TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The V8/Manual debate

NotASenator

The day is coming close, with my girlfriend and I working out loan details through the Credit Union. Originally, she was all for my plan, which was to buy an 05 GT from her co-worker, a guy who mostly restores classic cars and provides the utmost in care and attention to his rides. It's low-mileage and in excellent condition.

Then, with all my enthusiasm, I start tell Leanna (my girlfriend of four years as of the 15th) everything about the car and the envisioned upgrades for the future. And the questions from her about the specifics of the purchase begin:

1.) Why do we need the V8? Where in the Washington metropolitan area would I ever possibly use it?

2.) Since she doesn't drive stick and has no interest in learning, shouldn't I get the automatic so that she can drive it as well?

3.) Shouldn't we buy from a dealer, or if I want to save the money by getting an '05, couldn't we go through CarMax or something to get some kind of warranty or guarantee?

Personally, I don't know if my first set of answers ("Mustangs are meant to be V8's!" "Come on, I'll teach you how to drive stick, it will be fun in the local city traffic!") weren't the best, but I'm not really sure what else to say. I mean, I rented a V6 Stang last year, and it was a great drive, really got me set on the new models, but I'm really having difficulty considering an investment into a Mustang that would leave me limited in the ability to do what I want with it in the realm of upgrades later on.

I'm really positive and excited about the fact that I'm so close, but this debate is sort of bringing me down on the whole thing. Am I just being greedy or a bit fanatical about this?

The day is coming close, with my girlfriend and I working out loan details through the Credit Union. Originally, she was all for my plan, which was to buy an 05 GT from her co-worker, a guy who mostly restores classic cars and provides the utmost in care and attention to his rides. It's low-mileage and in excellent condition.

Then, with all my enthusiasm, I start tell Leanna (my girlfriend of four years as of the 15th) everything about the car and the envisioned upgrades for the future. And the questions from her about the specifics of the purchase begin:

1.) Why do we need the V8? Where in the Washington metropolitan area would I ever possibly use it?

2.) Since she doesn't drive stick and has no interest in learning, shouldn't I get the automatic so that she can drive it as well?

3.) Shouldn't we buy from a dealer, or if I want to save the money by getting an '05, couldn't we go through CarMax or something to get some kind of warranty or guarantee?

Personally, I don't know if my first set of answers ("Mustangs are meant to be V8's!" "Come on, I'll teach you how to drive stick, it will be fun in the local city traffic!") weren't the best, but I'm not really sure what else to say. I mean, I rented a V6 Stang last year, and it was a great drive, really got me set on the new models, but I'm really having difficulty considering an investment into a Mustang that would leave me limited in the ability to do what I want with it in the realm of upgrades later on.

I'm really positive and excited about the fact that I'm so close, but this debate is sort of bringing me down on the whole thing. Am I just being greedy or a bit fanatical about this?

New Mustang, new girl friend :hysterical:

humm, well i had a 94 v/6 automatic . i let my then girlfreind drive the car i put very few miles on that car myself. when we split up i sold her the car. i bought a 99 GT , 5 speed car which i still have and take to shows.but it is a weekend show car only , if i had to drive it each day and in traffick i think i would grow tired of it very fast.

If you're paying for the car - buy what you want.

If I had to drive my GT in rush hour Interstate traffic - I'd buy something else for commuting (an auto) and keep the 5 spd for the weekends.

I wish I had the luxury of doing that.

I don't really end up in rush hour traffic very often. I work a nice schedule and know all the ways to avoid most traffic.

As per the comments about getting a new girlfriend, I think I might not have shown her in a good light, because I was venting a bit. She's just trying to toss a little reason in there. To me, the idea of buying the Mustang isn't based on it being the most economical or cheapest ride I can get, it's because of what the Mustang invokes, and that is completely (to me) based on V8 American Muscle. We've been together through four hard years and she trusts me, and it's mutual. I know I get my head in the clouds sometimes, and she knows that she can be cautious to the point of questioning a good thing, and it balances out. Personally, I think she owes me one. She bought a first year Focus, and I've been working like mad to keep that thing in good working order :P

Mostly, I was looking for feedback on what people thought of a V6 coupe as a daily driver. I can always get a GT after the rumored 2010 redesign and pour gobs of money into upgrading that as a show car. But right now, I can only choose one.

I wish I had the luxury of doing that.

I don't really end up in rush hour traffic very often. I work a nice schedule and know all the ways to avoid most traffic.

As per the comments about getting a new girlfriend, I think I might not have shown her in a good light, because I was venting a bit. She's just trying to toss a little reason in there. To me, the idea of buying the Mustang isn't based on it being the most economical or cheapest ride I can get, it's because of what the Mustang invokes, and that is completely (to me) based on V8 American Muscle. We've been together through four hard years and she trusts me, and it's mutual. I know I get my head in the clouds sometimes, and she knows that she can be cautious to the point of questioning a good thing, and it balances out. Personally, I think she owes me one. She bought a first year Focus, and I've been working like mad to keep that thing in good working order :P

Mostly, I was looking for feedback on what people thought of a V6 coupe as a daily driver. I can always get a GT after the rumored 2010 redesign and pour gobs of money into upgrading that as a show car. But right now, I can only choose one.

If you want a V8, you'll never make it to 2010 waiting for the next V8 - you'll go crazy, you'll hate the car, and you'll spoil your relationship because everytime you get in the V6, you'll blame her.

For me, I wanted a v8, my wife was in favor of it, but it put too much of a hurt on our finances. So I went with a v6.

I'm very happy with the '07 v6 as a daily driver. Being a longtime ipod user, the auxiliary input jack is way more valuable to me then most people would think :) Getting the newer 3 year / 5 year warranty is a huge plus, of course.

At 210hp the car has some kick, not as much as I'd like, for sure, but it gets me where I want to go quick enough. I have a half hour drive each way, lots of stoplights, so I wouldn't get to stretch the legs of a v8 too much. Also, with the icy roads of the last 2 days here, it's probably a good thing I don't have 300hp going to those rear wheels.

At the same time, in the back of my mind I still think of some ways I can end up with a v8 without too much pain - year end sales, etc.

As for upgrades, there are definitely options for the v6. Justin at VMP tuned one up for his wife with twin turbos, and a guy who goes by "rygen" has one that's just wicked. For me, I'm still kicking around the idea of adding a CAI, exhaust & tune (around $800) and having a modest 245hp, at a reasonable price.

One other note - mine's a manual. My wife can't drive a manual. She'd like to learn, but this isn't the car to learn in. The stick is very finicky, hitting gears isn't always as smooth as a modern car should be. Every once in a while it's hard enough to get into first that I skip it, and start in second. Once the car's warmed up, that problem typically goes away. I don't know anything about the automatics they put in the v6's, though.

- Tony

If mine was a daily driver, I probably would have gone with an auto. But, it's our third car and is garaged in the winters, so we went stick. (My wife can drive stick)

If your finances permit it, you need a v8. Let her drive each of them, maybe she'll see the light. CONVINCE her while she's driving them.

If you can get yourself an Xplan pin, the cost difference between a new/used car won't be too huge, and you'll have a full factory warranty to boot. Again, depends on your finances.

No one really NEEDS a v8, manual transmission sports car that is kinda raw on the inside, has you practically sitting on the ground, and barely fits 2 carseats with no room for anything else. That's what makes it so FUN. :)

I just read you sig - got any pics of the neon lights under the dash??? I gotta see this!

Where ya been?

Senator - keep us posted on what you do.

I bought a Ranger back in '95. I thought I'd be skimpy and get the 4 cyl - 5spd manual and save some bucks.

I regretted buying that truck for the next 12 months.

Next truck I bought was an F-150 Supercab longbed with the Mustang engine and two tone paint with alloy rims!

Get what you want - you'll adjust your budget somehow.

I'll chime it with a few points.

I badly wanted the manual, but I was buying mine in a 3 day timeframe (Labor Day 0% 6 year financing) using my corporate X-Plan price and could not find an 06/manual/GT/Convertible/SideAirBags/Mach500/18s within 500 miles... Ended up with an auto.. I gotta tell you though, the 5Speed Auto rocks and it's light years ahead of my previous 03 GT's 4Speed Auto. The only complaint I have is the lack of a manual shift mode, especially since it was available on the Lincoln LS which I believe shared the same transmission.

The car is my daily driver and there are days when my wife drives it because I'm taking her car in for service, or something like that. Now, she CAN drive a stick, but I feel much better about her driving a 300HP Stang with an Auto, it leaves an extra hand for a phone, drink, etc... :shift:

You mentioned your finances, have you checked the cost of insurance and how much it goes up with a GT? I know it's higher, but I don't know how much.

My 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

So, compromising and budgeting done, and the great advice of letting her drive the V8 has all brought us to the conclusion that it is a V8, however, the automatic, since she definitely wants to drive it from time to time.

In addition, some give and take has left me with a pretty wide berth for upgrades.

Thanks for the help guys. We may be moving shortly for a new job, so it may not be until after that, but I'll post pictures once I do.

• 2 weeks later...
I gotta tell you though, the 5Speed Auto rocks and it's light years ahead of my previous 03 GT's 4Speed Auto.

The new auto is definitely under-appreciated. If my paycheck were riding on it and I could choose which to use in a race, I'd take the auto. ...especially if I needed to race with coffee in one hand!!

The new auto is definitely under-appreciated. If my paycheck were riding on it and I could choose which to use in a race, I'd take the auto. ...especially if I needed to race with coffee in one hand!!

I rode in a tuned "modded" auto with the tight shift points, that thing rocked! Still not fun driving though, I love the shifting! Later.

I posted this on another thread but I drove my brother-in-laws 05 with the auto that had a C&L CAI and a tune with modified shift points and firmness and I was very impressed. He had the 3.31s w/17" wheels and it chirped the wheels in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I know that as much as I like to shift and disregarding the fun factor, I couldn't consistently beat it so I'm glad I got the auto and I'm getting it tuned ASAP

Archived