TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Canned tune question.

Yesterday I changed out the fuel filter,CAI filter and changed my oil/filter, I'm currently at 20K miles ( Greaser thanks for the hook up on the parts) and since I just got a SCT tuner I decided to buy a canned/email tune from BBR to see if I can gain anything. Well, I had questions after questions and BBR walked me through everything, very awesome customer service. I took the car for a spin both on the highway and through stop and go traffic but didn't really feel any difference as far as more oomph or what not. I pulled over and changed the car back to stock tune and went for another ride and the Shelby tune seemed much more responsive unlike the BBR tune so my question is that is it normal not to feel that much of a difference(if at all) without any upgrades? Also, who writes the tune for the Shelby GT- is it a tune that comes with the Ford Racing intake? I mean I guess I shouldn't have really expect a big power difference since the SGT is already tuned for 93 octane, oh well. I just want to hear other opinions- there are so many folks out there writing canned tunes so I may try another one but want to see what TS members have used first. My main reason buying the SCT is to use it for when I get 4.10's in which I know for sure I will feel the oomph.

Look at the difference in the CAI filters. I went with the Amsoil brand.

DSC06615.jpg

DSC06625.jpg

DSC06626.jpg

Cleaned her up a bit, show season is upon us here in Miami. Now it is pretty in Blue :dance:

DSC06629.jpg

DSC06643.jpg

I can't articulate much (if any) difference between the FRP and the Amsoil filters. From my point of view, the FRP filter seems to be the better choice because of more filter area. To each his own, if you are pleased with your choice, that's all that counts.

The thing to remember about flash tuning, is that it clears the adaptive memory banks. Adaptive memory stores upwards of 300 hours of day-today driving experience, such as weather temps, moisture, WOT, top speed, hard braking events, and so on. This is not your tune data, but a point of reference for climate and driving habits. You can achieve the same results by disconnecting the battery for 15 mintes or so.

After a flash (or battery disconnect), the EEC has no point of reference and relies on tune data alone. This can result in a seat-of-the-pants feeling that nothing has changed. To remedy this, a few on-ramp WOT pulls will begin to rebuild the Adaptive Memory and in short order, you will feel the effects in throttle response, idle, easier starting, MPG, ect. This is why dyno tuning and data logging is so critical to a safe tune.

Don't hold me to this, it's been many years now, but I believe Jerry Wrobleski is the grandfather of programable tuning. He was a Ford engineer from Livonia, MI on loan to Roush Engineering to develop the EEC I, II, III and IV. I met him back in 2002 just before he began work on the EEC V. He also developed several versions of the AOD auto tranny. He later moved on to found SCT Custom Tuning, and he is today pleasantly retired in FL. Custom tuning is very generic today, none of the major players are really doing anything different from each other, other than add their own imbedded anti-theft codings. When Jerry was tuning my race cars, it was a portable desktop computer and a "break-out" box that filled the back seat. Boy, oh boy, look at where we are today...

Happy motoring, gents, and be safe.

Lulu,

Thanks for the info, I will put the Blow By Racing tune back in and drive it around and see what happens. I know that in today's world of instant Gratification we expect everything asap and I certainly did not feel any difference between what SA did and what BBR did so I returned the cat back to the Shelby/Ford Racing tune.

If anyone can answer is it true by going to 4.10 gearing that I will top out at like 110 mph? Not that I drive that fast but to know the car won't go much higher than 110 is kind of a bummer.

110? I highly doubt it. I don't know what kind of comparison this is but I used to own a '97 F150 that I had souped up somewhat and had 4.10's in it and it went well over 110. I've had my SGT up as far as the speedometer will go a few times with the stock 3.55's with plenty to spare. I just ran out of road. I can't say with 100% certainty but I would guess the 4.10's wouldn't limit you at all as far as you would know. Several Mustangs that drag race have 4.10's or higher and cross the line at 1/4 mile over 140 mph. :peelout:

^^^ i agree, if top speed is really only limited by the computer, then you should have no problems going much higher... even if it was limited to 150 by the mechanical ability of the car you should be able to break 130mpg based on the % changes in ratios...

My Brenspeed tune sure showed me a seat of the pants night and day difference! Can't speak for BBR, but I can tell you the Brenspeed tune is AWESOME!

By the way, the Shelby/FRPP tune is 91 not 93!

I approach redline in 5th gear with my 4.10's at about 130-135 mph, so you can probably expect the same.

The top speed limiter can be overridden with your handheld tuner FYI. Search through the user adjustable parameters and you'll find it.

Any custom tune worth it's weight ought to yield a very noticeable difference right out of the gate with any of these cars, regardless of mods.

It sounds to me that BBR writes a crappy tune. For email tuners, I recommend Bamachips and Brenspeed. There's no doubt that the tune is loaded when dealing with either of those shops. Good luck.

Ken

I'm sure there wasn't any confusion, but I did mean 130mph, not mpg.... :hysterical:

Glad that Kens real world experience confirms it, makes me feel better about doing math in my head again!

It does make me wonder why they even put in a top speed limit in the car though if it wasn't going to pass 150ish regardless....

I really need to stop putting off trying a tune on mine, I'd really like to see how much difference it makes.

I'm sure there wasn't any confusion, but I did mean 130mph, not mpg.... :hysterical:

Glad that Kens real world experience confirms it, makes me feel better about doing math in my head again!

It does make me wonder why they even put in a top speed limit in the car though if it wasn't going to pass 150ish regardless....

I really need to stop putting off trying a tune on mine, I'd really like to see how much difference it makes.

I have the bamachip 93 octane race tune and its night and day difference

I can't articulate much (if any) difference between the FRP and the Amsoil filters. From my point of view, the FRP filter seems to be the better choice because of more filter area. To each his own, if you are pleased with your choice, that's all that counts.

The thing to remember about flash tuning, is that it clears the adaptive memory banks. Adaptive memory stores upwards of 300 hours of day-today driving experience, such as weather temps, moisture, WOT, top speed, hard braking events, and so on. This is not your tune data, but a point of reference for climate and driving habits. You can achieve the same results by disconnecting the battery for 15 mintes or so.

After a flash (or battery disconnect), the EEC has no point of reference and relies on tune data alone. This can result in a seat-of-the-pants feeling that nothing has changed. To remedy this, a few on-ramp WOT pulls will begin to rebuild the Adaptive Memory and in short order, you will feel the effects in throttle response, idle, easier starting, MPG, ect. This is why dyno tuning and data logging is so critical to a safe tune.

Don't hold me to this, it's been many years now, but I believe Jerry Wrobleski is the grandfather of programable tuning. He was a Ford engineer from Livonia, MI on loan to Roush Engineering to develop the EEC I, II, III and IV. I met him back in 2002 just before he began work on the EEC V. He also developed several versions of the AOD auto tranny. He later moved on to found SCT Custom Tuning, and he is today pleasantly retired in FL. Custom tuning is very generic today, none of the major players are really doing anything different from each other, other than add their own imbedded anti-theft codings. When Jerry was tuning my race cars, it was a portable desktop computer and a "break-out" box that filled the back seat. Boy, oh boy, look at where we are today...

Happy motoring, gents, and be safe.

Hey LuLu,

You clicked on something that may help me out. My car won't pass emission test due sensors not being triggered due to lack of mileage. So, I still had to drive it more with the tester to get those 2 sensors to light up and nothing could could my memory banks not logging anything. I have the SCT tuner if, I do the data logging would it show that the memory banks are getting all the info needed.

It was strange when my dealer told me about not driving enough at first, I thought they full of it. So, I went online looked it up and he wasn't wrong. Then sister called a couple of days later she lives in NJ and went to inspect her Toyota highlander and it failed. The guy told her the same thing you need to put more mileage on your vehicle. Her truck is only used on weekends.

Also the other day went over everything under hood my monthly inspection and found my positve battery connection loose. I was able to twist it now wonder if that could have been enough to keep clearing my memory.

I also was getting a code of P300 which is random miss fire since tightening the cable havent had it come. It always came on after a good beating.

Thank you for your input

I have emailed Brenspeed about a tune but I am giving BBR to respond to me as to why some SGT owners feel a night and day difference with other tuners.

This is what I got from Brenspeed,

The tune that comes on the Shelby GT cars is simply  a tune for the new Maf and CAI. Shelby has done very little with the calibration for additional performance. That being said I would have no way to gauge your perception on power and performance gains. I can tell you we have tuned thousands of new mustangs and definitely several hundred of the Shelby GT cars and every single customer has been very satisfied with our results. A single tune is $75 and although I cannot guarantee your specific satisfaction I can say the best way to tell is just give us a shot. We have a 5-7 business day lead time on all of our custom tuning.

I'm doing the same thing. After reading this topic and emailing a few TS members I have decided on Brenspeed for sure. Before I do any tuning, I am going to get a baseline dyno. I might just be anal about it but I want to know exactly where I begin and end in terms of power on each mod.

Is your car stock speedy?

Post up the dyno charts b4 and after if so!

btw, sorry if i came off as a dick in that other thread about post counts... it was a long day!!!

Bone stock still. I def will post dyno results. I called Kennedy's Dyno shop in Buffalo this weekend and they are booked over 2 weeks in advance. I have to go out of town for about 2 months for work around Philly so I have to wait now. Prob will be June. I hope not much longer. Once I get an idea in my head I get very anxious to get it done.

And no worries about the other thread. I understand.

:peelout::peelout::peelout:

When it was stock I had her to 150ish (hit the electronic cut off) multiple times in 5th with the stock 3.55's. Now that she is blown and has 3.73's I am at 140 in 4th at 6500 rpm haven't had it WOT in 5th yet.

Took one of the Ford Tech at the dealership for a ride one day and showed him how we could hit 140 before we hit the end of the on ramp. Lets just say he had a big grin.

I have two sets of tunes for my car one set is from Brenspeed and the other is from JDM. The tunes feel very different. Seat of the pants the JDM feels faster,but on the dyno and at the track the Brenspeed tune is the stronger tune. The JDM tune hits really hard down low but flattens out around 5 grand to 55 grand. The Brenspeed tune is not as strong on the bottom but at about 4 grand it passes the JDM tune and is still pulling at 6500. Around town the JDM tune is fun becasue of the bottom end but at the track it is a 12.8 or 12.9 and the bresnspeed tune is 12.4-12.6 consistently on street tires.

Just one question - our air filters are "lifetime", and, like K&N, require only periodic cleaning / re-oiling?

I'm most likely going Brenspeed at some point....

edit - check out this thread - very similar to this topic!

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/510434-tune-review-brenspeed-93-octane-vs-bamachips-93-race.html

Just one question - our air filters are "lifetime", and, like K&N, require only periodic cleaning / re-oiling?

I'm most likely going Brenspeed at some point....

edit - check out this thread - very similar to this topic!

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/510434-tune-review-brenspeed-93-octane-vs-bamachips-93-race.html

Yes, they are re-usable. I bought a new one because Greaser got me a good deal since he is a Amsoil dealer/seller and also my filter was never blue, it was white and just for show I wanted the blue color. The K&N re-oil kit sold at any auto shop is reddish/pinkish so I just went with the Amsoil. I still have my Ford Racing one incase I find a blue re-oil/cleaning kit.

Keep in mind not to over oil it when you clean it, excessive oil can foul up the up the sensor.

yes they are ilmore but the amsoil is a "lifetime" also and a dry filter so no oil to foul up the maf.

No prob Fordrocks1 let me know if you need anything else.

edit: PS i noticed a huge difference with my bama tune it makes the shelby tune look sad.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy your tune thru Brenspeed, any parts you buy from them later come with a free canned tune specific to your application. Their prices are as low if not lower than other places. Can't beat that. My Brenspeed tune made a big difference. As they said above, your car must learn, after you load the tune, so do not give up right away and go back to stock.. This can take like 20 minutes so so sometimes.

^Bamachips offers free tunes for life also FYI. Can't go wrong with either one of them. I personally ran Bama tunes before installing my supercharger and the difference was phenomenal. I was at over 350 rwhp NA with a Bama race tune and a handful of bolt-ons.

^Bamachips offers free tunes for life also FYI. Can't go wrong with either one of them. I personally ran Bama tunes before installing my supercharger and the difference was phenomenal. I was at over 350 rwhp NA with a Bama race tune and a handful of bolt-ons.

What were your bolt-ons?? 350 at the wheels sounds pretty good.

Hey LuLu,

You clicked on something that may help me out. My car won't pass emission test due sensors not being triggered due to lack of mileage. So, I still had to drive it more with the tester to get those 2 sensors to light up and nothing could could my memory banks not logging anything. I have the SCT tuner if, I do the data logging would it show that the memory banks are getting all the info needed.

It was strange when my dealer told me about not driving enough at first, I thought they full of it. So, I went online looked it up and he wasn't wrong. Then sister called a couple of days later she lives in NJ and went to inspect her Toyota highlander and it failed. The guy told her the same thing you need to put more mileage on your vehicle. Her truck is only used on weekends.

Also the other day went over everything under hood my monthly inspection and found my positve battery connection loose. I was able to twist it now wonder if that could have been enough to keep clearing my memory.

I also was getting a code of P300 which is random miss fire since tightening the cable havent had it come. It always came on after a good beating.

Thank you for your input

Hi guys.

I am the real "LuLu", and yes, I am a real woman in Mac's life.

Mac's not himself right now and he cannot respond like he wants too. His (and hopefully his last) surgery went well this past Monday (the tumor was beningh) and he wishes all of you well. He said "tell them to be safe and happy motoring". I suppose you guys get this unusual salutation, but I know he really means it. I read to him all of the comments posted here (as if I really understand any of it) and he smiled, so I would gather that smile is a positive reply.

It will be a while before he can get/come back here, but Mac will be back. Besides, his "LuLu" Shelby GT is almost done too, and I am sure he can't wait to share some details.

His e-mail is "sergtnmac@aol,com", and a few words from you guys would be nice. Positive. Bright. In my opinion, he has been through way too much for a guy who dedicated his life to public service, but that is our business, and there is no need to spread it out on the "www".

Thank you all fior reading this, and like Mac said...

"Be safe, and happy motoring".

LuLu.

Hi guys.

I am the real "LuLu", and yes, I am a real woman in Mac's life.

Mac's not himself right now and he cannot respond like he wants too. His (and hopefully his last) surgery went well this past Monday (the tumor was beningh) and he wishes all of you well. He said "tell them to be safe and happy motoring". I suppose you guys get this unusual salutation, but I know he really means it. I read to him all of the comments posted here (as if I really understand any of it) and he smiled, so I would gather that smile is a positive reply.

It will be a while before he can get/come back here, but Mac will be back. Besides, his "LuLu" Shelby GT is almost done too, and I am sure he can't wait to share some details.

His e-mail is "sergtnmac@aol,com", and a few words from you guys would be nice. Positive. Bright. In my opinion, he has been through way too much for a guy who dedicated his life to public service, but that is our business, and there is no need to spread it out on the "www".

Thank you all fior reading this, and like Mac said...

"Be safe, and happy motoring".

LuLu.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

FR1

Update.

Well, I emailed Blow By racing http://www.blowbyracing.com/ and told them that I was not happy with the tune for I did not feel any difference from the Shelby one and the new BBR tune and the car felt a bit boggy, just got a re-vised tune this morning, loaded it and went for a nice drive on the highway and man I can tell the difference now, first and second pulls harder (ran out of road for other gears) and the acceleration curve felt nice and smooth. The folks at BBR didn't give me any smack, hassle or problems, they just asked what was wrong and fixed it, I love great customer service, by the way the new revised tune was done free of charge.

I will gladly recommend them and use their product. Has anyone used their LCA's? http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbr-0506-001.html

Archived