TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TVS vs Bolt ons to stock sc

paac

I really like the TVS upgrade, but when I started to crunch the #s (cost and hp) I am having some trouble. Is the tvs under rated for power 605? It seems like w/ cai, pulleys, and tune on the stock sc you can get at least as much hp as the tvs. Especially considering that is the at the engine figure. I know it's a better design and if ford or an approved shop does the install you get a warranty. What else am I missing or am misinformed about??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the TVS upgrade, but when I started to crunch the #s (cost and hp) I am having some trouble. Is the tvs under rated for power 605? It seems like w/ cai, pulleys, and tune on the stock sc you can get at least as much hp as the tvs. Especially considering that is the at the engine figure. I know it's a better design and if ford or an approved shop does the install you get a warranty. What else am I missing or am misinformed about??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What you're missing is all of that wonderful extra HEAT that the bolt-ons will generate and dump into your engine which will in turn pull timing and lower Hp to prevent engine damage.................. So at the very least you need to add to your calculations the cost of RevanRacing's H/E and radiator to the cost of the bolt-ons (and even that won't help prevent ALL Hp loss from the extra heat). The stock blower is at it's limits of efficiency in stock form. Spinning it faster takes it out of it's sweet spot and is a losing proposition for SUSTAINED Hp.

That said, the TVS has been over-priced from the "git-go" and the Hp rating you refer to is the very safe Ford Racing tune. A tune from Lund or Justin usually puts down around 600 rwhp with the factory pulley. Again, don't go changing the pulley thinking it's free Hp........... there's that "heat" thing again...... My advice: Find a slightly used TVS for a reasonable price and get a tune from one of the above mentioned vendors and have fun! That's my plan once the Democrats get voted out and the economy recovers...........................

This is my $.02 from a road racer's perspective.

Excellent question.

I've been thinknig about this myself. I'm pulling 504 rwhp now with conservative mods. - A CAI, 2.65" pulley & tune from Justin at VMP. Quite happy with the results to say the least. Outstanding return on investment if you look at HP per $ increase (and ease of add on) :happy feet:

Justin at VMP rocks! :rockon:

A year or so down the road (knowing available options might change by then), I'm starting to look at the TVS & Pulley from VMP (looks like a nice package), and for that much of an investement (assuming appropriate handling of additional heat) what would be a reasonable expectation for end-state RWHP and TQ (starting with 493 lbs of TQ now)?

A year or so down the road (knowing available options might change by then), I'm starting to look at the TVS & Pulley from VMP (looks like a nice package), and for that much of an investement (assuming appropriate handling of additional heat) what would be a reasonable expectation for end-state RWHP and TQ (starting with 493 lbs of TQ now)?

When I had just a TVS w/2.65" pulley, CJ TB, CAI, and conservative tune, I put down 592rwhp on a 90F day. I'm hoping for over 700 rwhp when I get my car dyno tuned tomorrow (still using the TVS)!

Archived