TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07SGT4986

andrewnagle1964

hey bud, glad we talked today before I saw this posted here. I know this has been one helluva weekend for you and the family w/ all that has been going on, but like all have said thank God injuries were minimal considering everything. I know "H" has got to be really bummed out about this too and like I told you on the phone, just remember that you and I both probably made a few mistakes at that age too. Just glad he will be ok as well as the GF. I know you poured your heart and soul into that car and there will be another one I am sure. When you get ready to look, just remember the offer or let me know if you need anything else. Make sure you give "H" a gentle hug tommorrow since he will be very sore and just tell him you love him, again......we will keep the family in our thoughts and prayers. Later Andrew.....Craig :cry:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey bud, glad we talked today before I saw this posted here. I know this has been one helluva weekend for you and the family w/ all that has been going on, but like all have said thank God injuries were minimal considering everything. I know "H" has got to be really bummed out about this too and like I told you on the phone, just remember that you and I both probably made a few mistakes at that age too. Just glad he will be ok as well as the GF. I know you poured your heart and soul into that car and there will be another one I am sure. When you get ready to look, just remember the offer or let me know if you need anything else. Make sure you give "H" a gentle hug tommorrow since he will be very sore and just tell him you love him, again......we will keep the family in our thoughts and prayers. Later Andrew.....Craig :cry:

Thanks Craig your call meant a lot.

Andrew

Andrew,

Sorry for the loss of the car, but extremely grateful to God that the kids are going to be fine....I know you have poured your heart and soul into that car, but after all is said and done, it is only a car and it can be replaced....good luck with getting it replaced and keep us posted on how it all goes...

Carl

Andrew,

I'm glad to hear no one was injured any worse than what happen, that was one hell of a hit. By looking at that last picture it appears things could have been much more serious than the final outcome, someone was looking out for them. Like those before have said, the car can be replaced, those kids could not. Kim and I will be thinking good thoughts for your family.

~Carl

Andrew this is about the worst thing that could have happened today to any SGT but your son and his girlfriend are ok and will be severly scared by this catostrophic event for the rest of thier lives so I am sure guilt will be with him for a lifetime. I personally would be angry but grateful that they are alive but totally depressed until I got a replacement, maybe now its your chance to get a GT350.

One thing for sure I would never let him driver any other car other than one of those Chinese ones that you and him rode around in China.

Man I am really sorry to hear about this If I were you I would try to keep the powered by Ford badges and all the csm tags, hood scoop, door sills and of course all your mods.

I almost totaled mine on Thursday I spun 3 times on an entrance ramp and went down a deep bank spinning and landed about 20 feet from a swamp as I was sliding downward I shifted it into 1st and went back up the bank and back on the road. It was just like a scene from a movie I never have been so scared in the SGT as I was on Thursday. The Shelby Terlingua Bullrun was tame to how I felt the other day spinning out of control I am so lucky that I didn't hit a light pole or tree or another car.

Take care, you know we all are thinking about you and your son

Now that I have read everyone's kind comments and emails and had time to reflect......

You look at your 18 year and think they are an adult and they just aren't......I can't believe I let him drive the Shelby by himself even after many hours driving together he still was not ready.

I put my son in this situation and can only thank God he did not kill himself, his girlfriend or someone else. This has to be the worst decision I have ever made as a parent.

I loved that car and love my son more, I hope no other Team Shelby members have to learn this lesson, the hard way.

I am going to bed a sad father for the first time in my life

Take Care

Andrew

I feel for you and your son, just remember he is still a young man and he will learn and this could happen to anyone of us at anytime, I still think you did a great job on your car, As I was following your build, you even had me beat on the different things you had done to your car and done well, Take care and glad everyone is still alive, Rick

Men mature thru experience and fault. Eventually we all have to learn about the world we live in. In short, "The father becomes his son and the son becomes the father." This is an opportunity to think about the things that really matter to us most. You say sad, I say glad for the time we have.....Just thinking out loud.

They say things happen for a reason but it's sometimes hard to see it that way. Knowone should out live there children but you almost did today. Your son wasn't lucky today ,he was blessed. Hope to see you back in a Shelby soon. God bless, Kenneth.

I went back and looked at this again and saw the additional pictures. Andrew, you shouldn't be going to bed a sad father, instead you should feel very fortunate that you will still have your son to embrace in the morning. That could have been much worse by the look of the pictures-it may actually bring you two closer together after the initial shock and anger of losing the Shelby has settled. Going to be a sad Shelby owner, yes. I can only imagine the way you are feeling tonight, and I hope that this situation is resolved and you are back behind the wheel of a Shelby soon.

Andrew, sorry about the car. But like everyone has said, it is just a car. The important thing is you still have your son, so not all is bad. I am sure he is feeling worse about wrecking the car than you.

Hopefully you'll be in another Shelby real soon, and the two of you can mod it together. A father/son project that will help you both overcome the remorse of losing #4986.

Good luck,

Dan

Andrew,

I'm so sorry to see that this happened. To echo everyone else here, I am happy to hear that your son and his girlfriend are okay. Hopefully with this experience, albeit an expensive one, he will come away from this with a very important lesson and hopefully it will make him a much better and safer driver as he goes out into this world. Respect the machine and your abilities.

Your family and his girlfriend's family were blessed this weekend.

Jessie

Andrew,

I can only imagine how your heart felt when you got that phone call. I'm sure your first thoughts were about the safety of your son and his girlfriend. Thank God they are alright. We all love our cars but we know you had put so much effort into making the Shelby, your own special car. I sure in time you will make that effort again. Best wishes to you and your family.

i was in some nasty crashes as a teen it always helped to improve my abilitys and knowing the limits. that being said glad everyone is ok. i was told by a teacher after one nasty incident "God protects fools drunks and kids" i fell into the first and last catigories i think i still do.

Andrew -

I am really sorry to hear this and I am very thankful your son and his girlfriend are basically OK. I did something very similar with a Mustang when I was 18. Stupid on my part, but it has stuck with me to this day and I am a safer driver as a result. My oldest is 13 and he is already very excited about driving. A wreck like this with a worse outcome is my greatest fear.

I know I dont have anything to say that already hasnt been said...

Im sorry you car is dead....

Im thankful your son and his passenger were not more seriously hurt...

I remember being 18 and screwing up big time...I too was very lucky no one was killed...

I have an 18 year old son that has driven my Shelby.........and I will think long and hard before you goes solo......

thank you for sharing, I know irt must have been terribily hard to post this story and the pics....

Take solice is knowing your Shelby protected your most precious cargo.......your family.

Andrew,

I am sad for your loss, and like the others here glad no one was seriously hurt. I wouldn't beat yourself

up too much: when to trust your children on doing anything as they get older are the hardest decisions

all perents must make. Plus you were dead on teaching the most important lesson on driving: wearing

seatbelts. I want to keep one of your photos for my kids to teach them that everything went wrong here

except the most important thing.

-Tom

I can't add anything to what has all ready been said here. Now that the dust has settled a little I would like to say, looking at the pics that it's interesting to note what survived on the car intact. The intake tube looks fine, the hood pins stayed attached, etc. Going forward, I think we can all learn something from this horrible accident. Since the kids will be o.k., let's focus on the impact and how the rest of us would fare in a similar event. Your son has turned this into a teachable moment. If even one person learns from this your car will not have perished in vain.

Im sorry for the loss of the car. Im really glad the kids are OK. Its a post like this that reminds me of how invincible I thought I was at that age. Hopefully you can get another Shelby and build it up. Hope everything works out for the best.

Archived