TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CS Side Scoops

Thinking about installing California Special side scoops on my KR. I just think the side needs them, and of course there not permanent. Whatya think!

I say go for it and post some pictures after they are installed.

I plan of leaving my KR the way it came from SAI.

If the side scoop is not functional why bother? It's just another aero dynamic drag.

The KR is nearly perfect the way it came from SAI and the few things it could use (my short list of "they should haves") add to the car's charm and character! now and in years to come :salute::salute:

Does anyone know who actually makes them. Is it Ford, 3d carbon, etc?

I believe the part # is 6R3Z-63424A62-AA if you want the actual California Special side scoops from FMCo.

I also know that bangastang.com sells them and you can order them painted if you choose. I'm sure other can sell them or you can get them unpainted through FMCo.

I agree it's almost perfect but I have always thought the side of any Mustang needed those scoops. Just looks meaner. I'm not worried about drag anyway, a tenth of a second is worth the look IMO. And I dont race it anyway.

I plan of leaving my KR the way it came from SAI.

If the side scoop is not functional why bother? It's just another aero dynamic drag.

The KR is nearly perfect the way it came from SAI and the few things it could use (my short list of "they should haves") add to the car's charm and character! now and in years to come :salute::salute:

Scotty: I agree but the side scoops to me look too SS like. If I wanted an SS I would have done one. I don't want to emulate or seem like I'm " chasing" the SS. I have and like the KR better and a KR is what a KR is.

I have to say I get lots of admiring looks and comments with the KR. Car guys love it!

I installed them on my 07 GT... I believe that they are made by Ford as they have the unique black honeycomb insert that matched the insert in the OEM hood scoope, which no other manufacture produced. I elected to just use the 3M tape, which worked fine as long as you properly prep the car surface. I did not use the fasteners as I did not want to drill into the side panels. The 3M alone was enough. They looked OK and matched other items on the car to include the flux hood scoope, window louvers, etc., however, I personally would not consider installing them on my GT500...

I installed them on my 07 GT... I believe that they are made by Ford as they have the unique black honeycomb insert that matched the insert in the OEM hood scoope, which no other manufacture produced. I elected to just use the 3M tape, which worked fine as long as you properly prep the car surface. I did not use the fasteners as I did not want to drill into the side panels. The 3M alone was enough. They looked OK and matched other items on the car to include the flux hood scoope, window louvers, etc., however, I personally would not consider installing them on my GT500...

I love the look of the side scoops, their are so many non functional items on cars now, wha is one more? In my opinion it adds to the look.

post-8104-127292916419_thumb.jpg

post-8104-127292916419_thumb.jpg

Scotty: I agree but the side scoops to me look too SS like. If I wanted an SS I would have done one. I don't want to emulate or seem like I'm " chasing" the SS. I have and like the KR better and a KR is what a KR is.

I have to say I get lots of admiring looks and comments with the KR. Car guys love it!

And I also agree with what you are saying, I used to hate it when people with the GT500 (which I owned) also kinda chased the KR with all the mods and add ons. But...I wouldn't want to change a thing except maybe a different seat insert to designate a KR better than just a headrest and also again, the side of the Mustang just looks weak to me. It looks just like every other Mustang out there from the side except for 2 little tabs off the Cobra emblem and KR on the rocker stripe. The car looks crazy mean from the front, I just think it needs a meaner look from the side also. I'd rather have people mistake me for an SS than a regular Mustang. I'm still debating.

I put them on my '08 'vert, and I think that car looks way better, breaks up the slab side, and gives a little separation to all of the standard mustangs running around. You know what you have, and I know that its a KR, but most others just see Mustang, so I like the separation. JMHO

I got mine from a Ford dealer in MN, (found the link here on TS) and they had the best price by far. It was an odd name, can't remember at the moment, but when I do, I'll post.

I just called them up, told them want I wanted, boom, 4 days later, had 'em. Genuine Ford, prepped ready to paint, and with the M tape, install was a few short minutes per side

My GT/CS just got hit on the side, so I have one of the scoops off. The part # on the back of it is:

7R3J-63279E00-AFW

The "AFW" part of the number was stamped in the part after it was made. The rest of the part number is part of the mold.

Just out of curiosity, I took the black honeycomb part off the scoop skin and found two more part numbers. I guess the number above is for the assembly. The number for the skin is:

7R3J-SS-OR

The number for the honeycomb is:

7R3J-SS-1R

I did notice that the Super Snake scoops look identical to these. Perhaps that's why the numbers for the individual parts have "SS" in the part numbers?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Scotty, or anyone, did you get a set of these? I had ordered a set of the Ford CS side scoops a while back and when they arrived I was surprised to see where your instructed to drill two holes each side, along with the 3M tape. I'm not sure I want to go that far. Has anyone installed them with just the tape only without problems? I'd hate to have one fly off or have an edge not staying flat against the skin. bosscub

I did not purchase them yet. But the 3M tape is good enough. If you dont want them let me know.

Hey Scotty, or anyone, did you get a set of these? I had ordered a set of the Ford CS side scoops a while back and when they arrived I was surprised to see where your instructed to drill two holes each side, along with the 3M tape. I'm not sure I want to go that far. Has anyone installed them with just the tape only without problems? I'd hate to have one fly off or have an edge not staying flat against the skin. bosscub

I had them installed on a 07 GT with just the 3M tape. If you prep the panels well, then you shouldn't have any problems...

Archived