TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Launch Control

Does the 2008 Shelby GT500 have launch control? If it does, how do you activate the launch control?

All GT500s have it. Make sure TCS is enabled. Rev to 3200 rpm and then let go of the clutch and stomp the gas. The car will spin for just a sec and then settle in while the computer does it's thing. Please try this on an empty road when learning it :)

All GT500s have it. Make sure TCS is enabled. Rev to 3200 rpm and then let go of the clutch and stomp the gas. The car will spin for just a sec and then settle in while the computer does it's thing. Please try this on an empty road when learning it :)

I've heard this a few times before but never tried it. Gotta give it a try once to see if it works.

I've heard this a few times before but never tried it. Gotta give it a try once to see if it works.

I was in the same boat and finally tried it on an empty street. It pulled pretty good, but with a little bit of practice you can drive it out of the hole better than the computer. It seems to be pretty conservative.

I was in the same boat and finally tried it on an empty street. It pulled pretty good, but with a little bit of practice you can drive it out of the hole better than the computer. It seems to be pretty conservative.

TCS "ON" is *very* conservitive.

Try it with TCS in "SPORT MODE" and you may be surprised.

I did and I don't think I could launch anywhere near as well as the tires were just on the verge of spinning (with maybe 10% spin) as opposed ot having to feather the throttle/clutch manually.

I LOVE sport mode.

Oh, and I am speaking from a 2010 point of view. I don't know if the previous MY GT500's have the same programming.

Phill

.....................Oh, and I am speaking from a 2010 point of view. I don't know if the previous MY GT500's have the same programming.

Phill

I was gonna say..........Had to look to see if i was in the 07-09 GT-500 section.

The previous models only have TCS on, or off.

I was gonna say..........Had to look to see if i was in the 07-09 GT-500 section.

The previous models only have TCS on, or off.

Ahhhhh, I'll bet'cha that's where the "Launch Control" questions are coming from then.

'Cuz it's about the closest thing to launch control I can think of, without actually being called launch control.

Phill

Your right foot. You activate it by pushing on the long skinny peddle. :shift:

:hysterical:

Seriously though, can someone explain "launch control" and what its supposed to do? Never heard of it before.

Also, does this exist on the 2009 GT500/KRs?

:hysterical:

Seriously though, can someone explain "launch control" and what its supposed to do? Never heard of it before.

Also, does this exist on the 2009 GT500/KRs?

No,"launch Control" does not exist on the 07-09 GT500. Its simply the TCS stepping in trying to stop your wheels from spinning. If you consider that launch control, then you are sorely mistaken. Launch control is where the car acutally feathers the power for you and all you have to do is stand on it. The 2010 vettes all have it. When you put them in comp driving mode, stand on the gas and it holds the revs to 4k for you. Then when you pop the clutch, it feathers the gas electronicly and keep the wheel spin to a minimum to get you out of the hole fast. Again, this is only traction control that our cars have, and it retards the timming to get rid of the wheel spin. This is by NO means traction control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDievbsgzU

No,"launch Control" does not exist on the 07-09 GT500. Its simply the TCS stepping in trying to stop your wheels from spinning. If you consider that launch control, then you are sorely mistaken. Launch control is where the car acutally feathers the power for you and all you have to do is stand on it. The 2010 vettes all have it. When you put them in comp driving mode, stand on the gas and it holds the revs to 4k for you. Then when you pop the clutch, it feathers the gas electronicly and keep the wheel spin to a minimum to get you out of the hole fast. Again, this is only traction control that our cars have, and it retards the timming to get rid of the wheel spin. This is by NO means traction control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDievbsgzU

Yes it does, you have to have TCS on and rev the motor to 3200 RPMs and "Then when you pop the clutch, it feathers the gas electronicly and keep the wheel spin to a minimum to get you out of the hole fast.".

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/06q3/2006_chevrolet_corvette_vs._2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500-comparison_tests/2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500_page_2

"The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds."

Still don't believe, try it. I wasn't a believer until I dropped the clutch at 3200 with TCS on and off I went like a pissed off bull with street tires and asphalt. If it was just TCS, the car would have sat there waiting for me to rethink the need for full throttle. May not be as cosmic as the vette or GT-R version, but the intent is the same.

Ok so I tried this and its didnt work. But then I realized that I have the 93 octane performance tune from my predator handheld tuner. Im sure its because of that is why it wouldnt work. Mine just bogged because the traction control came on then it wheel hopped really bad and almost broke the dash off.

I tried this today in my '09 KR.........didn't work.

I raced a Vette last year in my '08 GT-500. 1st pass was me doing my thing.....we ended up fender to fender at the top of 4th gear (that was after me blowing 1st and 2nd gear tires smoking and going sideways).

Tried a 2nd pass with TCS on and it was no contest. Vette was ahead the whole time.

I'll stick to TCS "off" and me learning to launch the car better.

I tried this today in my '09 KR.........didn't work.

I raced a Vette last year in my '08 GT-500. 1st pass was me doing my thing.....we ended up fender to fender at the top of 4th gear (that was after me blowing 1st and 2nd gear tires smoking and going sideways).

Tried a 2nd pass with TCS on and it was no contest. Vette was ahead the whole time.

I'll stick to TCS "off" and me learning to launch the car better.

Am I going crazy? :headscratch: This works for me still and I have seen reports of it working for others. Are you sure you had it over 3200RPM when the clutch dumped?

Am I going crazy? :headscratch: This works for me still and I have seen reports of it working for others. Are you sure you had it over 3200RPM when the clutch dumped?

I dont know about the 2010's, but the '07-'09s only had traction control, no launch control. I guess if you're not an experienced driver it could seem like launch control. All traction control does on the 07-09s is back timing out and apply the brakes to the spinning wheels. It doesn't do anything to modulate/feather the throttle. It is meant to assist in low traction situations like wet roads, not launching the car.

2010's don't have launch control either. As others have said, it's traction control with a sport mode feature that cuts throttle (not timing) when it senses loss of traction. The owners manual says nothing about launch control.

I dont know about the 2010's, but the '07-'09s only had traction control, no launch control. I guess if you're not an experienced driver it could seem like launch control. All traction control does on the 07-09s is back timing out and apply the brakes to the spinning wheels. It doesn't do anything to modulate/feather the throttle. It is meant to assist in low traction situations like wet roads, not launching the car.

[/quote

See this is what I thought too. But the buy above me has a link to car and driver where it says its there?

[/quote

See this is what I thought too. But the buy above me has a link to car and driver where it says its there?

That's Car & Driver's opinon. I don't know where they got their info, but there's no GT500 launch control mentioned in any of Ford's literature. Vettes and GTR's have true launch control.

ame='ZXMustang' date='19 April 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1271714480' post='950764']

That's Car & Driver's opinon. I don't know where they got their info, but there's no GT500 launch control mentioned in any of Ford's literature. Vettes and GTR's have true launch control.

Just went and tried it again. Curious to know how this works but here are the results:

2 Launches at 2000 RPM

Sidestep clutch, stomp on the gas, car spins like mad and traction control finally kicks in before red line and bogs the car down.

2 Launches at 3200 RPM

Sidestep clutch, stomp on the gas, car spins for a couple of feet, tach stays low, it settles in and takes off like a pissed off gorilla.

Why would the car take off properly and strong with a 3200rpm(higher power) clutch dump versus the 2000 rpm method? Just trying to understand this is all :) One theory I have is the car just assumes your going to get stupid with a 3200 RPM dump and kicks in early or is just this a mild form of launch control?

Just went and tried it again. Curious to know how this works but here are the results:

2 Launches at 2000 RPM

Sidestep clutch, stomp on the gas, car spins like mad and traction control finally kicks in before red line and bogs the car down.

2 Launches at 3200 RPM

Sidestep clutch, stomp on the gas, car spins for a couple of feet, tach stays low, it settles in and takes off like a pissed off gorilla.

Why would the car take off properly and strong with a 3200rpm(higher power) clutch dump versus the 2000 rpm method? Just trying to understand this is all :) One theory I have is the car just assumes your going to get stupid with a 3200 RPM dump and kicks in early or is just this a mild form of launch control?

I finally got the car out of winter storage. I tried launching the car at 3200 rpm with the traction control on and it worked just like you said it would. I also agree that dumping the clutch at 2000 rpm causes excessive wheel spin even with traction control on.

I finally got the car out of winter storage. I tried launching the car at 3200 rpm with the traction control on and it worked just like you said it would. I also agree that dumping the clutch at 2000 rpm causes excessive wheel spin even with traction control on.

what year car is this done with

I have an 07

2 Launches at 2000 RPM

2 Launches at 3200 RPM

I believe you man, but again my car has a predator tune on it so maybe thats why mine wont do it. I really dont feel like putting it back to stock either to find out.

• 9 years later...

I know this is 9 year old topic but I stumbled on this thread while searching google for “2008 GT500 Launch Control”,

So I seen a few of you mentioned that the 2007 thru 2009 GT500 models come with Launch Control and user 10random siting  the Car and Driver comparison review of the 2007 GT500 versus the 2006 Corvette where the mention of Launch Control being available on the GT500.

I tried it today on my 2008 GT500, using stock size tires on the OEM wheels with Nitto NT555’s on the rear. Mods being a 127mm JLT Carbon fiber intake, Bama 91 octane tune, 2.5” VMP S/C pulley and (non-adjustable) BMR LCA’s and BMR Panhard bar.  Air temp outside being 54F.

The results were better than I could ever achieve on my own. I followed the steps; I turned on Traction Control, held the RPM’s slightly above the 3250 notch on the tach, dumped the clutch and quickly went WOT.

The car launched so good, the first 50-60 feet felt like the engine modulation activated but only with just enough interference to keep the RPM’s climbing from climbing too fast and allow let the rear wheels to ride that fine line between grip and no grip, once the RPM’s were allowed to go up to around 4500-5000 RPM’s the engine modulation eased up and let the RPM’s climb a little faster and allowed a bit more tire slip while still allowing enough grip to keep the vehicle momentum moving forward.

Thank you guys for having this information available. It’s a great little hidden feature that I’m so happy to have. 

66A6D02C-E849-4F05-828E-A73478B21C1D.jpeg

Archived