TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another TB option

I apologize my friend, but I disagree. Save your money, the stock TB on a 4.6L-3V is a twin 62mm, and more than just efficient in almost all applcations. All it needs is a little attention inside the venturies to remove some casting errors, and you can accomplish this with fine grit papers and cloth, or, a sanding drum on a drill or Dremel tool. You can even polish up or paint the exterior while you are at it, if you want to invest the time.

My point of reference on this is my personal experience. LuLu is putting down 700+ RWHP on the dyno, albeit with a built engine and power adder. However, the stock TB with no modifications at all, still flows more air than my C&L performance intake manifold can handle. That's upwards to 330+ CFM per runner. I don't know FRPs specs, but they can't get much better performance without the manifold turning into an old school tunnel ram Alternate TBs are not cost effective, IMHO.

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I have to tell the truth.

Happy motoring gents, and be safe.

I apologize my friend, but I disagree. Save your money, the stock TB on a 4.6L-3V is a twin 62mm, and more than just efficient in almost all applcations. All it needs is a little attention inside the venturies to remove some casting errors, and you can accomplish this with fine grit papers and cloth, or, a sanding drum on a drill or Dremel tool. You can even polish up or paint the exterior while you are at it, if you want to invest the time.

My point of reference on this is my personal experience. LuLu is putting down 700+ RWHP on the dyno, albeit with a built engine and power adder. However, the stock TB with no modifications at all, still flows more air than my C&L performance intake manifold can handle. That's upwards to 330+ CFM per runner. I don't know FRPs specs, but they can't get much better performance without the manifold turning into an old school tunnel ram Alternate TBs are not cost effective, IMHO.

Happy motoring gen

ts, and be safe.

no buzz kill here :salute: i have a ported and polished TB on mine and dont ever plan on running enough HP to need more. i thought some of you high HP FI guys might want to see it cost less the the upgraded 62mm TBs out there and is capable of more CFM.

Mac, could you tell us a little more about LuLu's built engine and what power adder you are using to get 700+rwhp?

the stock TB is 55mm, FR just came out with the twin 62mm last spring. The L&M TB is better and will out flow the FR TB

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_62mm_Throttle_Body_p/m-9926-3v.htm

the stock TB is 55mm, FR just came out with the twin 62mm last spring. The L&M TB is better and will out flow the FR TB

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_62mm_Throttle_Body_p/m-9926-3v.htm

+1 on the stock TB being 55mm, but I'm still not so sure that a whole lot can be gained by increasing the TB flow on these motors, at my power level anyway ,maybe so at 700+ but I'm living proof that the stock TB is good to 600+. Having said that I still spent the money on the FRPP unit and my cars in the shop now getting it installed and tuned along with gears and a Truetrac, It will be interesting to see what the gains are with the 62mm FRPP if any.

^+2 on stock TB being 55mm. I'm looking forward to your comparison a lot. I'm still deliberating on whether a TB is worth the dough. I ran the BBK twin 62mm for a year and noticed nothing in the way of HP gains. The throttle response was crisper, but that's it.

Mac, could you tell us a little more about LuLu's built engine and what power adder you are using to get 700+rwhp?

Be glad to, GT, but not yet. I want her road worthy and with all the bugs worked out. Soon, my friend.

^+2 on stock TB being 55mm. I'm looking forward to your comparison a lot. I'm still deliberating on whether a TB is worth the dough. I ran the BBK twin 62mm for a year and noticed nothing in the way of HP gains. The throttle response was crisper, but that's it.

I may need to take a second look at LuLu's TB, but as I recall measuring the ID back in 2007 it was 62mm on my calipers. Maybe she's an oddball (as an early '07 build), or, maybe my eyes are worse that I think. My apologies for any errors, don't want to be misleading.

Nonetheless, LuLu's stock TB is in place, and without any modifications as I described in my previous post. The numbers don't lie, and the power is there with a stock (and untreated) TB.

Early on, I debated installng the AccuFab single blade TB. But, back then (and when I took my measurements), I would have had to gut the OEM intake manfold to accomodate the install. Local friends (one with a Marauder 4.6L-4V making 1000+ RWHP with twin turbos) talked me out of it, and I am just passing along that wisdom today.

My previous thoughts are this simple. Why spend the 250 bucks for 2 (or 9) mm increasse in TB venturies when it will not make any difference in performance? Even in LuLu's case (and with a performance manifold in place), the stock TB is more than efficient. If you wish to tweak it for a tad more, I left y'all a game plan. And, if you keep the polishing internal (thus invisible) you're be a little sneaky as well. Some motorheads I know thrive on sneaky.

Drive on gents, and be safe.

Be glad to, GT, but not yet. I want her road worthy and with all the bugs worked out. Soon, my friend.

well after almost 2 yrs your back and LuLu has been modified, good for you and glad to see your back on the forum. hope your doing well and looking forward to reading about LuLu's new power.

Hey Mac! Good to see you back! Will LuLu by chance be road worthy and making an appearance at Shelbyfest?

Can't say for sure just yet, my friend. LuLu's looking almost done and ready for her shake-down cruise, and I'd lke to be in Hermann with my friends too. But, I have one more surgery due next Monday (4/12), and I just cannot commit to anything past that date.

I (and LuLu) will be back on the road soon, I promise.

Can't say for sure just yet, my friend. LuLu's looking almost done and ready for her shake-down cruise, and I'd lke to be in Hermann with my friends too. But, I have one more surgery due next Monday (4/12), and I just cannot commit to anything past that date.

I (and LuLu) will be back on the road soon, I promise.

Mac, best of luck on the surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery :shift:

Archived