TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cold Air Intake Tube

Doing engine dress up, and would like to replace the cold air intake tube. So far my mods use the Shelby billet look.

Please tell me what and where to order. I'm just going for a cool look, not necessarily faster...although that would be nice as well.

Note this is for an '07 SGT. Thanks

Doing engine dress up, and would like to replace the cold air intake tube. So far my mods use the Shelby billet look.

Please tell me what and where to order. I'm just going for a cool look, not necessarily faster...although that would be nice as well.

Note this is for an '07 SGT. Thanks

I went with the Steeda Carbon Fiber tube, it's a direct swap. I'm not sure there are any others on the market that simply replace the tube such as the Steeda. The new JLT kits look awesome but require a tune as the MAF housing is bigger.

Go with either the CF or black plasic tube from Steeda. You can paint either. I've considered flaming my CF tube in The Vista Blue with a silver pinstripe.

I went with the Steeda Carbon Fiber tube, it's a direct swap. I'm not sure there are any others on the market that simply replace the tube such as the Steeda. The new JLT kits look awesome but require a tune as the MAF housing is bigger.

Go with either the CF or black plasic tube from Steeda. You can paint either. I've considered flaming my CF tube in The Vista Blue with a silver pinstripe.

Thanks EL...if I went the direction you suggest is this correct for my car? From Steeda web # 555-3138 for $199.95

I was under the impression that if you upgraded the tube to the Steeda unit it would require a tune? I know for sure that is what I was told on my 2007. Supposedly it flows better and could cause the car to run lean. You might double check prior to installing.

I was under the impression that if you upgraded the tube to the Steeda unit it would require a tune? I know for sure that is what I was told on my 2007. Supposedly it flows better and could cause the car to run lean. You might double check prior to installing.

Boy, I wish i had a tech brain...in reading the Steeda site, I think I'm o.k. because I have the Diablo tune. Maybe someone that has one can shed some light. Thanks for the input.

I did not add a tune with the steeda tube and everything runs perfect. The SGT already has a tune to accounts for the CAI that came with the car. The Steeda tube vs. the SGT tube does not significantly affect/improve the airflow. I don't have numbers to support this but I would wager there is little to no difference between the two. Additionally, the air entering the motor is metered prior to the tube and no additional air enters the intake by simply changing the tube to effect the air fuel ratio to create a lean environment. All the tube could possibly be doing is reducing the tublence of the incoming air (again I strongly doudt there is an improvement over the original SGT tube). If we are talking a Mustang GT then the rules change.

Now, when you change the MAF housing such as the full Steeda CAI kit (which essentially is the MAF on the SGT) or the JLT kit then yes you need a tune as you are increasing the volumn of air allowed into the motor, or at the very least through the MAF.

As for the bands/clamps that hold the tube to the MAF and throttle body, I have had no issues in the last year. Just make sure the tube is secure before you drop the hood.

I did not add a tune with the steeda tube and everything runs perfect. The SGT already has a tune to accounts for the CAI that came with the car. The Steeda tube vs. the SGT tube does not significantly affect/improve the airflow. I don't have numbers to support this but I would wager there is little to no difference between the two. Additionally, the air entering the motor is metered prior to the tube and no additional air enters the intake by simply changing the tube to effect the air fuel ratio to create a lean environment. All the tube could possibly be doing is reducing the tublence of the incoming air (again I strongly doudt there is an improvement over the original SGT tube). If we are talking a Mustang GT then the rules change.

Now, when you change the MAF housing such as the full Steeda CAI kit (which essentially is the MAF on the SGT) or the JLT kit then yes you need a tune as you are increasing the volumn of air allowed into the motor, or at the very least through the MAF.

As for the bands/clamps that hold the tube to the MAF and throttle body, I have had no issues in the last year. Just make sure the tube is secure before you drop the hood.

This about sums it all up. Case closed. :salute:

Archived