TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend - 2011 Mustang GT / Camaro / Challenger comparison

Interesting review, but am I missing something or is this a typo?

This is MT's text above the video window...

FINISHING ORDER: Dodge, Chevy, Ford.

I thought that the Mustang won them over...? I read that as Dodge 1st, Chevy 2nd, and Mustang 3rd.

That has got to be a typo. Or maybe we are supposed to read it from right to left? headscratch.gif

I figured it out, and it was my oversight. The "finishing order" that they are referring to above the video window is a summation of one of the test catagories. I didn't click on pages 2, 3, 4, etc, and if I had, I would have seen that there were three different "finishing orders" for three different tests/challenges within the overall review of the cars.

Just my stupidity, that's all. hysterical3.gifconfused.gif

I figured it out, and it was my oversight. The "finishing order" that they are referring to above the video window is a summation of one of the test catagories. I didn't click on pages 2, 3, 4, etc, and if I had, I would have seen that there were three different "finishing orders" for three different tests/challenges within the overall review of the cars.

Just my stupidity, that's all. hysterical3.gifconfused.gif

That's ok Enis! We still love ya!

Edited by check6

Makes you wonder if the performance benefit of the '11 GT500 is significant enough over the '11 GT to justify the cost. I understand the whole upgrade or mod mentality that the GT500 has more headroom...but I'm regarding it as a strictly stock trim comparison.

Makes you wonder if the performance benefit of the '11 GT500 is significant enough over the '11 GT to justify the cost. I understand the whole upgrade or mod mentality that the GT500 has more headroom...but I'm regarding it as a strictly stock trim comparison.

Stock versus stock you have to remember you need to put around $8k of options on the GT to make it "comparable". GT500's are loaded from the factory. Take a look at a base model GT. Interior is crap.

Edited by ChrisSD

Stock versus stock you have to remember you need to put around $8k of options on the GT to make it "comparable". GT500's are loaded from the factory. Take a look at a base model GT. Interior is crap.

You don't need to add $8k worth of options.

GT Premium Coupe MSRP $32,845

Brembo Package $1,695

3.73 Gears $395

HID $525

Security Package$395

Delivery $850

Total $36705.00

This is before you even account the fact you can pickup these cars for invoice right now. It's much harder to find that kind of deal on a GT500.

Edited by bpmurr

No way will you find a 2011 GT with the 5.0 for invoice. Not until all the 2010 4.6's are gone. After the reviews the 5.0's are getting its gunna take a while to move the 4.6's! So 38k for the GT...I just paid 42k for my 2010 gt500. Ill take the 500 any day

Hmm, that's funny. I just got off the phone with the Ford dealer I bought my wife's Escape from in December. He'd be happy to discuss a 2011 GT with me at or near invoice. When I mentioned $300 above invoice, he said that sounds about right.

Love my GT500 Shelby, but the Challenger is a very hot looking car. I don't like the Chrysler 300 looking steering wheel, wish they would change it to a more retro look, (ie) 3 spoke. I actually had an SRT8 ordered in red before I changed my mind and bought my Shelby. The interior and power are sooo much nicer, but the Challenger still has a place in my heart. Grew up learning how to drive in a 69 Z28 Camaro, but the new one just isn't retro enough. Sorry Chevy fans, it just looks cheap.

Edited by OneTrickPony

Hmm, that's funny. I just got off the phone with the Ford dealer I bought my wife's Escape from in December. He'd be happy to discuss a 2011 GT with me at or near invoice. When I mentioned $300 above invoice, he said that sounds about right.

Yup that's what my dealer is selling them for. Sure there will be some shady dealers trying to get top dollar. However, there are a lot of dealers out there looking to move cars and realize that the Mustang is a high volume car.

Edited by bpmurr

Exactly! It is simply amazing how some enthusiasts are unable to comprehend the fact that Ford can jam out more Mustang GTs and GT500s than the car buying public would ever consume. There will never be a shortage of GTs or 50 some thousand dollar GT500s. Jiminee Christmas guys look at the pricing history on this stuff, empty the Kool Aide pitcher, forget the hype and be smart with your money.

Love my GT500 Shelby, but the Challenger is a very hot looking car. I don't like the Chrysler 300 looking steering wheel, wish they would change it to a more retro look, (ie) 3 spoke. I actually had an SRT8 ordered in red before I changed my mind and bought my Shelby. The interior and power are sooo much nicer, but the Challenger still has a place in my heart. Grew up learning how to drive in a 69 Z28 Camaro, but the new one just isn't retro enough. Sorry Chevy fans, it just looks cheap.

Funny you say that. I was going to order a Challenger as well before I decided on the GT500. A new job made the GT500 affordable and I'm glad I have one. I'd love to have a Challenger as well at some point.

Edited by bpmurr

You don't need to add $8k worth of options.

GT Premium Coupe MSRP $32,845

Brembo Package $1,695

3.73 Gears $395

HID $525

Security Package$395

Delivery $850

Total $36705.00

This is before you even account the fact you can pickup these cars for invoice right now. It's much harder to find that kind of deal on a GT500.

My bad, $6705.

Actually, you didn't add the premier trim. The GT500 seats are better than any GT seat, you need to option the GT out on the inside as far as possible minus the comfort package which isn't on the GT500 for a good comparison.

Edited by ChrisSD

Exactly! It is simply amazing how some enthusiasts are unable to comprehend the fact that Ford can jam out more Mustang GTs and GT500s than the car buying public would ever consume. There will never be a shortage of GTs or 50 some thousand dollar GT500s. Jiminee Christmas guys look at the pricing history on this stuff, empty the Kool Aide pitcher, forget the hype and be smart with your money.

Yup, I definitely jumped the gun. I just now am at the point after paying for two years (almost) where I could have gotten an '08 right now. :banghead:

But, I would have been void of a lot of good memories if I had waited.

My bad, $6705.

Actually, you didn't add the premier trim. The GT500 seats are better than any GT seat, you need to option the GT out on the inside as far as possible minus the comfort package which isn't on the GT500 for a good comparison.

Yeah but the price spread between this car and the GT500 is $10k easy. Different strokes for different folks. Let's see what the 2011 GT500 does before value is determined. I would have no problem driving a 2011 GT.

As for the Premier trim it isn't need. While we have the Alcantara the rest of the seat material and door trim matches the GT500 without the premier trim.

Edited by bpmurr

Yeah but the price spread between this car and the GT500 is $10k easy. Different strokes for different folks. Let's see what the 2011 GT500 does before value is determined. I would have no problem driving a 2011 GT.

Yep, around $10k is how I see it. Completely worth it too if you are into performance. Built motor and 610 ft/lbs torque rated trans aren't on the Mustang GT option sheet....

A GT is a downgrade from your current car. You have completely bought into the hype. You've been scared a GT is faster than your GT500 for like 4 months man =)

Sit in the cheap seats in a GT, maybe you'll start realizing all the extra content on a GT500.

Edited by ChrisSD

Yep, around $10k is how I see it. Completely worth it too if you are into performance. Built motor and 610 ft/lbs torque rated trans aren't on the Mustang GT option sheet....

A GT is a downgrade from your current car. You have completely bought into the hype. You've been scared a GT is faster than your GT500 for like 4 months man =)

Sit in the cheap seats in a GT, maybe you'll start realizing all the extra content on a GT500.

Sorry I don't have the elitist attitude you have about the GT500. The GT interior isn't cheap by any means. (been in a Camaro lately?) The differences aren't as drastic as you make it. I'm not worried about the GT but I respect the fact that Ford really did a good job. Let's see what the 2011 GT500 does.

Edited by bpmurr

Elitist attitude? Please.

I certainly don't have time to be insulted by you. I've owned 3 Mustang GT's and a few LX 5.0's.

The differences are drastic if you are into maximum performance and the ability to beat on your car and have it survive. The trans alone is a $3500 difference. The MT82 won't take anything near what the TR6060 can take. When one trans is rated 50% higher than another, it means something.

Edited by ChrisSD

Elitist attitude? Please.

I certainly don't have time to be insulted by you. I've owned 3 Mustang GT's and a few LX 5.0's.

Your own words on here and The Mustang Source say otherwise sometimes. I'm not insulting you, just telling you how you come off to me and other posters at times. Just because you've owned other Mustangs means nothing. So have I....

As for the trans that's great and all. I think you'll be surprised what a GT can handle. Sure the GT500 can do more, I'm not going to contest that. It's just the GT is a sweet price/performance point.

Edited by bpmurr

Sure the GT500 can do more, I'm not going to contest that. It's just the GT is a sweet price/performance point.

After walking around the NY car show and chatting with friends for 4-5 hours, I decided the the GT is just too good a bargain to pass up.

First, I want a convertible, so the Challenger is out (which is unfortunate; it's such a beautiful car)(it's also quite large). So, it's the Mustang only.

Second, I use the car as my daily driver on my 15 mile commute, sometimes in traffic, sometimes not.

Third, I don't track or strip my car (I have never taken my current GT to the track or strip).

Finally, I simply do not heavily mod a car, my current mods being only a shift and CAI. On the 2011 GT, I would probably do the same mods.

So is it worth the extra $10,000 to have "SHELBY" on the back of my car? As much as I would like to say yes, (and my wife thinks that I should) I simply cannot justify it to myself. That $10,000 can make me rest easier in my kid's college fund.

Edited by Maxhenry

5.0 or not, I would have always chosen a Mustang or Shelby. The Camaro is ugly and hard to see out of, and the Challenger is just too huge and heavy for my tastes. Congrats to Ford for keeping our Mustang in good form!

The quarter mile time they have posted for the GT is faster than the time they have posted for theGT500. Maybe its time Ford give the Shelby more agressive tires stock.

Correct. It will not be a bit surprising to see the more hard core performance publications posting better times at the hands of more aggressive pilots. MT's 12.8 for the GT500 was improved to a12.2 by the well known Evan Smith.

Correct. It will not be a bit surprising to see the more hard core performance publications posting better times at the hands of more aggressive pilots. MT's 12.8 for the GT500 was improved to a12.2 by the well known Evan Smith.

I know there are varying opinions on "roll racing" but I would love to see the major mags include 40-130 mph times for these cars.

I know there are varying opinions on "roll racing" but I would love to see the major mags include 40-130 mph times for these cars.

The rags used to include various "roll" performance times in their tests but seldom do anymore. These numbers are a far better barometer of actual street performance. The GT500 would would shine over the GT in those tests and really showcase its engines power advantage. The roll test isolates the engine by removing the varialbles introduced by weight transfer, tire coefficients and suspension bias to a great degree.