TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend - 2011 Mustang GT / Camaro / Challenger comparison

Correct. It will not be a bit surprising to see the more hard core performance publications posting better times at the hands of more aggressive pilots. MT's 12.8 for the GT500 was improved to a12.2 by the well known Evan Smith.

His best on showroom stock tires and all is 11.95 @ 120 in the car.

Was the 11.95 ET in a 2010?

yeah, that's his best time on the stock rubber.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0910_2010_ford_shelby_gt500_drag_test/test_run_results.html

2010 Shelby GT500 Scorecard

Run 60-Foot 1/4-Mile/MPH

1. 1.852 11.855/117.66

2. 1.850 11.784/118.93

3. 1.825 11.805/117.36

4. 1.778 11.592/118.45

5. 1.913 11.951/120.29*

* Run with stock tires; all other

runs with 26x11.5x17-inch Mickey

Thompson E.T. Streets

Run 5 is bone stock, 1 - 4 are with DRs.

yeah, that's his best time on the stock rubber.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0910_2010_ford_shelby_gt500_drag_test/test_run_results.html

2010 Shelby GT500 Scorecard

Run 60-Foot 1/4-Mile/MPH

1. 1.852 11.855/117.66

2. 1.850 11.784/118.93

3. 1.825 11.805/117.36

4. 1.778 11.592/118.45

5. 1.913 11.951/120.29*

* Run with stock tires; all other

runs with 26x11.5x17-inch Mickey

Thompson E.T. Streets

Thanks for posting that. Great info for sure.

11.6 with DRs only is an absolutely killer run in an otherwise stock vehicle!

Run 5 is bone stock, 1 - 4 are with DRs.

In Colorado there are tons of 10' mustang gt's left. I doubt you can walk in and get a 2011 5.0 for invoice when they have 10+ 4.6's left over. But more power to you if you can

I know here in Maryland I can walk into my dealer and get a 2011 GT for $300 to $600 over invoice. They still have 2010s and a 2009 on the lot.

I know here in Maryland I can walk into my dealer and get a 2011 GT for $300 to $600 over invoice. They still have 2010s and a 2009 on the lot.

The '10s are some serious dead meat at this point. Those are going to need to be severely discounted once the '11s arrive.

After walking around the NY car show and chatting with friends for 4-5 hours, I decided the the GT is just too good a bargain to pass up.

First, I want a convertible, so the Challenger is out (which is unfortunate; it's such a beautiful car)(it's also quite large). So, it's the Mustang only.

Second, I use the car as my daily driver on my 15 mile commute, sometimes in traffic, sometimes not.

Third, I don't track or strip my car (I have never taken my current GT to the track or strip).

Finally, I simply do not heavily mod a car, my current mods being only a shift and CAI. On the 2011 GT, I would probably do the same mods.

So is it worth the extra $10,000 to have "SHELBY" on the back of my car? As much as I would like to say yes, (and my wife thinks that I should) I simply cannot justify it to myself. That $10,000 can make me rest easier in my kid's college fund.

by your desciption of how you would use the car, i would think a GT500 vert in a low mileage, used, excellent condition would still be a better option than a new 5.0. got to be close price wise and of course i'm biased on looks. i cruise with folks that have new vetts and bmmrs and the GT500 always gets the attention.

jmho

mike

Cheap formula for embarrassing GT500's on the street:

a) Base model Mustang GT 5.0

b.) Automatic transmission

c) 4.10 gears

d) Sticky tires

Outside of a track will I very seldom race anyone from a stop, it's just too easy to get embarrassed. Let me roll along at 40-70 mph and then it's a party.

I am so glad they came back with the 5.0!!! I have always been a huge fan. Like other have said, no matter what they rate the drivetrain at it with take a ton more I am sure.( but so will a GT500 )

I had 555rwhp on a stock shortblock old school 5.0 with no problems, and I have seen stock T-5's run in the 9's.

From a stop on the street a ton of cars could hang with a GT500 until 40-50 for sure. They can be hard to hook. But after that watch out!

IMO the 5.0 or the gt500 are both great cars for the money. Even the V6 is a powerhouse!!! 13.7@102!!!

I am so glad they came back with the 5.0!!!

Technically Ford never had a 5.0. Technically Ford still doesn't.

The car made famous by Robert Van Winkle was a 302 cubic inch motor, which is a 4.9. Besides, how cool would the song be if it was, "Rolling, in my 4.9..." :headscratch:

They need to start testing the '11 SVT GT500s. I can't wait to find out what these G2 Eagle F1 Supercars can do. I've always loved Goodyear tires over Pirelli's.

I want to see what the new SVT GT500 can do also, I wager it beats M3s around tracks.

But why would you not like Pirellis? They are better in every way except wear, which is annoying since I can't really justify replacing my Goodyears until they are worn out.

Love my GT500 Shelby, but the Challenger is a very hot looking car. I don't like the Chrysler 300 looking steering wheel, wish they would change it to a more retro look, (ie) 3 spoke. I actually had an SRT8 ordered in red before I changed my mind and bought my Shelby. The interior and power are sooo much nicer, but the Challenger still has a place in my heart. Grew up learning how to drive in a 69 Z28 Camaro, but the new one just isn't retro enough. Sorry Chevy fans, it just looks cheap.

Hahaa. I was considering the same thing, Challenger SRT8 as well. But apart from being impressed thoroughly at what the STV team did to the 2010, the cue ball shifter and preferring the looks of the GT500 300x more, I couldn't feel good about the price being so close to a GT500, with that much less performance and power.

I was very puzzled when i sat in a new Camaro, i felt like i was sitting in a fast food joint, honestly, and the confused center panel doesn't help.

I want to see what the new SVT GT500 can do also, I wager it beats M3s around tracks.

But why would you not like Pirellis? They are better in every way except wear, which is annoying since I can't really justify replacing my Goodyears until they are worn out.

I replaced the PZeros on my Saleen with Eagle F1s and the difference was night an day and dry and especially wet hook up. I haven't looked at a pirelli since and other than the PZero don't have much experience with them.

I have limited track experience, just talking about launching and street racing.

Back to the article- The Mustang had the shortest stopping distance but they gave the Challenger the nod in brakes? Oh yes, it's the mysterious "brake shudder" that no other review has mentioned :hysterical:

The reason is the Challenger is fade free. I'd prefer brakes that are fade free than ones with marginally shorter stopping distance that can hit that distance one time.

The fact that a 4200 lb land yacht has fade free brakes over a 3600 lb Mustang tells me the Brembos aren't up to par.

The SRT Challenger has 14" Brenbo's too.

Technically Ford never had a 5.0. Technically Ford still doesn't.

The car made famous by Robert Van Winkle was a 302 cubic inch motor, which is a 4.9. Besides, how cool would the song be if it was, "Rolling, in my 4.9..." :headscratch:

You're half right. The old Windsor 302 was 4,942 cc's, or 4.9L. However, the new Coyote 302 is 4,951 cc's, or 5.0L. <4,950 cc's rounds down to 4.9L, >4,950 cc's rounds up to 5.0L.

You're half right. The old Windsor 302 was 4,942 cc's, or 4.9L. However, the new Coyote 302 is 4,951 cc's, or 5.0L. <4,950 cc's rounds down to 4.9L, >4,950 cc's rounds up to 5.0L.

Technically Yes the iron block was 4,942 cc's 4.9L

Technically No the new 4,951 cc motor is not out yet...so no ford does not have a 5.0 yet. Wait a couple more days.

The Dodge and Chevy have larger Brembo's on all four corners. Thats why they were fade free and the GT wasnt. GT should have them the the rear also.

I will summmm up my last statement...

ready?? ....

I want a new 2011 mustang/shelby !!!!!

Any questions?

Yes, the Challenger does have Brembo's all the way around and the MGT doesn't, but the rotor diameter (front brakes) are the same for both cars.

"For those who will take full advantage of the new 7000 rpm redline (previously 6500 rpm) and 160 mph increased speedometer, there is also an optional Brembo brake package that includes 14-inch ventilated front discs from the GT500 Mustang, bespoke 19-inch alloy rims and summer performance tires."

The Challenger's front brakes are also ventilated 14 inch rotors.

I will absolutely concede that the MGT should have Brembo's all the way around too, but that goes back to the live axle vs. IRS issue. Ford says that it would add too much cost to the MGT's price if they included rear Brembo's to the MGT's live axle, because they would then have to build modified 8.8 differentals (to accomidate the larger caliper, etc.) for those people who would order the Brembo package, and a standard 8.8 for those who didn't. Personally, I think that's a load of crap, because if they automaticlly put rear Brembo's on the GT500's, then they could use the same "special" differentals on the 2011 MGT's too.

But I guess it boils down to keeping the assembly line simple and moving which translates into efficiency, and efficiency means saving dollar$. Seems to me that FoMoCo could have two different differentals and still keep the line efficient, but aparantly Ford sees it another way.

The bottom line is that the numbers don't lie and the 2011 MGT needs to do better in the (rear) brake department. Offering front Brenbo's on the 2011 MGT is a quantum leap forward, but they just need to go the extra inch and offer them in the rear too. That's especally true with the 2011 GT500's SVT package.

Just my opinion.

Archived