TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSM

fatboy

Well somebody better tell Shelby American that a Ford F-150 truck is NOT a Mustang then. Below is a pic of the CSM Plaque for the F-150 Shelby Truck currently in production. :P

Is it possible that someone at Shelby Auto's at one point reused the CSM intials to denote something else? Quite possible but I'd like to see some factory paperwork saying that instead of a magazine article.

Previously the intials CSX being were reused on mid 1980's FWD 4 cylinder Dodge cars. Quite a leap from their first use on the Cobra.

Steve

F150SS08-800.jpg

You didn't answer my question whether you think Jerry Heasley is correct or not. Since "CSM" first appeared in 2006 on the 2006-07 Shelby GT-H Mustangs, 2007-08 Shelby GT Mustangs, 2008-09 GT500KR Mustangs, 2007-2010 GT500SS Mustangs and 2007 GT50040th Mustangs, there seems to be somewhat of a pattern established. The F-150 SS is brand new. Maybe no one liked the sound of "CST" or "CSP" on a dash/engine plaque so they decided to stick with "CSM".

Obviously, Shelby Automobiles, Inc. or Shelby American can attach a CSM # on anything they choose, a car, a pick-up truck, a golf cart or a wheelchair. It still does not define what "CSM" means. All that really matters is who originally came up with the idea (I'll assume sometime around 2005) and what was the original definition/meaning. Assuming "Carroll Shelby Motors" is the original and only definition of "CSM", then why don't they use CSM instead of CSX on the continuation Cobras? Just because they are "rollers" doesn't mean that SAI or SA didn't have their hands on them.

Lastly, regarding "CSX", obviously we all know what the original meaning was. The usage of it on Dodge cars during the 80's seems to have been strictly a marketing ploy and did not imply that they were "Carroll Shelby Export" vehicles. What about those 1980's Shelby Dodge pickup trucks...were they given CSX or CSM numbers?

MSMAP sets off the lught bulb :)

Tony Branda sells reproduction l/p frames like that. See pic below.

Steve

All three of these cars were originally built in the 1960's. Branda sells stuff relating to the original cars, not current S197 models. "CSM" was not on any dash/engine plaque back then. I seem to recall the original GT350 VIN's started with "SFM", correct? What did that stand for?

I'm not sure if this will help any but here are two more examples of CSM denoting Carroll Shelby Motors.

From the Denise Halicki "Elanor" Lawsuit:

Ms. Halicki seeks damages and punitive damages; and alleges unfair competition and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, among other claims. Co-defendants in the case include: Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., Carroll Shelby Engineering, Inc., Carroll Shelby Motors, Inc., Carroll Shelby Distribution International, Inc., Carroll Hall Shelby Trust, Unique Motorcars, Inc., and Sanderson Sales & Marketing.

And a reproduction L/P from the 60's:

CSM Plate.jpg

I think if we find out where SAI gets its "Auto Manufacturers" authority from, that should give us a clue--I bet their authority is not from SAI. I bet that it comes from Carroll Shelby Motors; hence, the CSM nomenclature.

I sent a PM to AJ (bestia27) and he thought it was "Manufactured"...so, we have 3 different potential answers, all from very respectable sources...Why don't we all just forget about this thread and go drink a beer or two?

I sent a PM to AJ (bestia27) and he thought it was "Manufactured"...so, we have 3 different potential answers, all from very respectable sources...Why don't we all just forget about this thread and go drink a beer or two?

You could always contact Jerry at: jerry@jerryheasley.com and ask him about what he wrote.

Steve

See my post #25 above....like I said, Jerry Heasley is a very nice guy, but a little "out there" at times....who knows what all is running through his mind....I'm sticking with Carroll Shelby Motors for my explanation of CSM#....

I hope I do not catch hell for this, but Carroll Shelby Motivated just popped into my mind;)

Laurence

This is the first time I read this thread but have seen it on the forum many times and I thought to myself DAHHH it means Carroll Shelby Mustang but after reading all three pages I think I have been wrong I bet it means Carroll Shelby Motors I trust Steve that guys knows more about Carroll Shelby than anybody else.

I'm not sure if this will help any but here are two more examples of CSM denoting Carroll Shelby Motors.

From the Denise Halicki "Elanor" Lawsuit:

Ms. Halicki seeks damages and punitive damages; and alleges unfair competition and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, among other claims. Co-defendants in the case include: Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., Carroll Shelby Engineering, Inc., Carroll Shelby Motors, Inc., Carroll Shelby Distribution International, Inc., Carroll Hall Shelby Trust, Unique Motorcars, Inc., and Sanderson Sales & Marketing.

And a reproduction L/P from the 60's:

Carroll Shelby Motors does indeed appear all over the place, but only around the 60's.

CSM wasn't used until 2005, long after the name Carroll Shelby Motors was ever used (in any official capacity anyway). So I'm not sure why the fact that the name 'Carroll Shelby Motors' exists at all has any bearing on this conversation. But 'cobrakalas427' has mentioned most of this already.

So apparently no one really knows the answer to what should be a no-brainer question? Amy? Bud? Roger?

Somebody put an end to this thread already.

You could always contact Jerry at: jerry@jerryheasley.com and ask him about what he wrote.

Steve

I actually PM'd his Team Shelby screen name (Cobra2549) last night about it.

• 4 years later...

Archived