TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Feedback on JL tune

gman1920

To state the obvious, I am a lurker (sorry!) I've had my '10 GT500 since October '09 and crap weather on the East Coast has pretty much left her a garage queen - UNTIL NOW. The car is completely stock other the FRPP FR500s axle back mufflers (which I friggin' love!). Just put them on this weekend.

I've been doing some research and even talked with Jon Lund over the phone (super nice guy). I also talked with he guys from Evoperform who work with John and he is greatly respected by them. For those running his 93 tune on a stock car, what are you thoughts and impressions? Any noticeable pros AND cons? Just looking for some feedback before I order. This is just my first phase for now. Want to make sure I going with the right decision.

Thanks!

Can say only good things about JLT tunes. Had one on my 2008 GT500 and it was awesome.

At the beginning only Evo and Lethal had a 2010 GT500 tune (all from Lund, this what they say) so this why I order one from Evo because they are not far from me.

After I had the tune on the Car I was going to a local dyno event to see what number I can get and I was really :censored: because all the numbers that they say on there webside are not right. I have try stock, stock+tune and pulley+tune and not one number was right ore even close. Yes I know every dyno is not the same and the weather also.

I call Jay and ask him if he can make one and we try the runs again on a place next to his shop with almost the same numbers (+1 or -1) that I have get on the dyno where I was before.

He start to build a new tune and after the first run we had already better numbers. Love the tune and the service with him. Give him a call and he will answer all your questions.

Don't want to say that tunes from John Lund are bad because I know he is really good with what he is doing but I was not happy with the 2010 tune that I had get from Evo and the numbers they say you can get from it.

By the way I have also the FR500's on my car and I really love them too. :drool:

Thanks for the feedback. I was not necessarily looking for huge power gains initially. Basically, better throttle response, drive-ability and some performance. Jon just seems to have a good reputation for tuning these beasts (at least from what I read). He seems like one of the few out there that know a lot about this motor (dual knock sensors, etc) I wish FORD would put out a 93 octane tune for a stock car. It would make my decision much easier.

Regarding Evoperform, I was in discussions with Kent. Good thing about going with them is that this the use Jon's tune and this is there only business so I can call them anytime. Jon has another day job when not tuning cars. He's harder to get but those that respect him, call him a legend.

Any thoughts on JDM? They are right around the corner from me. I've heard mixed reviews.

If a tuner says they can get you 40rwhp on a 2010 with just a tune, don't do business with them.

Thats what mine got . I sent my car to the Dyno from brannew just to see what it made right off the showroom floor . It made only 440 rwhp with around 50 miles on it . They loaded a tune from an SCT X3 and ,,,,,, 478 rwhp . Near as damn it 40 hp !!!

Can say only good things about JLT tunes. Had one on my 2008 GT500 and it was awesome.

At the beginning only Evo and Lethal had a 2010 GT500 tune (all from Lund, this what they say) so this why I order one from Evo because they are not far from me.

After I had the tune on the Car I was going to a local dyno event to see what number I can get and I was really :censored: because all the numbers that they say on there webside are not right. I have try stock, stock+tune and pulley+tune and not one number was right ore even close. Yes I know every dyno is not the same and the weather also.

I call Jay and ask him if he can make one and we try the runs again on a place next to his shop with almost the same numbers (+1 or -1) that I have get on the dyno where I was before.

He start to build a new tune and after the first run we had already better numbers. Love the tune and the service with him. Give him a call and he will answer all your questions.

Don't want to say that tunes from John Lund are bad because I know he is really good with what he is doing but I was not happy with the 2010 tune that I had get from Evo and the numbers they say you can get from it.

By the way I have also the FR500's on my car and I really love them too. :drool:

My Evo "Lund" Tune wasn't even close either. However, my numbers aren't even close to yours either with my WMS tune.

I've been contemplating going with a pulley and tune from Jay of JLT just to hold me over until I install a Whipple. I like going with him because he is local and I've done business with him in the past. He is straight forward and honest and will tell you what he can and can't do and compares apples to apples. He had my car for a few days and bone stock with just a tad over 500 miles on it my car put down 471 rwhp (best pull). I'm pretty sure this was SAE corrected, which he always uses for comparing numbers.

This is my baseline and I think when he takes my car again in a few weeks I'll have him just install a smaller pulley and work his magic with his tune. He is not doing anything crazy with tuning, just small mods here and there. When I install my Whipple I will be calling on Ed Clark's tuning services. He tuned my 600+ rwhp '04 Cobra with excellent driveability and street manners.

Archived