TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'08 SGT stock wheel width?

I'm trying to buy a spare tire setup for my '08 SGT and my local dealer isn't any help. Guess my options are to buy a full sized wheel/tire (wheel can only be purchased through a Ford dealership if I have that right, tire from any tire shop, local or online), or to buy a smaller short-term use "donut" type spare.

Questions:

- Is the smaller "donut" type spare only available through a dealership as well? Happen to know how long they can be driven on, and maybe a general cost?

- Can you tell me the wheel width of the stock 18" polished chrome 5-spoke wheels that came on the '08 SGTs? My dealership thought it might be 9.5" but wasn't sure. The tires on it are P235/50ZR18 BF Goodrich gForce.

Thank you very much.

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic over the years. Do a search for "Spare" in this sub-forum and maybe in the discussion area of the SGT forum for some older threads.

My computer is bogged down at this site, & only this site for some unknown reason. Screens are slow to load & when I scroll it gets bogged down and slowly skips along, missing posts. It makes reading a real slow process, & I keep missing every other post. I have done a lot of reading on the spare tire subject though, learning about people's experiences, choices, how to modify my trunk for a full-sized spare, possible jack compatibility issues; and I've tried to search on these two questions and found nothing so far. My quest continues...

The stock wheel width is 8.5 inches wides. The GT500 wheels are 9.5 inches wide. I have a set of each for my 08 GT.

I'm trying to buy a spare tire setup for my '08 SGT and my local dealer isn't any help. Guess my options are to buy a full sized wheel/tire (wheel can only be purchased through a Ford dealership if I have that right, tire from any tire shop, local or online), or to buy a smaller short-term use "donut" type spare.

Questions:

- Is the smaller "donut" type spare only available through a dealership as well? Happen to know how long they can be driven on, and maybe a general cost?

- Can you tell me the wheel width of the stock 18" polished chrome 5-spoke wheels that came on the '08 SGTs? My dealership thought it might be 9.5" but wasn't sure. The tires on it are P235/50ZR18 BF Goodrich gForce.

Thank you very much.

Here is a complete thread I posted on the Mustang GT spare tire.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54708-shelby-gt-spare-tire-jack-assembly/page__p__930408__fromsearch__1entry930408

Here is a link to the correct spare wheel/tire combo for $80 on ebay at this time. It is a great price. The wheel, without tire, is $270 from Ford. Check some salvage yards for a complete jack assembly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220581898358&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Good luck.

Questions:

Thank you very much.

Go to your local Ford dealer and tell them you need a complete spare tire, jack, lug wrench and hold down for a 2010 Mustang GT....My wife's 2010 GT has the space saver spare and all, and it has the same wheel well in the trunk as the SGT...I'm tempted to just take that out of her car and put it in mine if we take a trip in mine now...she has the 19" wheels and tires on her car....

The space savers are not meant for long distance driving, they are for emergency use only at speeds below most posted speed limits to get you to the next place where you can get your tire repaired or replaced....

Now, if you have larger than stock brakes, the space saver may not work....especially on the fronts....may have to switch a stock tire to the front if you have a front tire go down and put the space saver on the rear....