on the track, and my Shelby is garaged when I'm not driving it, I purchased a vert. I've never owned one before and absolutely love it. The cloth top is extremely quite when it's up and doesn't flap around at high speeds like I remember with convertible tops on older cars. Plus with the top down you really feel conected with the car and the road.

Guest markham51

To me its really about life style. There are lots of practical reasons why a coupe is better but there is nothing like a convert in the summer time, particularly a Mustang convert, it is absolutely iconic!

To me its really about life style. There are lots of practical reasons why a coupe is better but there is nothing like a convert in the summer time, particularly a Mustang convert, it is absolutely iconic!

And it certainly can't hurt to have one sitting next to your 68 GT500KR convertible!

Nice stable of ponies!

I've had about 8 Verts. I've been there.

Aside from the safety (roll overs and slice and grabs) - no one has brought up the roughly $5k more for the Vert.

If my Mustang was a Sunday car - I'd have a vert.

What I would like, though, is a Vette type targa roof option. When you sit in that car with the panel off, you feel like you're in a vert. But you have the security of a hardtop.

I've had about 8 Verts. I've been there.

Aside from the safety (roll overs and slice and grabs) - no one has brought up the roughly $5k more for the Vert.

If my Mustang was a Sunday car - I'd have a vert.

What I would like, though, is a Vette type targa roof option. When you sit in that car with the panel off, you feel like you're in a vert. But you have the security of a hardtop.

In my best John Belushi voice: "Targa.......Targa....Targa...Targa"

I'm with you ruf - targa all the way. Since they didn't have one and since my Mustang is kind of a Sunday driver, I got a vert.

In my opinion I think they both look great!!!

I have a vert and I think the coupe looks better than the vert with the top up.

But the vert with the top down is just way to coooool.

My Shelby is not a daily driver, It's just a big toy, so for me a vert made more sense.

The only thing that really matters is that were all driving a:

2007 SHELBY GT500.

jmho

Alan

In my opinion I think they both look great!!!

I have a vert and I think the coupe looks better than the vert with the top up.

But the vert with the top down is just way to coooool.

My Shelby is not a daily driver, It's just a big toy, so for me a vert made more sense.

The only thing that really matters is that were all driving a:

2007 SHELBY GT500.

jmho

Alan

+1 This is like the Less Filling.......Taste Great commercials

There's no noise when you cut through a cloth top. Window breakage is noisy.

A centerpunch is fairly quiet...one hit and it spiderwebs the window. Have you seen how thick these tops are? I highly doubt the sawing with a knife would be silent.

Here's an interesting statistic from an article on roof strength standards:

The legislation’s framers knew that convertibles would never be able to meet the new roof crush standard. So they exempted them. At the time that the standard was created, convertibles were becoming increasingly unpopular. NHTSA figured that extinction would make the exemption a moot point. When convertibles made a comeback, the exemption provided valuable statistical data. Unfortunately for the rule-makers, real world experience didn’t validate the roof crush standard’s original premise. Passengers in convertibles during rollover accidents were not killed in any greater numbers than occupants of cars that met NHTSA’s roof crush standard.

The entire article is here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1614

Archived