TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Attorney?

OsirisGT500

Don't post any details here as it may hurt your case. Get a good attorney specializing in civil or personal damages. I had a dealer that wrecked one of my cars on a test drive after I clearly asked them NOT to test drive the car when done while getting a simple TSB on a Cobra (car was 700+RWHP) I knew the dealer well and did lots of business with them over the years, and trusted that they would respect my wishes...they promised to do so...nope...got a call from one of my cop buddies that my car was flipped on a back road and skidded on the roof over 100 ft. Tech almost got decapitated. Three days later I get a call from the TECH"S attorney asking about MY insurance info on MY car and if I was willing to pay for medical bills for the tech that wrecked my car!! It was amazing to say the least!!! Long story short...tech got fired, I got a new car and a good chunck of money, and it was a mess.

Moral to my story...make dealers SA look over any car and sign an inspection sheet before you drop a car off ( and I ONLY drop a car off if it is something major coverered under warranty) I do not drive or have any workers drive a customer's car other than up and down my shop street with out calling the owner first. I know how pissed I am when I drop a car off for a simple mirror replacement under warranty and then find they put 18 miles on the car???

So, get on this right away. Talk to the Service Manager and explain nicely what you are not happy with, if they do not respond, see if they will sign something stating to the effect they are not taking care of your issue (amazingly alot of them will, just to get you out of their office) then, go to an attorney...hope this helps...

Best of Luck

Alex

Hey all....

A local dealer did some major damage to my 2007. Does anyone know / recommend a lawyer? I am in the San Diego area.

Well since we know absolutely zero about the circumstances my advice is to wait on even mentioning the word lawyer. People are too quick to shout out "I'm going to sue you" like that will really make a business want to resolve any problems.

Have you talked to the general manager?

Have you talked to the owner?

If you have exhausted all avenues inside the dealership it would then be smart to contact the factory and get them involved.

If you're still at a stalemate after getting the factory involved I would then seek mediation thru a third party or a small claims case.

Keep in mind you can always bring a lawyer into the situation at anytime but do you really think he's going to work for free? The only lawyer that would take a case for simple property damage would be one that charges you an hourly rate plus costs. And lawyers can magically acrue many hours of "work" in no time at all.

I'm sure we have a lawyer or two here on the forums that have a different opinion, just giving my two on the situation although we know no details.

Good luck.

Steve

Don't post any details here as it may hurt your case. Get a good attorney specializing in civil or personal damages. I had a dealer that wrecked one of my cars on a test drive after I clearly asked them NOT to test drive the car when done while getting a simple TSB on a Cobra (car was 700+RWHP) I knew the dealer well and did lots of business with them over the years, and trusted that they would respect my wishes...they promised to do so...nope...got a call from one of my cop buddies that my car was flipped on a back road and skidded on the roof over 100 ft. Tech almost got decapitated. Three days later I get a call from the TECH"S attorney asking about MY insurance info on MY car and if I was willing to pay for medical bills for the tech that wrecked my car!! It was amazing to say the least!!! Long story short...tech got fired, I got a new car and a good chunck of money, and it was a mess.

Moral to my story...make dealers SA look over any car and sign an inspection sheet before you drop a car off ( and I ONLY drop a car off if it is something major coverered under warranty) I do not drive or have any workers drive a customer's car other than up and down my shop street with out calling the owner first. I know how pissed I am when I drop a car off for a simple mirror replacement under warranty and then find they put 18 miles on the car???

So, get on this right away. Talk to the Service Manager and explain nicely what you are not happy with, if they do not respond, see if they will sign something stating to the effect they are not taking care of your issue (amazingly alot of them will, just to get you out of their office) then, go to an attorney...hope this helps...

Best of Luck

Alex

This sounds like EXCELLENT advice... take it.

Well since we know absolutely zero about the circumstances my advice is to wait on even mentioning the word lawyer. People are too quick to shout out "I'm going to sue you" like that will really make a business want to resolve any problems.

If you have exhausted all avenues inside the dealership it would then be smart to contact the factory and get them involved.

If you're still at a stalemate after getting the factory involved I would then seek mediation thru a third party or a small claims case.

Keep in mind you can always bring a lawyer into the situation at anytime but do you really think he's going to work for free? The only lawyer that would take a case for simple property damage would be one that charges you an hourly rate plus costs. And lawyers can magically acrue many hours of "work" in no time at all.

I'm sure we have a lawyer or two here on the forums that have a different opinion, just giving my two on the situation although we know no details.

Good luck.

Steve

+1

Talk to the Service Manager, General Manager and then the owner go up the chain of "command"

:hysterical: "The Factory" could care less since the dealerships are "franchises".

"The Factory" will tell you to deal directly with the dealer.

GOOD LUCK!

Although I do not know your circumstances, i had a run in with a dealership when I took my 2006 GT Mustang in for a 600 mile checkup and some warranty work: The stereo head unit and the door sill was cutting into the paint when the door was opened or closed. The service tech was replacing the stereo head unit when the passenger side dash panel above the glove box was scratched/gouged in several places. Instead of trimming the plastic and using touch up paint to fix the problem like I requested they decided to paint the entire door jam. They blocked of the vin sticker and when they lifted the tape it pulled the vin sticker laminate up causing the words VOID to be displayed across the entire sticker (This is just a quick synopsis). Anyway, the service manager and the general manager were not very accommodating. For the dash they told me they would use use an epoxy and fill in the marks and repaint the plastic. I explained that was not a good fix. I had it done on another vehicle and within a few years the entire dash started peeling. But, i agreed to give it a try since they were so persistent. When it was done, you could see the marks even more. Looked like they put gum on the spots, smushed it in with their thumb and painted it. I asked for the dash to be replaced. I was told that was not an option because the entire dash would have to be removed and they could not guarrantee that it would not rattle and they were concerned that more damage would occur due to the removal. As for the vin sticker I was told it was no big deal and that I was just being unreasonable. I basically told them you broke it you bought it. They looked for a similar vehicle, but none could be found since it was at the end of the year and the color of my car was not common especially with all the options I had on it from the factory making it unique. They offered me a used GT mustang with 5,000 miles on it for an even swap 6 months later, but the color was awful and it was used. I called Ford and I was told they were sorry, but this was not their concern since it was the dealerships responsibility to right the situation. Anyway, long story short two years later the case went before a mediator. I was awarded $4000 in my pocket and kept the vehicle. I was extremely disappointed with Ford and the whole process. The dealership would have made out better by just trading me straight out with a new Mustang and would have retained a loyal customer. Needless to say, I do not recommend this dealership to anyone. Good luck with which ever route you go, but in the end the dealerships are in the business to turn a profit. If they only realized, the real money is not in selling cars, but in servicing repeat customer's vehicles. Ask anyone in the business and they will tell you that a good service department will keep a dealership afloat during hard times. Sorry, even four years after the fact I am still bitter. On the upside, I did purchase my true love... a 2009 shelby gt500.

I am just looking at options and seeking advice. I was just wondering if anyone knew anyone to ask advice from.

First option is to give the Dealer in question a chance to make things right to

your satisfaction without a threat of law suit..............Without doing this first is

comparable to seeing a personal injury lawyer before seeing a doctor???????

Hey all....

A local dealer did some major damage to my 2007. Does anyone know / recommend a lawyer? I am in the San Diego area.

If you had a Toyota I'm sure we could find hundreds of lawyers in San Diego willing to talk :hysterical:

Finding a lawyer who is knowledgeable on automobile issues will be tough. Is the damage more than $7,500 ?

Steve

Good luck.

Steve

+1...Take this advice....

Archived