TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can I Kill, Or At Least Pistol Whip Him?

While my heart goes out to skiph and his door ding, and this isn't even in the same ballpark as what happened to him, I had to share this story. (At least hoping for a witness!)

Long day on Friday, so on the way home I stop at a local Chinese Barffet. Parked way out in the lot, no other cars within 2-3 rows of me, near a bright light. Go in and stuff my face. Just as I was finishing up, I noticed a family, or at least small group of 4-5 people leaving. One of them was some raggedy blonde haired punk kid, probably around 20-22. He was eating a soft-serve vanilla ice cream cone. What caught my eye was how high he had the ice cream piled on the cone. About 4-5 minutes later, I leave. As I'm waking towards the car, I notice something on the top. It was the ice cream cone. He had smashed it on the roof. Looked all around and did not see any cars moving or leaving the lot.

I ran back in and got a huge stack of napkins. As I got back to the car, the ice cream was just starting to melt and running into the gap between the top of the front windshield and the roof. I wiped off as much as I could and headed for a spray-wash a few blocks down the road. Got there and did a quick wash & rinse. Since I have the 5-step Zaino polish system on the KR, everything came right off. Got home, dried the car and went over it head-to-toe looking for any scratches or dents from the cone, or signs of it having been keyed. Fortunately, all is well.

Again, this is no comparison in the least to what happened to skiph, and I wasn't even going to post about it here, but things like this really boggle my mind. What in the hell would possess somebody to do this? What kind of sick and twisted mind could even THINK of doing something like that? Is that supposed to be funny?

Was at a BBQ Sunday afternoon with a bunch of friends. I had told one of them Saturday about the incident and she was relaying the story to a few folks there. The best they could come up with was that this was some punk loser, who could never even dream of owning such a special car, and that the group of them probably filed into a 1971 Yugo that was laying out a smoke screen as it tried to get their fat asses up the hill and out the lot. At least by that point, I got a good laugh out of that analogy.

Now, I know we have a couple of current or former police officers around here. Obviously, had I come out and seen him do it, I'd still be in jail. I have no doubt that had I caught him, I would have run toward him and slammed him to the ground with a flying tackle, taken out a few teeth, and swollen both eyes shut from excessive pounding. So, my question to the boys in blue. What can you really do in this situation? Can I forcibly hold him and call the cops? My gut tells me that the police would just laugh at me and not be willing or able to do a thing.

And what about skiph and his door ding? I saw in that thread that he should have filed a police report, mainly for insurance purposes, but what if he had caught the mofo in the act of physically damaging his car?

What can you really do? Nothing?

Again skiph, no comparison to what happened to you, but a pisser still.

John

I just can't imagine what kind of trash person did that. Trust me, what goes around comes around. I heard a similiar story when the Mustangs first came out and some trash poured their soda in the seat of someones convertible. He left the top down. Unfortunately, he would of probably sued you if you beat him up.

While my heart goes out to skiph and his door ding, and this isn't even in the same ballpark as what happened to him, I had to share this story. (At least hoping for a witness!)

Long day on Friday, so on the way home I stop at a local Chinese Barffet. Parked way out in the lot, no other cars within 2-3 rows of me, near a bright light. Go in and stuff my face. Just as I was finishing up, I noticed a family, or at least small group of 4-5 people leaving. One of them was some raggedy blonde haired punk kid, probably around 20-22. He was eating a soft-serve vanilla ice cream cone. What caught my eye was how high he had the ice cream piled on the cone. About 4-5 minutes later, I leave. As I'm waking towards the car, I notice something on the top. It was the ice cream cone. He had smashed it on the roof. Looked all around and did not see any cars moving or leaving the lot.

I ran back in and got a huge stack of napkins. As I got back to the car, the ice cream was just starting to melt and running into the gap between the top of the front windshield and the roof. I wiped off as much as I could and headed for a spray-wash a few blocks down the road. Got there and did a quick wash & rinse. Since I have the 5-step Zaino polish system on the KR, everything came right off. Got home, dried the car and went over it head-to-toe looking for any scratches or dents from the cone, or signs of it having been keyed. Fortunately, all is well.

Again, this is no comparison in the least to what happened to skiph, and I wasn't even going to post about it here, but things like this really boggle my mind. What in the hell would possess somebody to do this? What kind of sick and twisted mind could even THINK of doing something like that? Is that supposed to be funny?

Was at a BBQ Sunday afternoon with a bunch of friends. I had told one of them Saturday about the incident and she was relaying the story to a few folks there. The best they could come up with was that this was some punk loser, who could never even dream of owning such a special car, and that the group of them probably filed into a 1971 Yugo that was laying out a smoke screen as it tried to get their fat asses up the hill and out the lot. At least by that point, I got a good laugh out of that analogy.

Now, I know we have a couple of current or former police officers around here. Obviously, had I come out and seen him do it, I'd still be in jail. I have no doubt that had I caught him, I would have run toward him and slammed him to the ground with a flying tackle, taken out a few teeth, and swollen both eyes shut from excessive pounding. So, my question to the boys in blue. What can you really do in this situation? Can I forcibly hold him and call the cops? My gut tells me that the police would just laugh at me and not be willing or able to do a thing.

And what about skiph and his door ding? I saw in that thread that he should have filed a police report, mainly for insurance purposes, but what if he had caught the mofo in the act of physically damaging his car?

What can you really do? Nothing?

Again skiph, no comparison to what happened to you, but a pisser still.

John

Wow I cant understand why people do things like this. Something similar happened to me when I had my car on display at a show some kid thought it was funny to throw a rock at my car. It hit my bumper left a nasty mark, when I heard the hit I saw the kids running and by the time I realized they hit my car they were long gone. Now I don't display my car much anymore.

I don't leave the Shelby out of sight when it's out of the garage, that means no parking lots where there isn't a direct view . Times are tough and it's hard for some people not to resent some cat driving a 50K mustang, it's the way it is, even though it's wrong. I feel bad enough leaving a dd out in a parking lot. These cars have a big fat target on them.

Wow I cant understand why people do things like this. Something similar happened to me when I had my car on display at a show some kid thought it was funny to throw a rock at my car. It hit my bumper left a nasty mark, when I heard the hit I saw the kids running and by the time I realized they hit my car they were long gone. Now I don't display my car much anymore.

I agree, the few events I go to, I either do the cruise part only then leave, or go as a spectator... too many dumb fucks out there and I don't want to go to jail because of my response to them....

I guess many of us have had experiences like the one you posted.

I had my brand new M3 (BRAND NEW! with 27 miles on it) keyed. I had some guy trying steal my tire valve stem caps (BBS machined caps) off my FGT. I caught the little bastard

in the act. Took off all his plastic caps that he put on my FGT from his tires and threw them across the lot and put my BBS caps back on my car and told him if he wants to keep breathing to leave quickly.

There are too many jerks out there. While there are alot of nice people the jerks are everywhere.

Unfortunately they don't wear signs that identify themselves as jerks. So...you just have to

be careful where you leave the car and try to leave it where you can keep an eye on it.

I'm also very picky where I take the cars. Select shows and some select cruise nights.

You just have to try and protect it as best you can but you have to balance it off with enjoying it too.

Can I forcibly hold him and call the cops? My gut tells me that the police would just laugh at me and not be willing or able to do a thing.

In California if a crime is not commited in the presence of a police officer, the victim can and should detain the suspect until the police arrive. It's called a citizens arrest. After the police arrive they will interview you (the victim) and have you sign a form declaring you will aid in prosecution. This is called a citizens arrest form. This ADAM HENRY commited PC 594(a)(2), Vandalism. The likelyhood of prosecution, since there was no damage, would be slim to none, however, you could have jammed this punk up alittle bit.

I just can't imagine what kind of trash person did that. Trust me, what goes around comes around. I heard a similiar story when the Mustangs first came out and some trash poured their soda in the seat of someones convertible. He left the top down. Unfortunately, he would of probably sued you if you beat him up.

That sucks John. These cars are a-hole magnets. :rant2: The deal with the convertible was that someone shook up a beer and sprayed it all over the inside of this guys GT500 convertible. He had to take the dash apart to clean it. Major bummer. Thing probably still smells like a brewery. I always put my top up before going into the store. Of course I very rarely take my car anywhere I have to leave it unattended because of this kind of crap.

Can I forcibly hold him and call the cops? My gut tells me that the police would just laugh at me and not be willing or able to do a thing.

In California if a crime is not commited in the presence of a police officer, the victim can and should detain the suspect until the police arrive. It's called a citizens arrest. After the police arrive they will interview you (the victim) and have you sign a form declaring you will aid in prosecution. This is called a citizens arrest form. This ADAM HENRY commited PC 594(a)(2), Vandalism. The likelyhood of prosecution, since there was no damage, would be slim to none, however, you could have jammed this punk up alittle bit.

Here's the good part about a California citizen's arrest.

You can use whatever force is *necessary* to hold the perp until the police arrive. That leaves a WHOLE lot up to interpretation!

My old boss used "force" to detain a young kid that was beating up his daughter and that's how I know about it. He got sued by the kids mother buy she lost and he won his counter-suit (he was awarded ONE dollar) but he NEVER faced any legal consequences from pounding the kids face into the asphalt. His home owners insurance paid for his defense too so it didn't cost him a dime.

According to his lawyer, "whatever force is *necessary*" could include DEADLY FORCE, if _NECESSARY_!

Warning: This is in CALIFORNIA and I don't know if it applies to other states. Check your state laws before finding out....the hard way.

I'd a detained his punk-ass, at the very least with his face in the pavement.

He who laughs last.......

Phill

Here's a nice law for us Texas owners, see 9.42 2 (A) below for theft and criminal mischief at night.

§ 9.41. Protection of One's Own Property.

Statute text

(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(B) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

§ 9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property.

Statute text

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or[/b]

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

It sounds like the punk had thought of doing this prior to leaving the restaurant. He filled the cone up with as much ice cream as possible to go out a put it on someones car. Yours looked the nicest for more impact. I bet this isn't the first time he's done it. You might see him up there sometime in the future. Hmmmm, be careful if you do though. I am sorry to hear these stories. They are definitely nightmare material for all of us.

In retrospect its probably best to call the police and make a report then ever taking the law into your own hands. Call the cops and press charges. If there is damage thats what insurance is for just make out a police report.

But as someone said, nice cars like the KR can be a$$hole magnets. You just have to keep and eye out as best you can but try not to let it consume you to the point where you can't enjoy the car.

Gentleman, gentleman, clearly this is a situtation that calls for an old tried and true deterent system that we have all become familar with over the last few years....

Gentleman, gentleman, clearly this is a situtation that calls for an old tried and true deterent system that we have all become familar with over the last few years....

Enis,

Is that the new "active security" option on the 2011 GT and GT500?

On second thought, maybe it's the elusive "heated seat" option (if you know what I mean).hysterical.gif

• 2 weeks later...

From a law enforcement perspective, at least here in NV it's not a crime to do what he did. The act must cause permenent damage, i.e. a scratch or a convertible top stained. That being said, I'd pound the little punk and take my suspension.

I guess many of us have had experiences like the one you posted.

I had my brand new M3 (BRAND NEW! with 27 miles on it) keyed. I had some guy trying steal my tire valve stem caps (BBS machined caps) off my FGT. I caught the little bastard

in the act. Took off all his plastic caps that he put on my FGT from his tires and threw them across the lot and put my BBS caps back on my car and told him if he wants to keep breathing to leave quickly.

There are too many jerks out there. While there are alot of nice people the jerks are everywhere.

Unfortunately they don't wear signs that identify themselves as jerks. So...you just have to

be careful where you leave the car and try to leave it where you can keep an eye on it.

I'm also very picky where I take the cars. Select shows and some select cruise nights.

You just have to try and protect it as best you can but you have to balance it off with enjoying it too.

Ok not to threadjack, but I have to know more about this... what did this little asswipe say when you caught him?

Did he try to run?

Did you grab him and smack him around a little?

I once had two caps stolen off of my rims in a mall parking lot. I'm fairly certian I would have gone to jail if I had caught the person doing it... but to this day I wish I had.

• 4 weeks later...

$%&*@%&^@% *&%^ey$%#$&%#$ !@#^%#$ JUST CAME OUT FROM A STORE AND SOME A$$ JUST KEYED MY DRIVERS DOOR!!!!!!!

Are you serious? That is just ridiculous... After you call the police, check with the local store owners to see if anyone has video surveillance footage.

Sorry to hear your car was damaged.

Keith

$%&*@%&^@% *&%^ey$%#{:content:}amp;%#$ !@#^%#$ JUST CAME OUT FROM A STORE AND SOME A$ JUST KEYED MY DRIVERS DOOR!!!!!!!

Oh man am I sorry to hear that. Hopefully someone saw who it was and you can go dismember them with a rusty saw blade, blow torch and needle nose pliers.

I'm to the point now where I won't take the KR anywhere that I can't keep an eye on it at all times.

This really sucks that there are so many cowardly punks out there.

This is actually the second time this has happened to my KR, Luckily I have a paint protector that protects against chips keying etc.. the keying should be able to be buffed out, but that is beside the point, these jerks should leave other people’s property alone!!

No camera at the location and no one noticed anyone around the car doing anything. I do not want to keep the KR locked up as this car is meant to be driven , but if this kind of stuff keeps happening I am going to have to do something.

This is actually the second time this has happened to my KR, Luckily I have a paint protector that protects against chips keying etc.. the keying should be able to be buffed out, but that is beside the point, these jerks should leave other people’s property alone!!

No camera at the location and no one noticed anyone around the car doing anything. I do not want to keep the KR locked up as this car is meant to be driven , but if this kind of stuff keeps happening I am going to have to do something.

Tim - Sorry to hear about the incident. Where did this happen? I tend to park a good ways from other cars so as not to draw too much attention. Hope the car buffs out.

Fred

Archived