2011 Mustang GT vs BMW M3

TX STIG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man those numbers are amazing haven't seen a comparo that close on paper before. Didn't realize the M3's were that expensive nearly double that of the GT. Think Ford has made great leaps in the interior department but still think the BMW is more plush...it's more of a luxury car with some muscle and the Mustang GT is a muscle car with a luxurious interior.

i had an encounter with an M5 when the weather was under 30 (hP higher) at a red light---he looked over my car and we both launched--id say i puled maybe a car length on him and was pulling more when i shifted into 3rd (it was at 7AM on a Sunday, so no treaffic)---to me, it sounded like he was pushing the car--but i was surprised at the Shelby--my vert grabbed pretty well,not too much spin--bob

Nice Torched!!! M5's aren't those V10's, saw and heard one at the local car hang out here sounded like a Viper. What's the HP numbers on them I wonder 500+? I'd imagine it's heavier then the GT00's. Way too much $$$ for me to ever buy haha, I'd rather have a GT500 and C6 ZO6 in my garages.

yeah,its a V10, 500hp, 4300 lbs, 90K, 11mpg--rev limit is 7500rpm, from what Ive read it does 1/4 in 12.4---so it should be a good race for a stock Shelby--the guy i was fooling with had a passeneger, and 100lbs equals 0.1 secs in 1/4 mile, or a car length

Oh the horror!!! How ever can a cheap domestic car riding on an antiquated rear wagon axle ever be better than the vaunted Bavarian Manure Wagon, I mean BMW M3? :slapfight: :fool:

In all fairness the M3-5 is certainly more luxurious then the Mustang/Shelby but also suffers from horrendous depreciation.

Edited by Shipwright

I'd take the M3...

Now if you were comparing Apples to Apples with regards to price?... I'd take an '11 SVT GT500, M3's are like vettes.. everybody has one.

I currently have a 07 GT500 and drove a 2009 M-3. I'd definitly take an M-3 over a 2011 GT or 2011 GT500 ( Mind you I have a 2011 GT500 thats been built and is enroute to my dealer as we speak). The M-3 is far superior in quality, handling, and brakes. Not as much low end torque as the Shelby. If price were a consideration, that would be another matter. The M-3 does everything well and is, IMHO, one of the best overall cars out there. The wife loved it. She's getting a used 2008 BMW535I that is just off a lease and is pristine. Drove it yesterday and thats an impressive car!! Much different then my Shelbys. They are two very different cars.

Edited by 03reptile

I currently have a 07 GT500 and drove a 2009 M-3. I'd definitly take an M-3 over a 2011 GT or 2011 GT500 ( MInd you I have a 2011 GT500 thats been built and is enroute to my dealer as we speak). The M-3 is far superior in quality, handling, and brakes. Not as much low end torque as the Shelby. If price were a consideration, that would be another matter. The M-3 does everything well and is, IMHO, one of the best overall cars out there. The wife loved it. She's getting a used 2008 BMW535I that is just off a lease and is pristine. Drove it yesterday and thats an impressive car!! Much different then my Shelbys. They are two very different cars.

have you driven a new Shelby yet--my friend is an SCCA racer with an M3,and we rode in my car then his--he drove both--he couldnt believe the handling and response of the GT500, and even he said it was superior to the M3--now if youre in full race mode on a track,itd be a different story, but for driving around town,its a great car.Even My STS V blows away his M3 easily---bob

Not as much low end torque as the Shelby? Really? NO WAY?

How about "no low end torque at all". The M3 has less torque than even a 2005 Mustang GT.

I'd hardly call 295 lb/ft nothing, and in the M-3 it comes on full at 3900 rpm and max rpm is above 8400K where the 420 hp comes home. I think the 05 GT developes 320 lb/ft but at a higher 4500RPM, and developes the full 300hp at 5,750 rpm. Don't think you would do well with the 05 GT. The GT has 4.6 L and the BMW is almost 4.0L so that makes the difference. I'm not going to argue the point, but the M-3 engine is a delight and naturally aspirated, as well. It is a different car as I previously stated, but a fantastic overall vehicle, nevertheless. I'd love to have one. We all can appreciate our car choices for their individual strengths and weaknesses and thats why there are so many of em! Drive an M-3 and you'll be impressed.

have you driven a new Shelby yet--my friend is an SCCA racer with an M3,and we rode in my car then his--he drove both--he couldnt believe the handling and response of the GT500, and even he said it was superior to the M3--now if youre in full race mode on a track,itd be a different story, but for driving around town,its a great car.Even My STS V blows away his M3 easily---bob

I haven't driven a 2010, which I understand has a much improved suspension over my 07, but hoepfully in about two or three weeks I'll have my 2011 GT500 to compare. My 07 has not impressed me in the suspension dept. Your STS V is a rocket, no denying that. Those things are sleepers. I found that the BMW M3 was much superior in ride comfort, suspension, and brakes compared to my Shelby and if you were in a hard corner with undulations and bumps through it, the BMW's IRS handled it with ease where my Shelby would have chattered across, causing a real adrenlin surge! Disadvantage to the SRA. As an aside, I rode with a BMW Motorsport professional driver around the circuit at Road Atlanta last fall, in a stock BMW M5 and what that car could do was just short of amazing. One simple thing that brings me back to the Shelby is all the appreciative thumbs up you get and the stares from other drivers. I have to admit to a little self-puffyness in that category. If I had a new M3, only the very discerning, would notice it from all the other 3 series out there, and thats what keeps me in the Shelby, albiet, 500 plus horses don't hurt. Hope my new ride will exceed my expectations.

I currently have a 07 GT500 and drove a 2009 M-3. I'd definitly take an M-3 over a 2011 GT or 2011 GT500 ( Mind you I have a 2011 GT500 thats been built and is enroute to my dealer as we speak). The M-3 is far superior in quality, handling, and brakes. Not as much low end torque as the Shelby. If price were a consideration, that would be another matter. The M-3 does everything well and is, IMHO, one of the best overall cars out there. The wife loved it. She's getting a used 2008 BMW535I that is just off a lease and is pristine. Drove it yesterday and thats an impressive car!! Much different then my Shelbys. They are two very different cars.

"I'd definitely take an M3 over a 2011 GT500... I have a GT500 enroute" ... that makes no sense, why would you say that and order a GT500? You should of ordered an M3.

"I'd definitely take an M3 over a 2011 GT500... I have a GT500 enroute" ... that makes no sense, why would you say that and order a GT500? You should of ordered an M3.

I think he said he liked the looks the Shelby got him.

He should get an M3 and put a giant kamikazee spoiler on the back.....that would get him plenty of "looks"!

I can't stand BMWs, they lack the feral looks and bite of an American muscle car.

About a year ago when I seemed to be in an endless spiral of car research and test drives I took an '09 M3 for a test drive. It was nice, it was expensive, but I didn't feel a love affair. However, the test drive in the 135 made me giggle like a kid and was one of the most fun test drives I've ever had. The salesman thanked me for finally taking him on a test drive in a manner for which it was built, and my wife beat the sh!t out of me making her palms sweat.

Moral of the story...the BMW 135 is one bad ass car!

Edited by TX STIG

Read my reply to Torched10, and you have your answer. A new M-3 is a little out of my financial reach and I'd want a new one! For my financial situation, the Shelby is the best bang for my buck and the new one should really be great. Tell you what, when I get the new one I'll post a personal comparison.!

Edited by 03reptile

M3=Middle management.

I'd take a 2002 tii or a 3.0 for grins and giggles...

Funny you should mention the 2002. I had a European version 1971 2002TI for 24 years before I finally sold it for 2K more then I paid for it in 1971. What a tossable and fun little car that was. My kids still are pissed that I sold it. I've also had Mustangs since 1968 and always have loved them, especially the Shelbys. Theres nothing like the acceleration of my 2007 and the soon to be mine 2011, should be even better.

About a year ago when I seemed to be in an endless spiral of car research and test drives I took an '09 M3 for a test drive. It was nice, it was expensive, but I didn't feel a love affair. However, the test drive in the 135 made me giggle like a kid and was one of the most fun test drives I've ever had. The salesman thanked me for finally taking him on a test drive in a manner for which it was built, and my wife beat the sh!t out of me making her palms sweat.

Moral of the story...the BMW 135 is one bad ass car!

I too, drove a 135I, and I fully agree. What a point and squirt car that is! Great brakes and handling. It won't stay with the Shelby, but for an all around nice car, its hard to beat.

I think he said he liked the looks the Shelby got him.

He should get an M3 and put a giant kamikazee spoiler on the back.....that would get him plenty of "looks"!

I can't stand BMWs, they lack the feral looks and bite of an American muscle car.

Ezareth, Come on........ you're a car guy, and as such, you should be able to appreciate all cars for their various strengths. Don't say you can't stand a car! Bet if you won an M-3 in a contest, you'd at least drive it before you traded it on a new Shelby!! I definitly love my Shelby more then the BMWs, but I also give them a respectful nod for what they can do. I drove BMWs in Germany a couple years back and that gave me a real appreciation for their high speed stability and the buttoned down feel of them. Wouldn't have tried those sustained high speeds with my stock suspension 07 Shelby...too scary! I agree that the look of the Shelby screams strength and muscle over the BMW. But the Germans cars are more subtle in their approach. Many of the Germans have the factory delete the series badge from the rear so others don't know whats under the hood. Not my cup of tea, but to each his own. And by the way, the Germans LOVE our Shelbys.

Edited by 03reptile

Ezareth, Come on........ you're a car guy, and as such, you should be able to appreciate all cars for their various strengths. Don't say you can't stand a car! Bet if you won an M-3 in a contest, you'd at least drive it before you traded it on a new Shelby!! I definitly love my Shelby more then the BMWs, but I also give them a respectful nod for what they can do. I drove BMWs in Germany a couple years back and that gave me a real appreciation for their high speed stability and the buttoned down feel of them. Wouldn't have tried those sustained high speeds with my stock suspension 07 Shelby...too scary! I agree that the look of the Shelby screams strength and muscle over the BMW. But the Germans cars are more subtle in their approach. Many of the Germans have the factory delete the series badge from the rear so others don't know whats under the hood. Not my cup of tea, but to each his own. And by the way, the Germans LOVE our Shelbys.

They should they are cooler...especially mine...happy%20feet.gifhysterical.gif

Sorry my whole family has worked at Ford my whole life. Father, Uncles, Aunts, Grandfather. I have a built in hatred for everything foreign I suppose.

That being said I think the logical reason that a BMW M3 can't compare to a Shelby is because this is America, not Europe. We don't have the Autobahn, and rarely does the fine tuned and admittedly superior suspension and handling of the M3 come into play during our cruising in the States. American's have always been Thrill Seekers sacrificing safety and fuel economy for more and more power where the Europeans have always had a more "refined" approach to things. Most places I've seen in the country that have turns and bends demanding an advanced suspension have been single lane roads. There is nothing like the thrill of lining up at a red light with a fellow American and laying down some tread to the squeal of tires and the roar of American Muscle car. I have yet to hear the Exhaust in ANY European or Japanese vehicle that rivals the Mustang's familiar rumble.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I can't appreciate a car that isn't constantly fighting to kill me, which is the same reason I can't stand automatic transmissions. Perhaps it is some instinctual presense in me that demands that I remain fit to survive, to sacrifice creature comforts and things that make you soft or dull your senses.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry my whole family has worked at Ford my whole life. Father, Uncles, Aunts, Grandfather. I have a built in hatred for everything foreign I suppose.

That being said I think the logical reason that a BMW M3 can't compare to a Shelby is because this is America, not Europe. We don't have the Autobahn, and rarely does the fine tuned and admittedly superior suspension and handling of the M3 come into play during our cruising in the States. American's have always been Thrill Seekers sacrificing safety and fuel economy for more and more power where the Europeans have always had a more "refined" approach to things. Most places I've seen in the country that have turns and bends demanding an advanced suspension have been single lane roads. There is nothing like the thrill of lining up at a red light with a fellow American and laying down some tread to the squeal of tires and the roar of American Muscle car. I have yet to hear the Exhaust in ANY European or Japanese vehicle that rivals the Mustang's familiar rumble.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I can't appreciate a car that isn't constantly fighting to kill me, which is the same reason I can't stand automatic transmissions. Perhaps it is some instinctual presense in me that demands that I remain fit to survive, to sacrifice creature comforts and things that make you soft or dull your senses.

Just my 2 cents.

[/quote

Well said. Foreign vehicles do take away from the sale of American iron, so I can sympathize with you. But they do keep us frosty, as well. You've exactly described our relationships with our Shelbys. I like the part about them trying to kill us, sometimes. Can definitely empathize with that axiom!! There is no known substitute for the exhaust note from an American V-8. The European suspensions do give you more ability to gather things up if you overcook a corner, as compared with our car; however, as you indicated this doesn't happen that often........hopefully. Its nice to have that reserve if you can afford it. Our Shelbys do keep us focused and careful about when and where to release the Krakan ! If you're lax, like their name infers, they can bite you. Good two cents worth!!

Read my reply to Torched10, and you have your answer. A new M-3 is a little out of my financial reach and I'd want a new one! For my financial situation, the Shelby is the best bang for my buck and the new one should really be great. Tell you what, when I get the new one I'll post a personal comparison.!

I thought they are in the same price range $55,000? I don't know for sure.. Anyway, maybe everybody just needs one of each.

I thought they are in the same price range $55,000? I don't know for sure.. Anyway, maybe everybody just needs one of each.

I'm for that! The new M3 is probably low 60's with a decent number of options. Can't justify that price tag at present.