TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DIY How to change Fuel Filter.

If anyone wants to use it or the Mods here can make a section for Do it yourself they may add this in there. I did it in maybe 30 mins. It's fairly easy. I included some pics so to be more helpful, PM me if you have any questions.

Equipment needed:

Only basic tools are need.

New Fuel filter

Spare rag to catch any leaking fuel when fuel lines are disconnected.

Low Profile Jack

Jack Stands

DSC06610.jpg

* Should mention that you can de-pressurize the fuel system before disconnecting the battery. I believe it's the fuel pump relay in the fuse box that you remove, then crank the engine, it may run for a second, then stall.

You can then reinstall the relay, disconnect the battery and proceed.

Much less fuel leakage.

Sam

1. Disconnect the battery( I was instructed to do this from a Master Ford Mechanic).

DSC06599.jpg

2. Raise the vehicle by the driver side. Please use a Jack stand for safety.

DSC06588.jpg

3. Next, follow the fuel lines (which are clearly marked) to where the fuel filter cover is and loosen up the bolts that is holding it to the vehicle along with the black plastic tabs. As for the plastic tabs you can get the tab removers or just pull on the black fuel cover until it disconnects from the black tabs AFTER YOU HAVE LOOSEN UP THE BOLTS AND SCREWS.

DSC06601.jpg

DSC06600.jpg

Pointing at some of the bolts and screws that needs to be removed in order for the cover to come off.

DSC06603.jpg

DSC06604.jpg

DSC06605.jpg

Keep in mind that there is a screw/bolt all the way up front that also needs to be taken off.

DSC06607.jpg

4. Pull the Black cover off.

DSC06609.jpg

5. Loosen up the bolt/screws holding the fuel filter in place, there should be two, one top and one bottom.

DSC06609-1.jpg

Notice- Place a old rag on the floor to catch the fuel when the fuel filter is disconnected from the fuel lines.

6. Once the top and bottom bolts are off, one at a time you will push the green tabs in and pull the fuel line away from the filter.

DSC06609-1.jpg

7.Once you get the fuel filter off, replace with new one and make sure that the arrow on the fuel filter is pointing towards the front (engine).

8.Connect fuel lines, they will just snap back into place.

9.Put the bolts back to hold the fuel filter.

10.Put Black cover back on along with bolts/screws and black tabs.

11. Connect the battery.

12.Turn the key but do not start engine to let the engine/fuel system to cycle the fuel into the fuel filter. Turn key back and forth 3 times and then start the engine.

13. All done. :happy feet:

Nice, I seem to remember my F150 needing a special tool to pull the lines, looks purty simple :)

Yeah, even my old SN95 needed that tool but this time around Ford made things easier, it is a quick and cheap maintenance task. Just push them in with your finger or a flat head and they disconnect.

Should mention that you can de-pressurize the fuel system before disconnecting the battery. I believe it's the fuel pump relay in the fuse box that you remove, then crank the engine, it may run for a second, then stall.

Much less fuel leakage.

Sam

Should mention that you can de-pressurize the fuel system before disconnecting the battery. I believe it's the fuel pump relay in the fuse box that you remove, then crank the engine, it may run for a second, then stall.

Much less fuel leakage.

Sam

Sam,

Thank you for your input, I added that in the topic if it is ok with you. If anyone has anymore input please let me know and I will add it. This is what TS is all about, helping each other out to maintain these vehicles in tip top condition :shift:

Also if anyone has anymore DIY techs please post up-Moderators, if possible can we get a Do it yourself / How to section?

Excellent write up but you didn't mention not smoke a cigar while doing this

:club:

:extinguish:

Sam,

Thank you for your input, I added that in the topic if it is ok with you. If anyone has anymore input please let me know and I will add it. This is what TS is all about, helping each other out to maintain these vehicles in tip top condition :shift:

Also if anyone has anymore DIY techs please post up-Moderators, if possible can we get a Do it yourself / How to section?

Maybe I can have my own write on how not too!! When in a rush just use a blow torch an easy way to shed hours off a job. I have tutorial video of me with a torch cutting out a leaf spring on a van. It was my first time ever handling one and see I'm in one piece. Even on a gas filter job save time and just cut those bolts out and clamps.

Archived