TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LED third brake light issue

OK, I waited until I finally found a solid red lens LED third brake light and put it in the car...Now, I notice that when I unlock the car, the led's are dimly lit...they stay on for about 20 minutes then go off...same thing when I get out of the car and lock it...they stay on for about 20 minutes lit very dimly, then go off....I know some were having issues with this on other LED units and now I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for it other than switching back to the original light....

Any ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated....

Carl

Sounds as if there is a capacitor that is slowly draining and keeping the LEDs lit. They are so low power it's nothing at to worry about. Unless it bothers you.

I agree with jeff really no draw that would hurt you. You have to remember your adding LED to a non- LED set up if you want you always measure the draw off the battery. If you don't have a volt meter you can get someone like my ex-mother in-law to put a bulb in her mouth and have her complete the circuit. Don't forget to wet her feet !!! :hysterical:

A few other members had this problem with their aftermerket L.E.D. CHMSL (center, high mounted stop lamp) . Try doing a search using "LED 3rd brake lamp" or "L.E.D. third brake lamp" and see what comes back. I don't recall the remedy to the problem, but there is one out there.

Carl,

I had this same issue. I was concerned about battery draw and called to the manufacturer directly to follow up on it.

They informed me that this was normal - it does turn off after approx 20 minutes - the draw on the battery is very, VERY little and will have no adverse affects. Your battery will not be dead in the morning.

So it's normal - everything is ok with the part - for some reason, they seem to do this.

Trevor

Carl,

I had this same issue. I was concerned about battery draw and called to the manufacturer directly to follow up on it.

They informed me that this was normal - it does turn off after approx 20 minutes - the draw on the battery is very, VERY little and will have no adverse affects. Your battery will not be dead in the morning.

So it's normal - everything is ok with the part - for some reason, they seem to do this.

Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor, I guess I'm just "too anal" about some of this stuff....LOL

What 3rd lamp are you guys using?

I think most have one similar to this one Mustang 3rd Brake Light

I wanted one with a solid RED lense instead of one with the clear in the middle and finally found one on Ebay and bought it....It was just like the one in the link, but has a solid red lens instead...

Well, after much thought, I think I am going to return this item and get a replacement to see if it does the same thing...I'm noticing that even with the vehicle running, the LEDs are still remaining dimly lit...I guess I could live with it if they were staying on only when I turn the car off, but staying on even while the vehicle is running is not a good sign...Thanks for everyone's input on this...

Carl,

You know - I never looked at mine while the car was running. I guess I never thought to check that.

They (Moss Mustang) did not seem to be too concerned about it when I called and asked them.

The manufacturer did not seem to be too worried either when I spoke to them.

Let us know what happens with the second one when you get it.

Trevor

Carl,

You know - I never looked at mine while the car was running. I guess I never thought to check that.

They (Moss Mustang) did not seem to be too concerned about it when I called and asked them.

The manufacturer did not seem to be too worried either when I spoke to them.

Let us know what happens with the second one when you get it.

Trevor

Well, does yours stay on while it's running? I'm curious to know, because the light that you guys bought from Moss Mustang increased substantially in price....

Carl

I am currently in Waterloo, IA for work for the next 2 weeks. I won't be able to test mine until I get home.

My SGT is sitting in the garage under the Shelby car cover my Fiance bought me.

Once I get home, I can check this out for you. I was not aware that the price went up on them, I wonder why that happened?

I am currently in Waterloo, IA for work for the next 2 weeks. I won't be able to test mine until I get home.

My SGT is sitting in the garage under the Shelby car cover my Fiance bought me.

Once I get home, I can check this out for you. I was not aware that the price went up on them, I wonder why that happened?

I don't know, I had actually decided to just go ahead and buy one like what you have from Moss Mustang and when I called, they said they had been recalled due to the remaining lit issue....then the next time I saw them back for sale again, they price was really jacked up....the fix couldn't have been that much...or at least I wouldn't think so...

Hmm. . . . . . . that's pretty interesting. I had not even heard that there was a recall. I wonder what the outcome of that was?

I wonder now if this is something that I should be replacing? I guess I could always go back to the original light if worst comes to worst.

I have not been having any problems with it, but what do I know.

Archived