TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Big Can I Go?

I know this has been discussed before but I'm working off my IPhone so I'm not willing to perform a search, sorry. While detailing the SGT late last night I found framing nail in the sidewall of the driver side rear tire. The nail must be two inches long and the only thing holding the air inside. Since I must replace one tire (not willing to try plugging it) I might as well replace both rear tires for something with a little more meat.

What is the widest tire I can go with on the 8.5" (I think it's 8.5) stock wheel?

Thanks,

J-

I know this has been discussed before but I'm working off my IPhone so I'm not willing to perform a search, sorry. While detailing the SGT late last night I found framing nail in the sidewall of the driver side rear tire. The nail must be two inches long and the only thing holding the air inside. Since I must replace one tire (not willing to try plugging it) I might as well replace both rear tires for something with a little more meat.

What is the widest tire I can go with on the 8.5" (I think it's 8.5) stock wheel?

Thanks,

J-

I think the 255s are about the max for the 8.5 inch wheel....I'm running the 285s on the rears with 9.5 inch GT500 wheel....

Thanks, Continital shows that a 275 will fit. The problem I'm seeing with going with wider tire in most cases is that the diameter is not as tall as the stock tire. I don't really want a rear tire that is shorter then the fronts.

I had a set of GT500 wheels but had to sell then less then two months later to scrape up the cash to pay taxes. Now that I have to replace a tire, which I hate replacing only one tire, so I want to replace at least two with a better tire. For the price of two better tires I'm only a couple hundred from what I sold the GT500 wheels & tires. This sucks. My wife will only let me drive her truck for so long so I have to replace the tire asap and I'm not going to find another set of GT500 wheels and tires for $600 with decent tread in one week.

Thanks, Continital shows that a 275 will fit. The problem I'm seeing with going with wider tire in most cases is that the diameter is not as tall as the stock tire. I don't really want a rear tire that is shorter then the fronts.

I had a set of GT500 wheels but had to sell then less then two months later to scrape up the cash to pay taxes. Now that I have to replace a tire, which I hate replacing only one tire, so I want to replace at least two with a better tire. For the price of two better tires I'm only a couple hundred from what I sold the GT500 wheels & tires. This sucks. My wife will only let me drive her truck for so long so I have to replace the tire asap and I'm not going to find another set of GT500 wheels and tires for $600 with decent tread in one week.

Well, going with a tad shorter sidewall won't hurt...if you remember, the GT500 tires are 255/45 fronts and 285/40 on the rear....Only thing to watch out for going with the 275s would be rubbing if you don't have an adjustable pan hard bar...especially on the driver's side...Cheapest I saw GT500 wheels and tires for on ebay is 899.00 + shipping....Good luck!

I paid $600 for the set I had with minimal wear (the tire speced out as new in the tread depth) and then sold them for that with 2k miles on them. I've seen several trade between $500 and $800. But your right, I'll be lucky to find another set for $600. They guys selling them on eBay for $899 are nuts in my oppinion.

255's are the widest I'd recommend on a 8.5 rim. You can cram a 285 on them, but the sidewall bulges badly. It's just not safe to run a tire that wide on these rims. Now's a good time to shop around for some 9.5-10.5 wide rims.

Thanks Ken, unfortunitly I don't have the coin for new wheels and tires unless I sell my originals but really don't want to do that. Unless I can find something quick I'll have to buy another POS KDWS.

You figure I could get $150 a wheel/tire for the OEM's? Sell three off as spares to three individuals?

Thanks Ken, unfortunitly I don't have the coin for new wheels and tires unless I sell my originals but really don't want to do that. Unless I can find something quick I'll have to buy another POS KDWS.

You figure I could get $150 a wheel/tire for the OEM's? Sell three off as spares to three individuals?

If you do decide to sell them off, I'd be interested in one for a spare...........

:hysterical:

Thanks,

J-

Never plug a sidewall unless its an ex-wife :hysterical: Any rim or tire advice the pro's are tirerack.com !!!! They only tell the safe way and will never sell a rim or tire past the safe zone.

The kumho's I have are great traction and cheap from tire rack there summer tires

Easy money buddy. I sold mine in a day for $600 on Craigs, with people calling off the hook to snag them up. Others here that have more patience than I have gotten rid of their stockers for more than that.

Well, I think I'll just replace the one with another KDWS unless I've lost enough tread on current tires that addiing a new tire to the mix may cause me issues down the road.

Thanks for the input guys.

Well, I think I'll just replace the one with another KDWS unless I've lost enough tread on current tires that addiing a new tire to the mix may cause me issues down the road.

have you considered widening the rears to 10.5? I did this w/ my CS66 wheels for less than $500 and put the 275 Continentals on as that was the largest they had available at the time in the DW tire. I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to find and post for you. Craig

Can you widen the stock wheel to 10.5 with it's offset/back spacing? I might be willing to do that if didn't want big brakes at some point. I'm not to big performing a mod that isn't a keeper. I've seen your widened CS66's, looks killer but $400-$500 to widen then $400-$500 for two tires and I'm nearly at the cost of a complete set of new wheels and tires. I don't plan to always run the stock wheels, but I also don't want to loose the stock wheels. Particularly when it sounds like the polished wheel on the '08 SGT are hard to come by.

Can you widen the stock wheel to 10.5 with it's offset/back spacing? I might be willing to do that if didn't want big brakes at some point. I'm not to big performing a mod that isn't a keeper. I've seen your widened CS66's, looks killer but $400-$500 to widen then $400-$500 for two tires and I'm nearly at the cost of a complete set of new wheels and tires. I don't plan to always run the stock wheels, but I also don't want to loose the stock wheels. Particularly when it sounds like the polished wheel on the '08 SGT are hard to come by.

I understand. I faced the same dilema when I did mine, i.e. big brakes, etc. I did check on the stock wheels at the time and there were like 4 Ford depots that had the orig. wheels still in stock. I eventually sold the stocks since I figured CS wheels were just as good, at least for me. Should be able to add 2" to the stock wheel w/ no problem. Call WeldCraft and they are very helpful w/ any questions you might have. I was extremely pleased w/ there craftsmanship. Never easy to decide when it comes to wheels/tires and the great thing is you can always change them up later. Craig

If money is a concern right now, like I know it is for most everyone, just put one new tire on there for now and don't worry about it....a few 32/nds of tread is NOT going to cause you any problems anywhere down the road....save your money and get what you finally want later when you can afford it...

Archived