TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When does the clutch TSB expire on our cars?

I spoke with the service manager at my local dealership today and he was going to perform the TSB on my car, but said that he couldn't because my three year warranty was up. Is the three year warranty the warranty that covers our clutch TSB?

I thought the drivetrain is 5yr/60,000 miles? This isnt part of the drivetrain?

i heard both some Dealers say its only 3/36k an some have covered it under the 5/60k. you could try an work them into getting it done under the 5/60k since it really is a powertrain issue

When I asked at my dealership, they told me the flywheel was covered under the 5 yr powertrain warranty but the clutch was under the 3 year warranty. Since

the clutch has to be replaced along with the flywheel, they would cover the whole TSB under the powertrain warranty.

Now if only I could get my flywheel to warp before my 5 years is up!

When I asked at my dealership, they told me the flywheel was covered under the 5 yr powertrain warranty but the clutch was under the 3 year warranty. Since

the clutch has to be replaced along with the flywheel, they would cover the whole TSB under the powertrain warranty.

Now if only I could get my flywheel to warp before my 5 years is up!

Welcome to TS!!

Before I had mine done a member posted to "hit stop and go traffic" for a while. :hysterical: That might do it!

And honestly, some have, and some haven't had issues on the clutch. It seems to me that it is a very active and looming issue with the pre-October (?) 2008 GT500's. Mine was starting to show wear at about 14K, if I remember correctly, and I would say I'm moderate to low when it comes to driving the car hard. Part of having the TSB done was 1) reading the threads on the forum, 2) knowing what was coming, 3) knowing how to prepare the dealership (thanks Grabber), and 4) being able to recognize the symptoms early to avoid the "is it covered or isn't it covered under warranty?" questions later.

To have the TSB covered under the 5 year powertrain Warranty the Flywheel needs

to be the cause of failure..........Most Dealers say the wear item Clutch causing

the failures?????????

If the clutch wears out and is slipping, its the clutch that failed, not the flywheel. This is really not a TSB related failure anyway.

If the flywheel warps due to heat and causes the clutch to lock up, IE NOT DISENGAGE then its a flywheel failure and you might talk Ford into coverage under the powertrain warranty.

From Ford's point of view its pretty easy to tell which part failed. The clutch itself is a wear component and not part of the powertrain warranty or even an ESP plan.

If the clutch wears out and is slipping, its the clutch that failed, not the flywheel. This is really not a TSB related failure anyway.

If the flywheel warps due to heat and causes the clutch to lock up, IE NOT DISENGAGE then its a flywheel failure and you might talk Ford into coverage under the powertrain warranty.

From Ford's point of view its pretty easy to tell which part failed. The clutch itself is a wear component and not part of the powertrain warranty or even an ESP plan.

so then explain how all these clutches are failing with less than 10k on them. because these clutches are actually really strong an are made with good stuff. but theres no way this clutch should wear out with less than 20k on it. i dont care if you ride the clutch all the time. shit my king cobra in my 5.0 lasted forever and i beat the hell out of it.

Don't know why or how your wore out your clutch prematurely. High torque motors are hell on clutch wear. I'll jinx mine and say that I now have 25000 on the original clutch, in Houston stop n go rush hour traffic and it drives and shits as good today as when it was broken in. And its an early Job 1 2007. Could fail tomorrow who knows. None the less, there is a reason there is no warranty on the clutch friction material beyond the 12/12 adjustment period of warranty. Its a wear item and Ford has no control of how you drive the car and wear the clutch.

There are better aftermarket clutches according to the vendors but I have yet to see one in a GT500 with 50k miles on the aftermarket clutch material either. There are several OEMs that have made it well beyond that point so they are not all THAT bad. Its a VERY demanding service for a clutch.

I am not trying to argue right and wrong here. Just helping other to understand the situation in which we find ourselves. If mine dies tommorrow, lethal gets a call.

One possibility of clutch wearing out prematury is riding it a bit so car won't shudder upon take off, especially in heavy traffic. Usually a dealer is more than happy to do work under warranty, it's Ford that's not giving them the green light, I know this for a fact. I feel with all the problems that have been documented concerning clutch problems, etc that you should have no problem getting them to fix it.but you will probably have to raise a little hell with Ford.

One possibility of clutch wearing out prematury is riding it a bit so car won't shudder upon take off, especially in heavy traffic. Usually a dealer is more than happy to do work under warranty, it's Ford that's not giving them the green light, I know this for a fact. I feel with all the problems that have been documented concerning clutch problems, etc that you should have no problem getting them to fix it.but you will probably have to raise a little hell with Ford.

If these cars didn't weigh 4K pounds, and come with a 2.97 first gear and a 3.31 r&p, the clutches might have a chance! I cannot believe the gearing in these things. I still think my GT-H would run all over this car... :banghead:

Rant over...please carry on

your right about that im sure if you raise hell you will have a much better chance. also tell them if they dont fix youll never buy another ford an youll trade you car in for a vett. they will prolly work with you then

If these cars didn't weigh 4K pounds, and come with a 2.97 first gear and a 3.31 r&p, the clutches might have a chance! I cannot believe the gearing in these things. I still think my GT-H would run all over this car... :banghead:

Rant over...please carry on

put some 373's in an the car is some much better an funner, the stock 3.31s just are good for the stock to light moded GT500's.

Archived