TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No more free Sirius

Bummer! I was listening to Sirius on my way to work this AM, but when I got in to get something for dinner there was no sound from the radio and a text message to call Sirius with a phone#.

Oh well, at least I got 2 months out of it for free. I pretty much only listened to the Blues station, and my commute is so short I only get to listen to a few songs anyway.

Bummer! I was listening to Sirius on my way to work this AM, but when I got in to get something for dinner there was no sound from the radio and a text message to call Sirius with a phone#.

Oh well, at least I got 2 months out of it for free. I pretty much only listened to the Blues station, and my commute is so short I only get to listen to a few songs anyway.

I just tried my Sirius radio on my 2006 GTH coupe and it still works. It would be interesting to see how many GTH owners are still getting the free Sirius radio ?? regards, Larry

I've got a lifetime subscription on my home/portable and yearly in my Mustang. I pretty much listen to Sirius and my iPod exclusively. If a passenger has a CD they want to hear, I'll play it and sometimes I listen to "Marketplace" on NPR, but that's it. I'll never be without Sirius. I can't stand all of the advertising on "free" radio. IMO, HD Radio is a joke. Sure, it's the same sound quality as Sirius, but you still have to spend half of your time listening to ads and DJ's yammering on about celebrity's lives.

I've got a lifetime subscription on my home/portable and yearly in my Mustang. I pretty much listen to Sirius and my iPod exclusively. If a passenger has a CD they want to hear, I'll play it and sometimes I listen to "Marketplace" on NPR, but that's it. I'll never be without Sirius. I can't stand all of the advertising on "free" radio. IMO, HD Radio is a joke. Sure, it's the same sound quality as Sirius, but you still have to spend half of your time listening to ads and DJ's yammering on about celebrity's lives.

Is Sirius supposed to have good sound quality? The Sirius in my car sounded like a fairly low bitrate MP3, noticably lower quality than regular FM.

I signed up for 3 months for like $9 over a year ago and they have not turned it off yet.

Pretty good deal :happy feet:

what did you do to not keep paying? I just signed up for 5 mos for $20 (email offer to get me back as a prior subscriber), and I don't plan on paying for it after the 5 mos....

what did you do to not keep paying? I just signed up for 5 mos for $20 (email offer to get me back as a prior subscriber), and I don't plan on paying for it after the 5 mos....

They just never shut it down, I heard this happens often. I did the same as you, it was a special offer for 3 months, but I have not been charged more and they never shut it off. I do not drive the car enough to subscribe, I only did the 3 months because it was summer and $9 was a great deal.

My free 6 months lasted for 2 years I think! After that I just started using Pandora on my iPhone for free.

My 06 GTH still works. Been told it is a lifetime subscription with the cars. Thought the 07s were the same.

Is Sirius supposed to have good sound quality? The Sirius in my car sounded like a fairly low bitrate MP3, noticably lower quality than regular FM.

Sounds like a problem with your set-up. Sirius is 100% digital. Mine sounds at least as good as a 128kbps .mp3. For the record, I've never heard an FM station that sounds anywhere close to even a 96kbps .mp3.

My 06 GTH still works. Been told it is a lifetime subscription with the cars. Thought the 07s were the same.

dont think the 2006's have lifetime sub. my 235 dosent work but 209 still works. the 2007 quit as we were driving it home just after purchase nov. 2008.

I recall the original story was (at least for the 06), Hertz was to buy a one-year complimentary subscription as the cars left service and went to auction. Mine arrived without service, however, and many people report still getting service three or four years on, so who really knows?

The way Sirius works with Hertz cars is this... When a car arrives in the fleet with Sirius, a manager at the location calls Sirius, gives them the receiver's EIN # and the unit is activated. The receiver stays activated until someone from Hertz calls Sirius and tells them the vehicle is leaving the fleet. If nobody calls, the receiver stays activated. This is why some GT-H's still have Sirius and some don't. It all comes down to whether Hertz employee called Sirius to deactivate the receiver or not.

I had a 6 month subscription that should have expired in july of 08 and I am still getting it for free !!!! Go baby Go !!! I love free music. :happy feet:

Scotty

• 1 year later...

The way Sirius works with Hertz cars is this... When a car arrives in the fleet with Sirius, a manager at the location calls Sirius, gives them the receiver's EIN # and the unit is activated. The receiver stays activated until someone from Hertz calls Sirius and tells them the vehicle is leaving the fleet. If nobody calls, the receiver stays activated. This is why some GT-H's still have Sirius and some don't. It all comes down to whether Hertz employee called Sirius to deactivate the receiver or not.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE . If your GT-H lost the Sirius radio do NOT call Sirius and complain. There was no such thing as a "lifetime" subscription. Someone at Hertz or Sirius has just dropped the ball in canceling the service on some of our cars. If you complain then we all lose. Let's face it, most of us got a lot of free months / years so we should be happy. My '06 still works fine and I'm cheap and don't want to pay when I only drive the car once or twice a month. In this bleak economy we need to get all we can get for nothing. regards, Larry

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE . If your GT-H lost the Sirius radio do NOT call Sirius and complain. There was no such thing as a "lifetime" subscription. Someone at Hertz or Sirius has just dropped the ball in canceling the service on some of our cars. If you complain then we all lose. Let's face it, most of us got a lot of free months / years so we should be happy. My '06 still works fine and I'm cheap and don't want to pay when I only drive the car once or twice a month. In this bleak economy we need to get all we can get for nothing. regards, Larry

Lost mine just last week ... hope everyone enjoys it free for as long as I did.

Thanks Larry couldn't have said it better myself. I have it in my daily driver and it's great to have but it is a luxury .

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably right, but I do recall when I was looking and buying my GT-H that many claimed Hertz was throwing in a "lifetime" subscription as a courtesy. Back in those days, I believe Sirius still offered that option for something like $499 or $599.

You are probably right, but I do recall when I was looking and buying my GT-H that many claimed Hertz was throwing in a "lifetime" subscription as a courtesy. Back in those days, I believe Sirius still offered that option for something like $499 or $599.

If this is no longer available, has anyone found any good deals on the service?

Archived