TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07SGT4986

andrewnagle1964

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R.I.P. 07SGT4986! I have seen wrecks in worse shape than that and seen them fixed!

May have "salvage" on the title but you would still have your Shelby. There are a few SGT's

on EBAY and Craiglist if you want to find another one. Good Luck!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Andrew, As NordicShelby stated, this has affected me bigtime ever since I saw the photos and felt your grief. I hope you don't mind that I shared this with my sons (22 & 24), and I would like to ask your permission to share it on the Pennmustangs site, so "we can all learn from it".

Thanks, and I hope your have taken the time to give your son a hug and a kiss!

Now that I have read everyone's kind comments and emails and had time to reflect......

You look at your 18 year and think they are an adult and they just aren't......I can't believe I let him drive the Shelby by himself even after many hours driving together he still was not ready.

I put my son in this situation and can only thank God he did not kill himself, his girlfriend or someone else. This has to be the worst decision I have ever made as a parent.

I loved that car and love my son more, I hope no other Team Shelby members have to learn this lesson, the hard way.

I am going to bed a sad father for the first time in my life

Take Care

Andrew

HEY ANDREW ,

SCOTTY HERE , I READ YOUR ABOVE POST AND BEING THE FATHER OF A 20 YEAR OLD I CAN TELL

YOU THIS. YOU SHOULD NOT BLAME YOURSELF FOR ONE MOMENT. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE

ACCIDENT RESTS SOLELY ON YOUR SON AND HIS POOR DECISION MAKING. WE AS PARENTS COULD

SPEND OUR WHOLE LIVES SECOND GUESSING THE DECISIONS WE MAKE ; HOWEVER ; GOOD OR BAD

THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN , BUT IN THIS CASE YOUR SON MADE THE DECISION TO DRIVE THE CAR BEYOND

HIS LIMITS AND THAT IS COMPLETELY HIS FAULT. SO FROM ONE FATHER TO ANOTHER DO NOT BLAME

YOURSELF IT IS SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT OF YOUR DOING. HANG IN THERE MY FRIEND AND AS EVERYBODY

ELSE HAS SAID THANK GOD NOBODY WAS SERIOUSLY HURT AND THAT TODAYS LESSON MIGHT SAVE YOUR

SON LIFE AND OTHERS IN THE FUTURE. GOD WAS DEFINATELY LOOKING AFTER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

TAKE CARE AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL BE BACK BEHIND A NEW SHELBY SOON !!!

SCOTTY :salute:

YOU SHOULD NOT BLAME YOURSELF FOR ONE MOMENT. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ACCIDENT RESTS SOLELY ON YOUR SON AND HIS POOR DECISION MAKING.

Absolutely correct!!

I can only reiterate again how great the Team Shelby community is. We moved the Shelby to a new location this afternoon so it could be under lock and key. The appraiser comes out tomorrow and I am crossing my fingers everything goes well. My brother-in-law took more photos today.

Take Care

Andrew

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

It appears that the Mustang performed the way it was designed to protect the occupants. The car was beautiful and had the mods that made it even more special. But hitting a large tree at that speed with one of the muscle cars we use to drive in the old days would have probably killed everyone in the car. The pictures are wrenching but sobering when thinking about the power these SC cars have. As has been said many times you can always get another Mustang but not your son and his friend.

Andrew,

I second what many have already said.

I remember back to the day I got a call from the police that my daughter had been in an accident. The emotions you go thru are incredible. Thank God she was ok other than a nice concussion and a night in the hospital.

I know that God puts many opportunities in our lives. This may be one for you and your son. You can grow closer from this. You can use the situation to show your son grace and love and forgivness. It is hard sometimes to forgive because we dont want to condone. As Dan said this may be the perfect opportunity for a father/son project.

Though I dont really know you, as far as not letting him drive you next car goes; unless he is the kind of person who just doesnt ever learn from his mistakes I would tend to believe that he has learned a HUGE lesson here and I would think that he would not make the same mistake twice.

In the end your car paid the ultimate sacrifice to save your son. It did it's job well. Those of us at Terlingua '08 saw something similar. These cars are truely amazing!

Andrew,

I second what many have already said.

I remember back to the day I got a call from the police that my daughter had been in an accident. The emotions you go thru are incredible. Thank God she was ok other than a nice concussion and a night in the hospital.

I know that God puts many opportunities in our lives. This may be one for you and your son. You can grow closer from this. You can use the situation to show your son grace and love and forgivness. It is hard sometimes to forgive because we dont want to condone. As Dan said this may be the perfect opportunity for a father/son project.

Though I dont really know you, as far as not letting him drive you next car goes; unless he is the kind of person who just doesnt ever learn from his mistakes I would tend to believe that he has learned a HUGE lesson here and I would think that he would not make the same mistake twice.

In the end your car paid the ultimate sacrifice to save your son. It did it's job well. Those of us at Terlingua '08 saw something similar. These cars are truely amazing!

+1,000

Andrew,

On a related note... Hagerty is a good insurance company and I'm sure the adjuster will be fair settling your claim, but I would still have a respected local body shop price out a repair estimate so you know everything is on the up and up.

Take care and I thank God your son and his GF are OK.

Jim

Count your blessings.................not only have you lost your car, but you could have lost your son also. I think you would have cried more if that happen. Hopefully you can find another car to take it's place.

Andrew

So sorry to here about the car. Like everyone else, I am happy that there were no serious injuries. God was certainly keeping his hands on both of them. We never know why God allows things like this to happen, but it is all in his plan.

I have a daughter who turns 16 on April 15th. She will see these pictures tonight and know the outcome.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Reflecting back when I was younger, I can say that I made my fair share of mistakes. I can tell you that they had nothing to do with either of my parents decisions or the way they brought me up. They are both great parents, even today.

I hope your son learns from this accident and as a result becomes a better person.

You had a beautiful car and will again some day have another.

Now that I have read everyone's kind comments and emails and had time to reflect......

You look at your 18 year and think they are an adult and they just aren't......I can't believe I let him drive the Shelby by himself even after many hours driving together he still was not ready.

I put my son in this situation and can only thank God he did not kill himself, his girlfriend or someone else. This has to be the worst decision I have ever made as a parent.

I loved that car and love my son more, I hope no other Team Shelby members have to learn this lesson, the hard way.

I am going to bed a sad father for the first time in my life

Take Care

Andrew

Don't be so hard on yourself, someone was looking out for them. No way you could have predicted this, its not like you gave him the car for the night or something. Like all have said the car can be replaced, but I feel for you and the family, very happy everyone is OK.

yup.gif Looks like the powered by ford badge on the drivers side fell off and got lost in the grass yup.gif

Found it tonight a little battered but in the hands of the rightful owner, the engine plate and dash plaque come off tomorrow, no clones on my behalf.

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

I can't explain the emotions i experienced this morning....... my son totaled the Shelby at 11:30 am while taking his girlfriend for a ride around the neighborhood. Fortunately they both are alive and basically okay (broken wrist and lots of bruises) and no one else was involved.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Already called Hagerty Insurance and they are sending an adjuster out on Monday.

Several years ago my daughter asked me if I ever cried and I told her the only time I was going to cry was on her wedding day, today I cried.

Take Care

Andrew Nagle

Hey my heart goes out to you as much as it pains me to say this a car can be replaced but not a life!!! If you need anything feel free to contact me.

Anthony

More photos

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

To be honest, this is 100% my fault I should never have allowed to drive it by himself.

Andrew

Hey if you need any help with the P.D let me know for some reason N.C troopers like me go figure :headscratch:

Don't blame yourself things happen for a reason and just think it could be worse, I could have been your son and cost you 42,000 dollar in one year worth of pay off's. I wreck my trans am by smashing into my friends car his was totaled dad had buy his car and then fix mine after that. I blew my motor and clutch and rearend a nice elderly couple he had to fix there car and mine again. The there was the time, I got wasted and borrowed (stole)his brand new 1981 Grand prix and lost it somewhere that one didn't go over to good. Did, I mention the time my parents friends came home and found me past out naked on there front lawn. So go easy on your kid !! My proud parents at my police academy graduations said, I can't believe they gave him a gun and badge. My sister saved me and said at least he's not a criminal yet. :hysterical:

Andrew,

SO sorry to see this...I just now found the thread. I wont restate what is already obvious and been said, but thank YOU for sharing this with us all. It shows why buying a Ford Mustang is such an important decision. People constantly dog the mustang for weight and other shortcomings...in a vette or camaro? this is a totally different conversation. Maybe he wasn't quite ready to go solo, but I have almost lost it in my car a few times. I bet many here have as well. Age is less of a factor than sheer inexperience in a high output vehicle. Im reminded of the young kid who dominates the Mustang Challenge Series.

It occurs to me Andrew, maybe a good way to reconcile your loss and allow you to share a special experience with your son might be to take a trip to Miller Driving School and share the fun of learning to really drive these cars the right and safe way. I know that might sound crazy, but here in Texas, we got a sayin', "You fall of the horse, you better get right back on", because if you dont think of it like that, what is the right age to drive these cars? Im 37, and I wouldn't want my son at that age driving my car after what I have experienced without a lot of time at the track and with great drivers at ShelbyLand or some other good track like Miller.

Anyway, I hope the best for you and your family. I hope you get another Shelby, and years down the line are able to look back at this and take something positive out of it.

Found it tonight a little battered but in the hands of the rightful owner, the engine plate and dash plaque come off tomorrow, no clones on my behalf.

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

Don't let the scoop get away either!

Heck Andrew if your selling parts off it I'll give you a list.......

How did you make out with the insurance company? Just curious, I may be interested in changing mine.

Glad to hear that your son and his girlfriend are ok. Wrap your arms around your son and love him.

Glenn

How did you make out with the insurance company? Just curious, I may be interested in changing mine.

I should know something by Friday ( about the insurance) and have my fingers crossed.

I will keep everyone informed on how it goes.

I am posting a few new parts that had not made it on the Shelby yet and will know more later about if any off the car will be available.

Thanks

Andrew

Hagerty's is paying in full I had it insured for $58,000 ( really good to work with)

I owe Ford Credit $24,000 (that leaves $34,000)

negotiating buying it back on a scrap title waiting on their offer (would like to get it for less than $8,000)

Looking for a low mileage used 2007 for under $28,000

Decisions Decisions

Take Care

Andrew

Archived