TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Shifter and Drivetrain Warranty

Question... Does anybody know if installing a shelby short throw shifter will invalidate the transmission warranty? I'm having problems with my transmission; grinds when shifting into third. I want to take it into the dealership since it's still under warranty but, want to make sure that the installed shifter won't be a problem.

Thanks!

Question... Does anybody know if installing a shelby short throw shifter will invalidate the transmission warranty? I'm having problems with my transmission; grinds when shifting into third. I want to take it into the dealership since it's still under warranty but, want to make sure that the installed shifter won't be a problem.

Thanks!

As long as it's not the shifter causing the problem, it won't be a problem with warranty.

Phill

I have the Shelby shifter assy. on my 08 gt-500 & on my 07 SGT. My cars has been to the dealers several times for flywheel, clutch problems.and for regular maint. service, the tran has been replaced, & no one said anything about the shifter, headers, intake or rear griggs watts suspension.,,,I just bought a new Camaro from my local chevy dealer for my wife, they told me, If I change the intake or even a cat. back xhaust. all warranty is void!! ....Should of bought a Dodge Challenger, but wife said. I got my toys without a complaint, not one word about her Camaro...

Thanks for the replies! I didn't want to get burned if I took it down to the dealer and they refused to cover the warranty just because I put an aftermarket shifter in the car. Seems like dealerships are sometimes too quick to find an excuse to void the warranty... the camaro is a good example.

Thanks again!

I have the Shelby shifter assy. on my 08 gt-500 & on my 07 SGT. My cars has been to the dealers several times for flywheel, clutch problems.and for regular maint. service, the tran has been replaced, & no one said anything about the shifter, headers, intake or rear griggs watts suspension.,,,I just bought a new Camaro from my local chevy dealer for my wife, they told me, If I change the intake or even a cat. back xhaust. all warranty is void!! ....Should of bought a Dodge Challenger, but wife said. I got my toys without a complaint, not one word about her Camaro...

I think you'll find that dealerships of all vehicle types/makes tend to be a fountain of misinformation whether it be the specs of their products, warranties or maintenance. Before Harley started selling synthetic oil, I had a Harley parts guy tell me that syn was too slippery and wouldn't let the bearings turn therefore causing flat spots.

Warranties are governed by federal law (magnuson-moss warranty act) and various laws of the states. A mod will only cause a "warranty claim" (not the entire warranty) to be denied if the mod caused the failure.

The service manager is your friend. He is the one to make the initial decision about your claim, but his decision is not always final. Some dealerships are more customer friendly than others. If your dealership won't work with you, look for one that will. :beerchug:

Good Luck!

Update:

Incase anybody is interested... got word today from the dealership that they were completely rebuilding the transmission and replacing the clutch and flywheel (since I also mentioned the clutch chatter). All completely covered under the factory warranty!

How many miles on your car?

Archived