TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 Shelby hood springs

Our 67 GT500 has two different sized hood springs. We have owned the car for nearly 28 years and they were on it when we bought it. I was under the assumption that it came that way, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Our 67 GT500 has two different sized hood springs. We have owned the car for nearly 28 years and they were on it when we bought it. I was under the assumption that it came that way, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

No, that is not correct for your car.

Just to let you know I'm an owner of a 1968 GT350 that I bought in 1985. I have studied the 1967 and 68 Shelby's a lot since I bought mine.

The 67 and 68 Shelby's used what is called light weight hood springs due to the fiberglass hoods being lighter in weight. By light weight springs I mean they have less tension. The standard hood springs for a Mustang steel hood have more tension due to the heavier steel hoods to hold the hood open.

If you need light weight springs contact Tony Branda Shelby parts I'm sure they have them, I bought some a few years ago from them.

You may think that since you have bought your car years ago it probably has the original parts but parts were changed on these cars all the time for one reason or another. After all they were just used cars back then.

No, that is not correct for your car.

Just to let you know I'm an owner of a 1968 GT350 that I bought in 1985. I have studied the 1967 and 68 Shelby's a lot since I bought mine.

The 67 and 68 Shelby's used what is called light weight hood springs due to the fiberglass hoods being lighter in weight. By light weight springs I mean they have less tension. The standard hood springs for a Mustang steel hood have more tension due to the heavier steel hoods to hold the hood open.

If you need light weight springs contact Tony Branda Shelby parts I'm sure they have them, I bought some a few years ago from them.

You may think that since you have bought your car years ago it probably has the original parts but parts were changed on these cars all the time for one reason or another. After all they were just used cars back then.

Oh I know it has several non-original things, it was 15 years old by the time we bought it. It still has the toggle switches on the dash that control all the lights seperately that the original owner installed, and the push button starter where the headlight switch is supposed to be! We're just the third titled owners of the car, the original owner signed it over to his niece who sold it to the dealer I bought it from. Just wasn't sure what the story was with the hood springs..........

Edited by owenkelley

Oh I know it has several non-original things, it was 15 years old by the time we bought it. It still has the toggle switches on the dash that control all the lights seperately that the original owner installed, and the push button starter where the headlight switch is supposed to be! We're just the third titled owners of the car, the original owner signed it over to his niece who sold it to the dealer I bought it from. Just wasn't sure what the story was with the hood springs..........

CORRECT what dlangvardt said.

TONY BRANDA

1967-68 Shelby Light Tension Hood Springs

Item# HS2

$29.95

Product Description:

Light tension hood springs for use with fiberglass hood on all 67-68 Shelbys. Price per pair.