TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Press Release

Staff

Isn't Harley on the cliff overlooking bankruptcy?

Yup, for the second time. The first time was just bad management of the brand -- this time is the economy, I think ...toys are the first to suffer.

Harley is now turning to leasing to keep the lights on even after drastic cutbacks -- or so I've read. Up to about a month ago (last time I looked) you could lease a new low-end Harley for $99/mo here. Smart idea, imo, if it works to bridge the recession gap abyss. Good deal too.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just keep looking at the big picture and totally understand SA must make adjustments to align with current demand and survive during this economic downturn.

The last 3 years they've produced:

1,000 Shelby GT-Hs

1,700 KRs

10,000 to 15,000 Shelby GTs

2,000 to 3,000 Super Snakes

300 to 500 40th Annv

My numbers may be off....maybe someone can correct me (be nice).

Fast Forward to 2010:

300 to 400 Shelby GT350s

200 to 300 Super Snakes

I also realize they are still building Cobras and a few other specialty cars

My point is the markets have changed. They can no longer assembly line produce these cars at SA. The demand is not what is was.

It sounds like they are going back to being more of a mod shop and the speed shop could do well.

The most valuable marketable asset for SA now has to be the Carroll Shelby name. Due to the rebirth of these cars the next generation has been introduced to the Shelby Mustang. They might not have the money to buy one now but they might want a hat, shirt, jacket, and etc. If I were SA I would market the heck out of the brand. Their Shelby brand should be in every store in America. I'd like to walk into my local Walmart and see Shelby apparel. I think it would sell. America is now familiar with the brand. I remember a couple of years ago when the shelby minature cars were in Walgreens. They sold out immediately and they were 3x the price of the matchbox and other brands they carried.

Call me crazy (I'm sure someone will) but if selling hats at Walmart keeps them alive I'm all for it.

I wish everyone at SA the best during this transition.

SVT

Makes sense. It really comes down to the price point for the core Shelby product(s) [the cars]. In an economy such as this, sales of those products suffer, therefore they need a back-up plan to sell new products and services at a much lower price point. Leveraging the Shelby Brand (as you say) allows them to do this.

Makes sense. It really comes down to the price point for the core Shelby product(s) [the cars]. In an economy such as this, sales of those products suffer, therefore they need a back-up plan to sell new products and services at a much lower price point. Leveraging the Shelby Brand (as you say) allows them to do this.

I've taken some serious heat before for this, but I'll throw it out there again:

This is exactly the reason that Shelby should be looking to produce a turbo 4cyl car that appeals to a younger crowd. Capitalize on the "ricer" crowd - if you will. Think about a 200HP Fiesta.

Bring the young buyers in now for a Fiesta/Focus/Ranger type vehicle and they come back in 10 years for a Shelby Mustang or Shelby Taurus/Expedition.

The best way to survive is to create customers for life and appeal to a larger crowd.

If I thought they could survive only doing Mustangs I would say only do Mustangs, but that is not the reality.

Flame on my friends!

" I am looking for ways to hang on " ... at 220MPH! :evil2.0:

Chip ... Welcome to the Dark Side. :hysterical:

Brother Dbackg (t),

You got that right. When things are going down hill.....they pick up speed!!! And I swear, as I was crossing the finish line at 220+ mph I was thinking, "I sure hope this economy turns around".

And worst of all, when I tell people my business sucks so bad I can't buy a 2nd Ford GT, I get absolutely no sympathy! What's the deal with that? :headscratch:

Chip

post-12804-127182660933_thumb.jpg

post-12804-127182660933_thumb.jpg

I've taken some serious heat before for this, but I'll throw it out there again:

This is exactly the reason that Shelby should be looking to produce a turbo 4cyl car that appeals to a younger crowd. Capitalize on the "ricer" crowd - if you will. Think about a 200HP Fiesta.

Bring the young buyers in now for a Fiesta/Focus/Ranger type vehicle and they come back in 10 years for a Shelby Mustang or Shelby Taurus/Expedition.

The best way to survive is to create customers for life and appeal to a larger crowd.

If I thought they could survive only doing Mustangs I would say only do Mustangs, but that is not the reality.

Flame on my friends!

Exactly... and they could start with a Shelby SHO right now for those "adults" who want/need/can only afford an American sedan that's on par with some BMW or Mercedes models.

The days of SA retrofitting new Mustangs, in house, by the thousands is clearly over. The final cost of these creations is simply more than the market will support, unfortumate for SA and their loyal base but reality.

Accesories, clothing, and some well enginered, unique, performance packages for the current ford production car and truck line are their future. The new 5.0 GTs are as hot as fire and absolutely ripe for Shelby branded performance and appearence packages.

The days of SA retrofitting new Mustangs, in house, by the thousands is clearly over. The final cost of these creations is simply more than the market will support, unfortumate for SA and their loyal base but reality.

How does Roush make it work?

Flame on my friends!

Sportcars what you say is a possible change that SA should consider, but the Shelby name on that type of car just doesn't represent what Carroll's name stands for. Amy tried different vehicles like a SS pickup, SE, SA, and all those different GT's trying to satisfly a few. Another problem was they should have started with lower end car so after 2 or 3 years people could trade their Shelby for a better one. There arent to many people out there that would trade their 40th, SS, and KR for a GT350. Car company's each year improve their cars so people will trade up. Look how Ford has improved the 2011 Mustang GT over a 2007. The way I see it, they will continue downsizing to accommodate 300 to 500 cars a year.We will have to wait and see what direction they will go. lurk.gif

How does Roush make it work?

Roush did 447 '09s with units from that year still unsold. Does that small volume "work" for Roush? How did it work for Saleen. Seriously tough business that markets to an extremely small buyer pool who has come to expect steep discounting from retail tags.

Brother Dbackg (t),

You got that right. When things are going down hill.....they pick up speed!!! And I swear, as I was crossing the finish line at 220+ mph I was thinking, "I sure hope this economy turns around".

And worst of all, when I tell people my business sucks so bad I can't buy a 2nd Ford GT, I get absolutely no sympathy! What's the deal with that? :headscratch:

Chip

:hysterical:

I feel for ya Chip.

Sportcars what you say is a possible change that SA should consider, but the Shelby name on that type of car just doesn't represent what Carroll's name stands for. lurk.gif

It was in 1986 and 1987 in the form of the Shelby GLHS.

Roush did 447 '09s with units from that year still unsold. Does that small volume "work" for Roush? How did it work for Saleen. Seriously tough business that markets to an extremely small buyer pool who has come to expect steep discounting from retail tags.

Does anybody know how many GT500's are sitting around unsold?

Thanks

Saleen's issues where bad management after Steve sold his stake.

I don't know much about Roush other then the performance numbers. From what I see the Roush model works and if they produced less then 500 cars a year and runs more of a parts development and sales (along with the racing teams) business for then why shouldn't Shelby do the same.

Shelby was thrust back in to the main stream with the GT500, the question now is how do they continue to ride that wave? I personnaly think it would be a mistake to see the GT500 sent to pasture as Ford has the means to produce a nich car. Shelby can leverage this by lending the name and suppling branded speed parts, and few specialty cars.

On the flip side, part of the mystic of Shelby is that the car is tied to an era of better days gone by. If Shelby had produced the GT350 & GT500 with every model year for the last 45+ years would there be the excitement and allure of the name and the car today? I'm guessing the answer is "no." So, I reluctantly suggest that maybe producing such storied cars should be a once in a life time event that a few where lucky to see twice.

I would settle for a Shelby Fiesta RS with 200 hp. In a 2000 lb car that will be a pocket rocket. I have the newest model 09 Fiesta in front of my door now with a 60hp 1.2 and it is a peppy car. It is a temporary loaner but I kinda like it.

El SHELBY hit the nail on the head. The current Shelby market is @ a breaking point . Stupid money in 07 bought Hemi cuda's and anything with a BIG block are now stuck with those cars. The muscle car market is in a free fall and that is not good for new muscle cars . To many new muscle cars from Ford, Chevy, and Chryler not enought money chasing those cars. The muscle car market needs time to correct , which means co's will cut back or go out of business. Now throw in gas supply and MPG standards and maybe the market will not recover soon enought for these co's. I think the people who wanted a Shelby have one.

So, I reluctantly suggest that maybe producing such storied cars should be a once in a life time event that a few where lucky to see twice.

Jason,

That is the first time I have been called "old" and "lucky" at the same time. :D It is hard to describe the visceral feeling of seeing those cars in the 60's. They were just so different. There were muscle cars all over the place, but the GT350 was just an animal of a car in comparison.

Jim

El SHELBY hit the nail on the head. The current Shelby market is @ a breaking point . Stupid money in 07 bought Hemi cuda's and anything with a BIG block are now stuck with those cars. The muscle car market is in a free fall and that is not good for new muscle cars . To many new muscle cars from Ford, Chevy, and Chryler not enought money chasing those cars. The muscle car market needs time to correct , which means co's will cut back or go out of business. Now throw in gas supply and MPG standards and maybe the market will not recover soon enought for these co's. I think the people who wanted a Shelby have one.

+1

I would settle for a Shelby Fiesta RS with 200 hp. In a 2000 lb car that will be a pocket rocket. I have the newest model 09 Fiesta in front of my door now with a 60hp 1.2 and it is a peppy car. It is a temporary loaner but I kinda like it.

or this :drool:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2010-ford-fiesta-monster-world-rally-ar84191.html

Jason,

That is the first time I have been called "old" and "lucky" at the same time. :D It is hard to describe the visceral feeling of seeing those cars in the 60's. They were just so different. There were muscle cars all over the place, but the GT350 was just an animal of a car in comparison.

Jim

Ha! That reminds me of an old argument. One would say "Money is wasted on the old", but another would say "Youth is wasted on the young!". At the moment I land with one foot on either side with the benefits and the heartache of both.

I'm too young to have seen Shelby or the muscle car era in it's prime, but when I discovered my first Car Craft magazine and shortly there after Shelby at the age of 14 or 15 I was hooked!

I don't think we are seeing anything other than what should be expected of Shelby. The only constant in life is ever progressing change and all we can do is plan for the worst and work towards achieving the best.

John Luft's Biography

John Luft - President, CFO, Director John Luft, President of Carroll Shelby International Inc., is responsible for the day-to-day management and operations and all financial reporting of the Company which is the parent of Carroll Shelby Licensing and Shelby Automobiles.

[...]

A graduate of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Mr.Luft holds a Bachelors degree in Marketing and Speech Communications.

Fight on!

So does this mean the GT350 will be a pre-title car like the SGT? I thought we were going to be the only pre-title Shelby Mustangs produced? lurk.gif

The 350 is a post title car. The car must have a registered owner to have it built. Will there be some dealers that figure out a way to cheat the system? Probably, but then they have to sit on $35,000 for the upfit that they can't floor with the FoMoCo credit or their local bank.

I don't think that many dealers will take that deal.

And unless somesort of miricle happens in the future, there will be no more ship through programs with FoMoCo and Shelby. Consider the SGT's and the GTH's as the one and only group of cars that were built like the 1965-1967 Shelby cars were.

The 350 is a post title car. The car must have a registered owner to have it built. Will there be some dealers that figure out a way to cheat the system? Probably, but then they have to sit on $35,000 for the upfit that they can't floor with the FoMoCo credit or their local bank.

And unless somesort of miricle happens in the future, there will be no more ship through programs with FoMoCo and Shelby. Consider the SGT's and the GTH's as the one and only group of cars that were built like the 1965-1967 Shelby cars were.

:yup:

Along with the KR.

Ha! That reminds me of an old argument. One would say "Money is wasted on the old", but another would say "Youth is wasted on the young!". At the moment I land with one foot on either side with the benefits and the heartache of both.

I'm too young to have seen Shelby or the muscle car era in it's prime, but when I discovered my first Car Craft magazine and shortly there after Shelby at the age of 14 or 15 I was hooked!

I don't think we are seeing anything other than what should be expected of Shelby. The only constant in life is ever progressing change and all we can do is plan for the worst and work towards achieving the best.

I was going to post something similar to this, but Jason beat me to it. I have very similar experiences with Shelbys in my

youth and now in my 40s. The mainstream market for Shelby cars has gone soft because of the economic downturn and

saturated market based on those economic conditions. So the press release says it all in terms of how SA plans to survive:

focus on low-rate high end product offerings for the few, and Shelby branded Performance Parts for the rest of us. Jason

calls it the Roush business model. And given that model, it probably makes little sense for the numbers

and types of people employed who were suited for the previous business model. I wish them the best of luck changing course

to keep SA viable, and hope they can learn from the positive and negative customer experiences that have been expressed

in these forums.

-Tom

You forgot the KR's. These cars will be very rare over time.

yup.gif

Along with the KR.

You forgot the KR's. These cars will be very rare over time.

OOOPS!blush.gif Sorry about that...YES, KR's too!

Archived