TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz GTH Owners NEED HELP

gth0007

In the coming weeks I will be doing a series of interviews with individuals outside of SAI in an attempt to learn new insights into the design, development, rental experience, and later sales of the 2006 and 2007 Hertz GTHs. My goal is to document as much information as possible to ensure valuable facts are not lost in time. I need your help in forming questions. If there is anything you want to know please forward your question (s) and I'll make sure that an attempt is made to find the answer. Once all of the interviews are done later this spring / summer, I'll submit them to Team Shelby for use in the Registry or any other use they may decide. This should be a fun project so please don't hesitate to ask questions. The more is known about the cars, the more valuable is the history. Thanks and I'm looking forward to your questions. Larry Miller SAI Registrar Hertz GTH

Larry,

The book that Amy put out and is available from the store answers many questions about the origin of the Hertz Shelby's (it is full of emails between her and Hertz).

Here are a few I have in mind:

FAQ: Who do I contact at Hertz for getting information on my GTH? Also, who do I contact at SAI for getting dashplaque and certificate for my GTH?

How many 06's were actually built? How many 07's were actually built?

I am frequently asked by others who see my car if they plan to make more. I always say no - only 500 in'06 and 500 in '07 and that is it. Am I correct that there are no more planned Shelby Hertz cars (in the near future - anything is possible 10 years from now..:-) )

Rental stories - Anyone that has rented one, when, where and their experience? I rented one in LA in spring of 08 and drove around Hollywood and Disneyland in it. It was number 07. I framed the "check-off" sheet. Now I own one, number 453.

What type of maintanance did these cars receive? I mean, what did Hertz typically do. Wash car, change oil every X miles, etc. I am often asked if Hertz took extra care with these cars, over just normal rentals.

I would love to have a window sticker, pin or jacket patch that said something like "Shelby GT-H Registry". Other unique mustangs do this...it would be cool to have for those of us who have registered.

Thanks, Casey

Larry,

The book that Amy put out and is available from the store answers many questions about the origin of the Hertz Shelby's (it is full of emails between her and Hertz).

Here are a few I have in mind:

FAQ: Who do I contact at Hertz for getting information on my GTH? Also, who do I contact at SAI for getting dashplaque and certificate for my GTH?

How many 06's were actually built? How many 07's were actually built?

I am frequently asked by others who see my car if they plan to make more. I always say no - only 500 in'06 and 500 in '07 and that is it. Am I correct that there are no more planned Shelby Hertz cars (in the near future - anything is possible 10 years from now..:-) )

Rental stories - Anyone that has rented one, when, where and their experience? I rented one in LA in spring of 08 and drove around Hollywood and Disneyland in it. It was number 07. I framed the "check-off" sheet. Now I own one, number 453.

What type of maintanance did these cars receive? I mean, what did Hertz typically do. Wash car, change oil every X miles, etc. I am often asked if Hertz took extra care with these cars, over just normal rentals.

I would love to have a window sticker, pin or jacket patch that said something like "Shelby GT-H Registry". Other unique mustangs do this...it would be cool to have for those of us who have registered.

Thanks, Casey

Casey, thanks for your questions. They will be added to the list and each will be answered. The GTH book sold by SAI is a good book, but it only touches the surface of the Hertz side of the story. Having worked at Hertz when the GTH program began, I observed a lot of planning and training into how these cars would be rented, maintained, rotated out of the fleet, and ultimately sold. Every Hertz employee from drivers, car cleaners, maintenance, rental representatives, to shift managers, all received special training on the GTHs. One of my jobs was to conduct electronic inventories of the Florida Region GTHs every day. There also are a lot of "war stories" about renters and what they did with the cars. Hopefully, I'll be able to document some of these for the GTH owners to enjoy. Please stay tuned and if all goes well I hope to have some interesting information available by June Tulsa show. thanks again, Larry

Very cool project.

My car 06H0050 was a rental at McCarren Airport.. I know you are working on more global questions, but it would be nice if I could get more info on my specific car. Being in Vegas, I suspect the potential for celebrity use is a possibilty. I did get info on who I think was the first renter.

Little more on the overal project.

Some write ups say 517 2006 were made and 4 of those are manual. Like to confirm the total

How many 2006 & 2007 never went to rental fleets or rented?

How many were supercharged after rental by SAI or approved Shelby mod shop? # of whipples & Paxtons?

Some of the prototype photos were awsome. Wonder why none of them were with custom wheels were considered? Money most likley.

Heard the Sirus radio sunscription is good for life. Is this true?

What was the sequence of distribution. Low numbers first or mix match? Seems like many exec cars were actually higher CSM #s.

Why not paint the stripes on and use same color as 1966? Money most likely.

From start to finsish, how long did it tak to complete one car?

See if HERTZ woud allow special production jackets as they did for workers on project for owners. I think SAI or Sharon & Robert were looking into this.

Thanks for your efforts

May want to consider posting on 2006 & 2007 GTH sites.

Thanks for working on this project! I bought the GT-H book, and wasn't too impressed with the amount of information it contained.

When the cars were finally auctioned off, were they freshened up first? My car has had numerous body panels repainted, and the top stripes have been replaced. I was curious if that was done by the dealership that I bought the car from, or if Hertz had it done for the auction.

How were the auctions handled?

What determined when a car was 'retired' from rental service?

This is such a cool idea! Here's some more suggestions:

How many owners of the new GTH own or rented, or had any experiences with a '66 GTH?

Purchase prices from the auctions of the GTH?

How many people own one from each '06 and '07?

Any funny, or outrageous stories that happened in or around a GTH?

I hope this goes really well. It sounds like it will be a lot of work that will be well worth it.

• 3 years later...

I think that what you are doing is great… many find out how many are left … how many did Hertz have left to sell after renting them out…. when done with you info, please make a book maybe a loose leaf book so it may be update… some stories of the cars,

Archived