TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advice? Ford is trying to deny my TSB work.

I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice on what I should do about this flywheel/clutch tsb. It's been two weeks now that I have been trying to have the tsb performed. I am having the shifting problems that the flywheel causes and my clutch is starting to slip now as well. The dealership was willing to do the work but Ford said the flywheel is only part of the 3 year 36,000. I then spoke with Ford Direct about the flywheel being under the 5 year 60,000. Ford said they would get back to me in 4 days. After a week went by I called them. They then came back saying they weren't going to do the work because they haven't determined any problems with the flywheel or clutch... I guess four revised tsbs doesn't mean anything. I have 15,000 miles on my car since Nov of 2006. Ford wants me to pay between 3000 to 4500 to have the tsb work done. I am only 25 years old working 55 hour weeks and I feel as though Ford is trying to screw me on this whole thing. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Call Roger in Service at Novato Ford. He is great and did my TSB with my mods on my car, no questions asked. It's a haul for you, but might be worth it. At least call him, tell him Jim who brings his 2008 Black with white stripe GT500 in told you to give him a call because you took such great care of him....and his clutch TSB.

Edited by Dubstang

The TSB is pretty clear on the diagnosis. If your car is exhibiting the symptoms then they should not have any issues with performing the TSB. At a minimum they should have a regional rep involved to authorize it based on the symptoms. Often these regional reps will come onsite to see firsthand if the issue meets the TSB description.

I wonder if this has anything to do with them not covering your clutch:

From your Sig.......

"""Engine

-Kenne Bell Mammoth 2.8H Supercharger-Kenne Bell Dual 75mm Throttle Body-Kenne Bell Big Oval 130mm Filter-Kenne Bell Dual Boost-A-Pump-NGK TR6 Spark Plugs-Canton Coolant Tank-Be Cool Radiator Cap-Canton Steering Tank-P-Fabrication Super Tank-Shelby Billet Engine Caps

-Shelby Billet Dipstick-CryO2 10lb. Cooling System-CryO2 Heat Exchanger Sprayer-CryO2 Purge System-Optima Red Top Battery-Custom Airbrushed Radiator Cover--Custom Airbrushed Fuse Box Cover-Black Braided Hosing-CDC Billet Hood Struts-Custom Anodized Billet Brackets""

I'd bite the bullet and put in a Spec or Mcloyd . The new tsb is using the 2010 clutch and this will also fail with your engine mods. Aftermarket clutch 1500.00+ 800 Labor is half of the OEM replacement.

Edited by Curt A

I agree that an aftermarket clutch would be best for my setup since I have the KB. The only reason I would rather hav e the TSB performed than go aftermarket is because of how often I drive my car and how hard. I have only put 500 miles on my car since the end of last April. Because of how often I work, the only time that I drive the car is to car shows and events. I also never drive the car hard. I cant due to the tire profile of my rear tires, there is just no traction. If I drove the car frequently and hard, I would definately go aftermarket, but because of my situation with the car and the cost, I feel like doing the tsb makes the most sense for me to do.

Frontier Ford is acting like they have never heard of the flywheel/clutch problem or the TSB. Which is funny because I have been referred to them by over 10 people that have had it done. Now they are trying to tell me the TSB doesnt have to do with the problems, that my flywheel and clutch screwed up because I do not know how to drive the car properly with that clutch.

Believe it or not I have. Its been 4 weeks now and the excuses I have gotten for why they wont perform the TSB are as follows.

At first I was told there was no issues with the GT500 flywheel and clutch.

Then I was told that the flywheel is only covered under the 3 year basic warranty.

Then after I told them the flywheel is covered under the 60k, they told me the clutch is not covered under this warranty.

Then I tried to explain that the flywheel is the issue not the clutch, and they said they were unaware of flywheel problems.

Now I have been told that the reason why the flywheel and clutch are failing is because of the way the car is driven and that the clutch needs to be driven as hard as possible every day because this is a race car and these are race clutches.

So now the reason my car has failed is because I haven't beaten the hell out of the clutch like a race car....

So I guess I should have driven the car as hard as possible and then the TSB would be covered...

This is a joke.

that's funny....................can you quote them when you tell your local police dept that you have to drive it hard every day and for them not to tag you?? haha........that's the stupidiest thing I heard............so owners of the bugatti veyron should drive 253 mph everyday to avoid problems..............it's time to get a ford rep on site!!!!

If you were 2500 miles closer, I could refer you to a really awsome Ford service dept in my area.

This is just not right.

Your after-market mods do give them a leg to stand on, but the right service dept will do the right thing.

Wish I could help more.

It sucks for sure but to get the most out of all the money you have spent a aftermarket clutch is the best thing to do. Because just as sure as you do get the TSB done by a dealer it happens again or doesn't go well and then you'll be even more frustrated than you are now. With a aftermarket clutch you can get a spec or whichever you like and have confidence in it. You work hard no need to have to fight a bunch of as*clowns over doing something that was a big enough deal they have upgraded TSBs on. I mean how do you tell somebody you're not driving your car hard enough give me a freaking break I bet if you came in with a axle shaft broke where you followed their advice they would cover that right. Its a money thing pure and simple. With a aftermarket clutch and flywheel you know what you have and its going to be solid not a weak link if it was me thats what i'd do I'd know where my money went and I have something I'm not going to worry about.

Yeah it looks like I am just going to have to make my car payment each month and let the car sit it my garage all summer until I can save up for an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. The worst part about this whole thing is obviously I have a ton of mods on my car and I could see them trying to get out of the TSB, but I havent even gotten that far yet. The people I have been dealing with have no idea about any mods on my car and they just have been assuming its stock and they still wont do anything.

It is just really frustrating being a young Ford owner that has 130k plus into a Ford product and I have now have had to deal with this TSB issue as well as a Ford dealership charging me $600 for caster camber plates and alignment when all they did was order adjustable camber bolts that cost 30 for a pair and led me to believe they installed the plates until I found out a year later when I uninstalled my suspension that they lied and ripped me off for that amount of money.

I love Ford, but it just seems that they do not understand how to handle their customers with this TSB. We own one of the most expensive cars in their fleet and they are treating a lot of their customers as if they are driving a 2003 Ford Focus that has a TSB out regarding a faulty air conditioning knob.

I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice on what I should do about this flywheel/clutch tsb. It's been two weeks now that I have been trying to have the tsb performed. I am having the shifting problems that the flywheel causes and my clutch is starting to slip now as well. The dealership was willing to do the work but Ford said the flywheel is only part of the 3 year 36,000. I then spoke with Ford Direct about the flywheel being under the 5 year 60,000. Ford said they would get back to me in 4 days. After a week went by I called them. They then came back saying they weren't going to do the work because they haven't determined any problems with the flywheel or clutch... I guess four revised tsbs doesn't mean anything. I have 15,000 miles on my car since Nov of 2006. Ford wants me to pay between 3000 to 4500 to have the tsb work done. I am only 25 years old working 55 hour weeks and I feel as though Ford is trying to screw me on this whole thing. Any advice would be really appreciated.

:headscratch:

Sorry to hear about the TSB issue you are having. Two dealers in the east bay you can try.

I go to Walnut Creek Ford ask for Dan he is extremelly knowledgeable and is a motor head.

The other one is Future Ford in Concord. I have had no dealing with them.

:poke: Call them and explain what's been happening.

Good Luck

Originally Darren and he seemed like a good guy, but then all of sudden, it seems as if he disappeared and his boss has taken over and thats who we have been dealing with lately..

I would at least try Roger at Novato Ford. He knows about the TSB. Did it on my car.

Originally Darren and he seemed like a good guy, but then all of sudden, it seems as if he disappeared and his boss has taken over and thats who we have been dealing with lately..

wow that sucks man, sorry to hear the bad news try the where some of the other guys said too. good luck travis are you gonna go to knotts this year buddy

darren jackson at frontier ford was great to deal with when i had the tsb done. i was upront with him that i had the tvs with an aftermarket tune. he had not problems with that. the fact that his boss has stepped in makes me think that something else is going on that you dont know about. maybe darren has the "no go" on tsb's that are out of the 3 yr/36k. try to get in touch with darren again. i had to leave him a message on his voice mail but he did call me back on my cell.

oh yeah, he also did the airbag upgrade at the same time they did the tsb.

Ford probably already knows about your problem and is telling dealers not to do anything for you, it seems lately they are going out of their way to deny claims, I don't think they care if you ever buy another new Ford as they are riding high right now but I could be wrong, by denying warranty claims they can give another car away on tear jerker Extreme Home Makeover at current owners expense, the dealers are not the problem it's Ford itself, I personally will never buy another new Ford maybe used but not new as I have had a similiar experience. I am currently looking for a 1940 Ford I know it won't have any warranty but thats ok.

Edited by 900rf

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks man... I wound up buying a post TSB clutch and put it in my car at my own expense just to avoid this kind of crap.

I tried getting my car done before it had symptoms and was told they wouldn't do it without symptoms... which is fine but I knew it was a ticking time bomb so I bit the bullet and did it.

There's a guy selling a 2010 clutch here if you're interested: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-282/689268-2010-shelby-gt500-clutch-assembly.html

That's what I would do if I were you.

Hey T, Sorry to hear all this BS you are going thru. Here is my offer. It may not help but it will get noticed - YOU TUBE IT - only if you are sure it's covered by the warr... I am having issues as well - but I am on it - it is now round 4 of a 15 rounder... And, I will You Tube my issues if I do not get a solid ans., instead of the run around.

When I spoke with a Ford Reg. Rep., I said - Tell me Man to Man what do you really think - all I got was silence.... His silence said volumes to me!!!