TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If you want a Red SHELBY GT 500

Under super bright lights - especially fluorescent - you may get a mismatch, but in normal outdoor lightning the red color upgrade matches Torch Red quite well. We've had quite a few come through on the 2005-6 Mustangs that offer it, and it looks great. The red interior looks horrible with the darker Redfire paint, but that color is not offered on GT500's, so it is not an issue.

Here's a picture that shows how closely the reds match with more natural lighting....

28.jpg

:cry:

I'm sure many of you read the svtperfomance site. Just last week I posted up titled 'Color feedback on Torch Red'. To me this is a disappointed as red was my first choice. I am not insulting any torch red owner or anyone who has/is ordering Torch Red. My point was that the concept car, and even my photos on my site www.ultimatemustangs.org that I took at our Toronto show last month is 100% NOT torch red. The concept and the Toronto car is a beautiful bright/brilliant red. To me torch is a disappointment. Again, red was my first choice. I can't tell you how crazy I've been going thinking about color but am now convinced that those cars are not torch red, and with so many torch red cars in mags, also convinced that they def'ly touch up/brighten/change the color before print.

I recently visiting many dealers, preparing myself on my choice should my call come soon to order, and basically left disappointed. Torch is not bad, but to me not a gorgeous red like the Vipers which is extremely bright/brilliant red. Torch is sort of dull, almost orangy under some light conditions...........much like this photo when enlarged.

So I will choose another color. I hope this helps other decide as if they think they are getting the concept color, you will be disappointed big time. Look around at photos, websites, etc........you'll soon agree.

SVTpower - the color you seek was used by Ford a few years back (mid-late '90's). It was called Rio Red and was quite popular on SVT Cobras. It was a truer red than the Torch Red.

I'm just happy they didn't bring back Performance Red (think 2000 Cobra R - all 300 of them were painted Perf Red). That was the orangest red I've ever seen - yuck!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 19 2006, 07:53 PM) 5628[/snapback]

SVTpower - the color you seek was used by Ford a few years back (mid-late '90's). It was called Rio Red and was quite popular on SVT Cobras. It was a truer red than the Torch Red.

I'm just happy they didn't bring back Performance Red (think 2000 Cobra R - all 300 of them were painted Perf Red). That was the orangest red I've ever seen - yuck!

:shrug: Actually, not sure you are right. I know someone with Rio Red on a 99 Cobra, and that too is different. Of the many times I've asked on many sites, re: the concept car, the few answers I received were that it was called 'SVT red' or 'Performance Red' or 'SVT Performance Red'. Whatever the case, it is the concept car or my Toronto Show pictures of the REd that I like (and some others too) and want........but can't get. Lighting does seems to affect red colors more than others though. Oh well.

I saw the red vert at the auto show with red inserts, and i have to say it looked like a mismatch. Prior to seeing it, i was planning to order red exterior with red insert interior, but after seeing it in person, the red interior is way too maroonish, and it doesn't match right. I'm going to order blue with tungsten stripes and do a solid interior instead. too bad no other insert colors available (like blue)

I saw the red vert at the auto show with red inserts, and i have to say it looked like a mismatch. Prior to seeing it, i was planning to order red exterior with red insert interior, but after seeing it in person, the red interior is way too maroonish, and it doesn't match right. I'm going to order blue with tungsten stripes and do a solid interior instead. too bad no other insert colors available (like blue)

Thanks for 1st hand input on the color mismatch....Photos can be deceiving without the correct lighting

That was what I thought too. I drove a red 05 GT with this interior and I thought it was too dark too.

Tint the Windows and You'll never notice!

many of the pics show the shelby with windows tinted...

any idea if some tinting will come with the car? or will have to be done aftermarket?

i agree the reds appear to mismatch, but with tinted windows, will not make a difference

The windows will not be tinted at the factory. And a word of caution to those who tint their windows: Ford no longer installs a felt strip in the door for the window to glide on, so 2005-6 Mustangs have a widespread and well known tendancy for tinting to be scratched badly. If you get tinting done, ask the installer to install a felt strip in the door so that the tinting isn't ruined.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 3 2006, 10:02 AM) 6843[/snapback]

The windows will not be tinted at the factory. And a word of caution to those who tint their windows: Ford no longer installs a felt strip in the door for the window to glide on, so 2005-6 Mustangs have a widespread and well known tendancy for tinting to be scratched badly. If you get tinting done, ask the installer to install a felt strip in the door so that the tinting isn't ruined.

great idea. thanks.

i think I may put a tint on the windows if the red mismatch is considerable.

I did not think about that. Very useful tip.

PJCobra-

finally dug up a couple photos of my Mach I

not in "show shape" like yours, but it still turns a few heads.

post-2947-1144616401_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1144616420_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1144616442_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1144616401_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1144616420_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1144616442_thumb.jpg

Nice car. Almost pulled the trigger on one of those this winter - guy wanted too much for a car that was nice, but was missing a lot of original equip. Still looking... but that's half the fun!

I was looking through some photos Robert put on the web from the dearborn proving grounds & I noticed under bright light the Exterior RED that is available doesn't match or even come close to the RED inserts for the interior. See Photo before you order. Hopefully they have corrected this.

post-768-1142778507_thumb.jpg

Man I hope that is just the lights. Could they really miss it by that much?? I'll be interested to see what my Grabber Orange really looks like.

I couldnt see this being that big of a deal. The GT with torch and the red interior looks fine, not perfect but you will never see three layers of clearcoat on leather either. The 02-04 Tbird had this same torch with red inserts, as well as the 10th aniversary cobra in 2003. With inserts its WAY toned down from all red seats and the black edging of the leather makes it hard to compare it directly to the paint like an all red seat as well. The main problem is with red is you can't do white with blue stripes :yup:

PJCobra-

Nice car indeed. Didn't your car came with the flat black hood or was it repainted all black?

the car originally was acapulco blue with black hood and side stripes .....

as i said, i am thinking about restoring to original condition. maybe in a couple of years.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived