TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Ping

gt force

I have noticed that my engine pings under heavy acceleration. It clears up as the rpm's rise. It's not excessive but I hate running through it. I'm using 94 octane gas. Maybe this should be 92 octane? What are you using? This has been over a few months so it's not a bad tank of gas. :lurk:

I have noticed that my engine pings under heavy acceleration. It clears up as the rpm's rise. It's not excessive but I hate running through it. I'm using 94 octane gas. Maybe this should be 92 octane? What are you using? This has been over a few months so it's not a bad tank of gas. :lurk:

Stock? I use crappy California 91, never pings. Even in high heat and heat soaked. Not normal if stock. Possible tune issue if modded.

That is a little odd running 94 octane and considering the '10's have knock sensors. But, if you hit it hard under load (like 6th gear going up a hill) it will ping. Switching to 92 will do nothing but make it worse. I would take it into the dealer and have them check it out. The tune on the 10's are more agressive so maybe your knock sensors are not functioning properly. Either way don't let it go too long as it's not healthy for the engine.

Either way don't let it go too long as it's not healthy for the engine.

ESPECIALLY under boost!

Do *not* allow it to ping under boost if at all possible.

Your pistons will thank you.

Phill

When did the engineers say this? I don't see how changing the intake tube could cause a lean condition. The tube is after the MAF. You are not changing the volume of METERED air. The only way to change the A/F would be to change the actual MAF housing. This was discussed at length in another thread and the consensus was that changing the tube does not require a tune revision.

Does it sound like a diesel or something slapping around inside the engine? I have the same thing under heavy load; a sound can easily be heard within the cabin as if something has opened up and is banging loudly in the engine. Normal driving it sounds fine, but with a 3rd gear romp while coasting at 50mph it sounds awful in the engine bay (similar to being in the wrong gear at a low RPM and smashing the pedal).

I'll let the dealer looking into it and tell me "it's normal" :talkhand:

Archived