TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction control lockout clip

USA-1

Want to get up behind the dash tomorrow to get that clip off the button for the traction control. Anybody done this ? and can give me a pointer or two. Looks like the glove box door will drop down to get acess behind the panel or does that whole panel pop out?

Thanks

Want to get up behind the dash tomorrow to get that clip off the button for the traction control. Anybody done this ? and can give me a pointer or two. Looks like the glove box door will drop down to get acess behind the panel or does that whole panel pop out?

Thanks

Whoa, whoa, whoa, no getting under the dash involved. This is maybe a 30 second operation, pop, the traction control button off with a screwdriver, butter knife or anything you have laying around. Be gentle, just get the end of the tool under the TCS button and a gentle knudge up will pop it right off, pull the clip out, and pop the button back on. I know there are plenty of threads with pics on it here, I'll see if I can find one. Here's one:

link

Whoa, whoa, whoa, no getting under the dash involved. This is maybe a 30 second operation, pop, the traction control button off with a screwdriver, butter knife or anything you have laying around. Be gentle, just get the end of the tool under the TCS button and a gentle knudge up will pop it right off, pull the clip out, and pop the button back on. I know there are plenty of threads with pics on it here, I'll see if I can find one. Here's one:

link

Ok...I have heard a lot about this traction control think...Now I want to show my limited mechanical knowledge and ask....What does this do. Does it make the car corner better if it is on or off. Would my 07 GT-H have a clip or not. Should i be looking ...again as you can tell I could use a good briefing on this. Thanks

Soft Top

I just took mine off last week. The clip flew out when I popped the button off.

You can see a little bit of the metal above the button:

shelby12.jpg

Button popped off using an old dull pocketknife:

shelby13.jpg

What the clip looks like:

shelby14.jpg

I just took mine off last week. The clip flew out when I popped the button off.

You can see a little bit of the metal above the button:

shelby12.jpg

Button popped off using an old dull pocketknife:

shelby13.jpg

What the clip looks like:

shelby14.jpg

OK ...What is the difference in the performance of the car ......with and without the clip.

Thanks

OK ...What is the difference in the performance of the car ......with and without the clip.

Thanks

I'm no expert on how it works, but I'll try a laymans description.

When it's on you won't be able to do a burn out because the computer senses that there's wheel spin, and it attempts to slow the car down.

A better real world description is that if you're driving in wet conditions and you start to spin out, the traction control engages to reduce the speed of the car to hopefully allow the car to regain traction and not get in an accident.

If you like giving your car a little gas while going around corners to get the back end to step out a little, you should turn it off. Otherwise the traction control light will come on, and the car will attempt to reduce speed (???applying brakes/removing timing???) so the car comes back under control.

It doesn't have any effect on performance, unless it detects wheel spin. I haven't read the owners manual, but I'm sure it says something similar in there.

Any experts out there feel free to fill in the details.

I'm no expert on how it works, but I'll try a laymans description.

When it's on you won't be able to do a burn out because the computer senses that there's wheel spin, and it attempts to slow the car down.

A better real world description is that if you're driving in wet conditions and you start to spin out, the traction control engages to reduce the speed of the car to hopefully allow the car to regain traction and not get in an accident.

If you like giving your car a little gas while going around corners to get the back end to step out a little, you should turn it off. Otherwise the traction control light will come on, and the car will attempt to reduce speed (???applying brakes/removing timing???) so the car comes back under control.

It doesn't have any effect on performance, unless it detects wheel spin. I haven't read the owners manual, but I'm sure it says something similar in there.

Any experts out there feel free to fill in the details.

The clips were installed on all Hertz cars, mainly to save tires. The little clip just stops you from being able to turn the traction control off. It just holds the button out so that you cannot press it. Every time the car is started, the traction control is set to "on". The button allows you to turn the traction control off, which allows you to do awsome burn outs! But also drag racing is much better with the traction control off, assuming that you can control the tire spin. You don't want anything holding your car back when drag racing.

link

Thanks for the tip. Got it out last weekend .

Thanks for the tip. Got it out last weekend .

Does anyone have one of these clips that I can buy? I have a wedding coming up and have been asked if I would lend the bride and groom my car and would like to have it installed before I let the car go for the special day.

Does anyone have one of these clips that I can buy? I have a wedding coming up and have been asked if I would lend the bride and groom my car and would like to have it installed before I let the car go for the special day.

YIKES...The "Special Day" might involve drinking...RUN w/ your keys in pocket and far far away! hysterical.gif

YIKES...The "Special Day" might involve drinking...RUN w/ your keys in pocket and far far away! hysterical.gif

But what if I am the one drinking?

No, its for a friend and her future hubby, I just want to make sure (if possible)

If you're not set on getting an original, just get a paperclip and some needle nose pliers. It seems to be the same thickness as your standard 'large' paperclip. Once you take the button off, you should be able to bend one up to work just fine.

Hello Larry

The Bud man is gone but my car did not have one and he found one laying around in the shop so I could archive. SAI may be worth a try. Maybe Roger S. might be able to help - another cutomer service kind of guy.

Good luck.

Hello Larry

The Bud man is gone but my car did not have one and he found one laying around in the shop so I could archive. SAI may be worth a try. Maybe Roger S. might be able to help - another cutomer service kind of guy.

Good luck.

I spoke with Roger a few months back but he was unable to find one laying around, it would be cool to get an original. Hopefully someone out there has 2 and is willing to part with one.

If you're not set on getting an original, just get a paperclip and some needle nose pliers. It seems to be the same thickness as your standard 'large' paperclip. Once you take the button off, you should be able to bend one up to work just fine.

I think all the original clips ARE just large paperclips bent to size. I just took one and easily bent it to the exact shape above. If I took some wire cutters to the excess ends, it would look exactly like the clip above.

Archived