TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT: Is an aftermarket tune worth it?

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to Team Shelby. Lot's of good people and information here. Think about becoming a full member to get all the benefits of membership.

To answer your question about changing the tune on your car...

Yes, absolutely.

I don't have one of his tunes, but many, many, many, members here swear by, live by, Jon Lund's tunes.

http://www.lundracing.com/

Yeah, I read nothing but good things about the Brenspeed tunes, but at the same time, alot of people swear by the Bama tunes as well. Quite confusing! :rant2:

I've tried both. They both were a huge improvement from the stock tune. I just prefer the Brenspeed tune a little more.

Does that have more to do with the shift point changes in your car? or do you think it would translate over to a stick that brenspeed is "better" too?

What was the diff you noted?

I can't say how it works for a standard tranny, maybe others can chime in, but for me it was mostly about fixing the shift points and shift pressure. The stock SGT tune was way too mild for my liking.

The tune also changes a lot of the timing chararteristics, so that should improve performance regardless of transmissions.

First off, congrats on the SGT. Lots of good info here.

I got a mail order tune but I didn't feel any difference between the two, funny thing is when my new tune was sent to me and I installed it my car did not start, I called the company that wrote the tune and they had to re-write a new tune while I was on the phone, installed it right away drove it for a full tank hoping that the computer will adapt to but no difference.

I will not buy another tune untill I get my 4.10's.... And from reading on and on I will get a custom dyno tune next time.

Hey guys. I just picked up my SGT on Saturday, and while I do realize the car has a tune, i just wanted to ask the experts if a handheld programmer like the SCT X3 along with an aftermarket tune is really worth the extra $$?

Its like an old person taking a shot of Vigaria and your lady kicks you out of bed for him :hysterical: :happy feet:

Welcome

I have the Brenspeed and to be honest I only noticed a slight improvement in shifting. Maybe at 93 it is day and night. Unfortunately I run 91 because that is the highest in my area. I called Brenspeed and asked why I was not getting the night and day everyone else is talking about. I believe it was Keith at Brenspeed that told me the SCT tune for the SGT mostly improves driveability. So if you plan on no mods then don't get a tune because I feel the gain in marginal. However, I plan on a Paxton and change motion delete plates so the SCT will be useful.

Hope this helps

Frank

I feel for those not experiencing a difference with the tune!

I was fortunate as I returned my previous car back to stock prior to trading in for the SGT. Therefore the only additional cost was the $75 for the single tune from Brenspeed.

But, even if I had to buy the tuner and a tune, for my car it would have been well worth it.

So what is the answer here? Are the "night and day" tune improvements 93 octane or 91 octane?

I can get 93 octane in my area.

The Brenspeed site says that with its tuner one can also switch to a regular gas tune, which may be useful when prices go to the extreme.

I am currently running VMP 93 Octane tune. I had Justin tune it for 91 Octane and 92/93 Octane as I can get all 3 in my area.

I also installed the Steeda High Flow Intake Elbow and when I ordered the SCT x3 Tuner and the tunes from VMP - there was a section to input info about any modifcations you did to your car. Justin tuned it for all the changes I made.

Once I got all the parts installed and the tune uploaded to the computer - I noticed a difference in the seat of pants. Nothing that I would call "HUGE" or that seemed to blow me away. . . . . but definitely a difference in throttle response and when I open it up on the highway - it's quicker than it was before. I plan to run my car on the dyno once I get the old winter gas burned out of the tank and get some fresh 93 octane running through. I am axious to see what sort of differences I will have from stock to these few changes.

I am not looking for my numbers to be very impressive - but improved over what it came with stock. If you are looking for a significant increase in power - you're going to have to get a supercharger or a turbo kit installed.

I'd say 4:10's and a tune would really wake up your car if that's all you plan to do and if you are planning to stay Naturally Aspirated.

Trevor

Archived