TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mod Advice

Hi Guys

Now that my 2010 is well broken in I wanted to start with the mods. Nothing to drastic but the CAI, smaller pulley and tuning are definitely the first steps. I will eventually go with the package from lethal, Evo or VMP but I wanted to do the upgrades in two steps, mostly to show my 12 and 8 year old sons how its done. I first wanted to just install the CAI with a tune, and then later in the summer the smaller pulley and a revised (custom) tune. I did not want to spend the dough for a custom tune with just the CAI so my question is does the SCT or Predator come with a pre-canned tune for use with just the CAI? So far my questions to vendors have indicated that two custom tunes need to be purchased

Thanks for the help

Hi Guys

Now that my 2010 is well broken in I wanted to start with the mods. Nothing to drastic but the CAI, smaller pulley and tuning are definitely the first steps. I will eventually go with the package from lethal, Evo or VMP but I wanted to do the upgrades in two steps, mostly to show my 12 and 8 year old sons how its done. I first wanted to just install the CAI with a tune, and then later in the summer the smaller pulley and a revised (custom) tune. I did not want to spend the dough for a custom tune with just the CAI so my question is does the SCT or Predator come with a pre-canned tune for use with just the CAI? So far my questions to vendors have indicated that two custom tunes need to be purchased

Thanks for the help

MongoCobra, what CAI kit are you considering?? JLT makes a carbon fiber "intake tube" but our cars (2010) already have a true cold air kit from the factory. On previous models, there was a restrictive airbox and you could pickup nice gains by replacing it with a CAI. One of the reasons the 2010's are rated 40 HP higher than the previous models is because of the factory CAI. They even moved the Snake emblem over to passenger side to facilitate the cold air getting into the filter area... If there's a CAI kit for 2010's that is an improvement over stock, who makes it? I haven't seen it?

I'd recommend getting an SCT tuner from VMP Tuning and it will come with up to 3 custom tunes. I'd recommend specifying a 91 octane tune and a 92/93 octane tune. Then if you add the pulley, or other mods that require a new tune, Justin will provide that free of charge within the first 6 months. Also, if you buy a supercharger from him, he will supply a new tune for that for free as well.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help

Welcome and congrats on the ride, where in NY?

From what I understand the HP gains from the aftermarket CAI's come more from the removing the muffler and smoothing the airflow of the inlet tube, and then the tune for the increased airflow. I'm looking at the C&L CAI kit/pulley packages from the various vendors.

thanks for the heads up on VMP, I'll give them a call.

I'm on Long Island and use my Shelby as a daily driver into Manhattan

From what I understand the HP gains from the aftermarket CAI's come more from the removing the muffler and smoothing the airflow of the inlet tube, and then the tune for the increased airflow. I'm looking at the C&L CAI kit/pulley packages from the various vendors.

i have the JLT CAI, and Tucker told me he saw a 8hp gain, but that a tune wasnt required ,which makes sense to me,otherwise youd be tuning forwindy days all the time. For the 2009 i can see it, but not for the 2010--HMM daily driver into manhattan??you must have a dedicated parking spot--must be getting a lot of clutch practice, thanks God they improved the clutch package this year to make it easier to shift

Edited by Torched10

Wow a DD into NYC............I grew up in Bklyn and went to Manhattan for College and a few jobs. God Bless you for puttin up with that traffic in a stick and a Shelby................lol

Wow a DD into NYC............I grew up in Bklyn and went to Manhattan for College and a few jobs. God Bless you for puttin up with that traffic in a stick and a Shelby................lol

I grew up in Canarsie, and went to Brookllyn College. Where in Brooklyn are you from? Driving isn't that bad, I usually come in really early and hit the gym and the guys in the garage take extra special care of the car. I don't believe in trailer queens or lawn jewelry. Drove my modded Terminator everyday also and it was a blast. This car is far superior in everyway!

I wanted to start with the mods. Nothing to drastic but the CAI.....

The 2010 GT500 has the CAI and tune already in place. If I remember correctly, that includes a slightly larger MAF sensor housing too.

I was told by the Dealership staff that that's the difference between the '07-'09 MY's 500HP and the 2010's 540HP ratings.

HTH,

Phill

I grew up in Canarsie, and went to Brookllyn College. Where in Brooklyn are you from? Driving isn't that bad, I usually come in really early and hit the gym and the guys in the garage take extra special care of the car. I don't believe in trailer queens or lawn jewelry. Drove my modded Terminator everyday also and it was a blast. This car is far superior in everyway!

Wow, didn't realize so many 2010 GT500's were on LI, drive mine to work a lot (re: on nice sunny days) so may see you on the LIE in the late evening in Nassau County.

Regards,

Jim

Wow, didn't realize so many 2010 GT500's were on LI, drive mine to work a lot (re: on nice sunny days) so may see you on the LIE in the late evening in Nassau County.

Regards,

Jim

Very Nice! Mine is Gray with the silver stripes. Maybe I'll see you at the Bellmore train station over the summer