TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil fluid extractor

I was on Griot's Garage website looking at stuff and noticed they have this thing they call a fluid extractor. You put a tube down the dipstick and suck the oil out of the pan simply by pulling a plunger up through a large plastic cylinder. I don't drive mine much but like to change the oil every 6 months, thus not really needing a new filter. I thought this would work pretty well for every other oil change. Has anyone done this with the GT500? What does everyone else think? Thanks.

I prefer to change the oil the old fashion way; this way any debris in the pan has a better chance of exiting the engine. Plus I like to change the filter on each oil change ... otherwise you are leaving some old oil in the motor.

I was on Griot's Garage website looking at stuff and noticed they have this thing they call a fluid extractor. You put a tube down the dipstick and suck the oil out...What does everyone else think? Thanks.

I think they're for people even more lazy than I am. My step-dad loves his.

Problem is, that on some cars the suction tube doesn't snake around to bottom of the dipstick tube very well, and can actually get stuck.

Happened to someone I know when tried on a new Mini... He broke the suction tube off, and had to pull the Mini's pan to get the broken plastic tube out...

All for the sake of not having to remove the drain plug.

I use one to pull oil out of my boat, waverunner, lawn mowers, pressure washer, snow blower, etc. Its the only way to do it for boats and power equip. I also use it to pull most of the oil out of my truck because I can never seem to drain it without making a mess. I then drain what's left and chance the filter. I do not use if for my Shelby. But you could use it to pull most of the oil but I would still drain the rest and change the filter each time to make sure it is completely drained. The oil suckers can't seem to remove all the oil and always leave some but it does work fine. Mine hooks up to my air compressor to create the suction and holds like 8 quarts. It helps to warm up the engine oil a bit.

My boat has hoses off the bottom of the pan that are long with a clamped plug in the end as you cannot get a pan under the motors for 2.5 gallons of diesel oil, I own a pump like you are talking about. Do yourself a favor if you go this route...get a Jabsco quickchange 12v one mounted on a 5g pail from a marine store...anything else is not as good...I have tried a few. I do not use it on my Shelby. I pay Ford. Cheers!

I use one to pull oil out of my boat, waverunner, lawn mowers, pressure washer, snow blower, etc. Its the only way to do it for boats and power equip. I also use it to pull most of the oil out of my truck because I can never seem to drain it without making a mess. I then drain what's left and chance the filter. I do not use if for my Shelby. But you could use it to pull most of the oil but I would still drain the rest and change the filter each time to make sure it is completely drained. The oil suckers can't seem to remove all the oil and always leave some but it does work fine. Mine hooks up to my air compressor to create the suction and holds like 8 quarts. It helps to warm up the engine oil a bit.

+1 for using on Boat, Jetski, Lawn Mower, Power Washer

I don't use it on any of my vehicles.

Archived