TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VentureTape nightmare

Okay so here it goes, if I can get this out without getting ill to my stomach and bring back my headache.

So, MM totally takes car of my by quick as lightning telling me to go anywhere I choose and take care of the couple of paint issues I had come across. I take the car down to the detail shop minutes after he tells me this, and 5 hours later they call me as they are closing to tell me its done. I was already heading there to wait for it to be done, i pull in the parking lot and I can SEE the difference in fading light of the early evening that my car looks INCREDIBLY better. It was glowing, just mouth droppingly better looking that just a few hours before. I was giddy, it looked beautiful.

I had an appointment for a vendor to install VentureTape (clear view bra stuff that Grabber has on his car) the following morning at 9AM. I trailored my car down to this vendor and had a 20 minute talk with them on exactly what I expected and wanted. Everything Grabber talked about in his video on addressed with them. (Damnit I'm so mad right now I don't know what to say next). ANYWAY, 4 hours later they are done. I was NOT allowed to watch any of the install due to the way the shop is set up nobody can be in their work area because of insurance reasons. Fair enough, plausible. I go out to the shop to inspect the car. I very quickly start seeing things that scare this :censored: out of me. Air bubbles, lifted edges, lifted corners, *DEBRIS* behind the material and a couple other items. I start addressing this with the vendor/installers/owners (all one in the same). They start removing sections to get out the debris (brand new fricken car, there should not be LUMPS on this material because of stuff stuck to the car). I address bubbles and they start sticking needles in the bubbles to drain them like blisters. (I am terrified this scratched my paint underneath at this point now). I talk to them about some of the issues they give me answers such as "that is normal it will go away" and "it will take a few days to cure and that will all be gone then" "if there are any lifted edges or bubbles that are not gone we will take care of it". Fair enough I will go with this and see what it looks like.

2 1/2 days have gone buy. My car has sat in my garage at 73 degrees warming and drying and just sitting. I pulled it out today to wash it and clean it spotless like it was Thursday night. I'm now PISSED :angry22: . There is a scratch 3 feet long down my passenger door. They DID NOT rinse/clean my car before installing the material, they used microfiber towls and just wiped the damn thing off. SERIOUSLY? It just traveled 200 miles and they WIPE it off? Well that explains the scratch and all the debris behind the damn material causing LUMPS all over the place. I have found razor blade cuts in my paint from them trimming the material to FIT on the car. PISSED. there is a 1 1/2 inch slice in my lower quarter (the black plastic piece that runs under the door, name slipping my mind atm) where they again were trimming the material and got sloppy and sliced it. Big deep cut? No. Big cut to me? Hell yes.

Now we go into the application of the material. I could have done, and WOULD have done better doing it myself. they show like 4 pieces to put the entire front clip together. After I get a chance to clean and inspect it an hour ago, there are over 14 pieces to put it togeter. Why is this important? EVERY single piece is another damn seem to gather dirt and crap in it. It was not one piece to cover the paint and stripes. It was one for the paint, then 2 on the strip, one for the space between the stripes, then 2 more for the next strip then another for the paint on the other side. Bullcrap. One side has the GT500 with material covering it, the other is totally missing. There is a section with no material between the stripes. There are edges lifted up all over the place, at least a dozen that I found. There are at least 7 corners that are lifting up as well. There are a TON of bubbles in it, debris in more spots. MANY places that I was led to believe would be a piece to cover it are multiple pieces, which means more seems and more dirt and future problems. Half the edges are wrapped like I specifically told them I wanted and half are not wrapped.

THEN, many places the material is 1/4 to 1 inch away from an edge it SHOULD have gone all the way up to. This is the case for about 60% of the material.

At this point, I am completely disgusted. It looks like complete horse :censored: . My wife and I are discussing what we are going to do about this. I am so pissed off. 900 bucks is what I paid to get my car trashed. I could have just kicked the fender in and done that for free.

I want my money back, I want this crap off my car and I will deal with rocks or whatever as they come. Pissed.

More to follow come tomorrow.

Nic

I feel for you, cuase this is the sorta luck I have. Venture is a great product but the problem is, nothing is good if the installer sucks and unfortunately, it can be a coin toss if your going to get quality work or not.

sorry, and I know the 900 bucks does not even worry you, you just wanted it done right.

Also, 900 is high IMO, scary thought, one day, the saying you get what you pay for was true, not so today

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a nightmare installation. I can tell by your post that you had the same outfit install yours that did mine. My entire job had to be re-done because I insisted on my edges being wrapped...then they had to re-do my fender again because a spec of dirt was under the fender area. They would not let me in the shop either.....so I stood by the garage door and side door and watched. I walked in several times too....and got told to not come in because there insurance would not permit it. I noticed that the younger guy did most all the detail work because the older guy was having some trouble. I thought to myself that that older guy did not have steady hands or that great of eyesight. The older guy would actually wait for the younger guy to do most of the work. He seemed to be getting most of the material off the computer and handing it to the younger guy and helping him hold it and position it and then squeegy it.

Mine turned out good in the long run....but it took 3 go-backs. That was a pain in the a$. Would I go there again......NO. Recently a member "Slabo" called me to ask me about them.....and I told them I would not go back there because of the big hassles I had to get the job done and then redone...and then done again. I FEEL FOR YOU.

When I was at the Portland Auto show last month HighLine Customs had a display of there work with the Ventureshield. They seem to know what they are doing. Myself and Spring Lil Cobra asked them many questions. As you can see from there web site, there pricing is pretty good. They provide a rental car with there service too.

http://www.highlinec...Protection.html

I don't understand why they used 14 pieces to do the front clip. :headscratch:

It should of been a total of 4

1 for the small piece between the stripes

1 for the right stripe

1 for the left stripe

1 for the bottom of the entire front clip that wrapped up to the top by the sides of the stripes

TOTAL = 4

The computer pre cut the pieces for the front clip...minus the stripe pieces that had to be hand made. I was worried about the seams taking on some dirt so I capped them with some white pin stripe tape 2 years ago and have not had any problems.

PinStripes001.jpg

PinStripes004.jpg

PinStripes005.jpg

PinStripes006.jpg

PinStripes012.jpg

PinStripes014.jpg

016-2.jpg

023.jpg

Sorry, what an f'd up story!!

I can relate to your frustration...in the end it will work out, I may be inclined to remove the stuff and return the car to the detail shop for repair if not a paint shop document it and make the clear cover shop pay for it...that old insurance issue I m sure is real but it never keeps me from walking back...or I split with my car.

I learned from this forum that if you pull up in front of a service businesses office and snap digital picture down the sides and front of the car they wil trat it like a gold brick...some of the best advice I got from this forum....it really works....

I have no clear tape on my car and never will...I also might note that I have several chips way up high on the hood that these covers would not have saved me from...

I think that the Shelby store sells a set of this stuff however....

No offense to anyone but to me it is like plastic on a couch or a lampshade...not for me.

Drive 'em and dont worry, in the end we are all going away and the need for a 100% perfect car will not matter....enjoy them now and smile more.

Dang that sucks. luckily the shop that put my venture shield on did a pretty good job. I am however feeling exactly like you with the shop that just put my glassback roof on. they couldnt get the moldings to stick on so they ended up putting a screw through the side of one of them and into the A-pillar of my car on the by the front windshield. not even a flat head screw either, a big button head :cry:

Sorry, what an f'd up story!!

I can relate to your frustration...in the end it will work out, I may be inclined to remove the stuff and return the car to the detail shop for repair if not a paint shop document it and make the clear cover shop pay for it...that old insurance issue I m sure is real but it never keeps me from walking back...or I split with my car.

I learned from this forum that if you pull up in front of a service businesses office and snap digital picture down the sides and front of the car they wil trat it like a gold brick...some of the best advice I got from this forum....it really works....

I have no clear tape on my car and never will...I also might note that I have several chips way up high on the hood that these covers would not have saved me from...

I think that the Shelby store sells a set of this stuff however....

No offense to anyone but to me it is like plastic on a couch or a lampshade...not for me.

I also didn't use any plastic shield just because of what happened. I bought a Colgan Bra and use it for highway trips only. It has preserved the nose perfectly and is a lot cheaper. Hope your situation is resloved.

Drive 'em and dont worry, in the end we are all going away and the need for a 100% perfect car will not matter....enjoy them now and smile more.

Nic that really sucks--a scartch is a scratch--you can use Maguiars #3 and 9 to get out anything that doesnt go all the way thru the clear.As to the bra thing, remember waht Freud said, "insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different reults'--Cancel the check, dont even bring it back to those guys.Im curious what the detail did to get rid of the spots.I was thinking they miht have used the 3M Finesse product to buff it out,rather than wet sanding.Im betting all the orange peel is gone too--bob

That sounds like my luck - I'd be sick, too.

But look at this way - even if they got it perfect, in 2-3 years it will look like a gang of 8 year old boys stood in front of your car and pissed all over your hood and bumper. I thought I wanted this stuff too until I saw it on an '07 (put on new) and it had a nasty yellowish tint to it, not to mention all the dirt lines.

I hate rock chips as much as anyone, but I prefer the don't tailgate method and an $11 tube of touch-up paint.

I did not want to put this stuff on my car as i dont like the edge of the clear bra.

I am very happy with the Clogan Bra that I have for my car. It passed the 140 mph test with flying colors.

It takes me about 5 minuets to install looks great and does a good job. I do NOT have any scratches on my car from it at all.

Hella cheaper than clear bra and I put it on myself. I only use it when I drive it on the freeway not in town.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the installation Mustanggt500. I would literally be beside myself. Can't believe how much damage they did with cutting the material and such. Hope you are able to somehow get it fixed. Really takes the edge off the excitement of having a new car like this.

Personally, I agree with several people that commented here already. I'd never have that stuff installed on my car. As someone stated it's like putting a cover on a new couch. I know there are some respected people on the boards that swear by this stuff - But I just don't like it. And if it indeed turns yellow and collects dirt in the edges in time..that's even more reason for me not to ever want it on my car.

A little bit of cautious driving goes a long way to prevent rocks flying at your front end. Just stay off the tailgate of people in front of you. It's worked out fine for me in 9 months of driving.

As always to each their own. Hope you are eventually able to enjoy your car after this.

do yourself a favor first get your money back, second pull that crap off before it sets, it comes off i have seen being pulledoff a zr1 i have it done also ,mine is a 3m product and put on by pros , i live in ny these guys do 98% of 911, all high end cars there work is done for dealers, and private guys also very expensive but you get what you pay for mine was 1500 , mine was there first 2010 gt 500 they made templetes, my complete hood is done except stripes, complete bumper,except stripes half of the fenders all front lights with a thicker 3m thats on paint,behind front wheels. in front of rear wheels , a pillars and mirrors, these guys cut everything buy hand ,not one scratch, i have to point it out to people for them to notice it there are certain lines on bumper and mirrors that you just can not bend this stuff with out getting a bad line so these guys who do your car really need to have experience and have had done many cars if you need to speak to me call me 1718 208-9182 more then happy to help you or let speak to the guys that did mine call me if you like johnny

cbr, make sure they know what they are doing i know my was priceeee, but it was done correct, when the hood was done the heat extractor was removed so the 3m was folded under ( the correct way) when the did behind front wheel it covers gt 550 and the side skirts where removed (no ending line ) the same in front of rear wheel, the bumper part need to stop before they even atempt to bend it over the top part or bumper which is only about 2 or 3 inches ,my lights are covered, they also turned the 3m under the wheel weels so there are no no no lines we all know the price of our cars some might think i over payed , put i will put my car up against any car done with venture sheild , my car took 2 days to do if you or anyone think any of these jerks can do your &50,000 toy in 4 hours you should get back in your car and run no one has a problem spending 5-6 grand on a supercharger up grade or 2-3-4 grand on new wheels so do not cheap out on something that 99% protects your toy from rock chips it might not be for everyone but if you are going to do it do it wright do it once, 3m has been around along time when did venture sheild apear

I have to chime in again.

If you think that not tail gating will yeild no chips, your crazy!

The paint on the Fords is not like that used on the high end euro cars

One big thing I believe is the main cuase is where you drive. I live up north where they salt heavily and I drive year around so I belive most of my chips occur during the winter time but then again my worst chip came when I hit a patch of unfinished highway and a car from at least 50 yards ahead shot one right off my hood.

Also, with the front bumper being so low perpendicular to the road, any debris on the road hits your front end.

Oh and driving over 100 most of the time sure does not help

Next car, I def am getting clear bra.

You just have to get someone that does Ferrari's and lambo's and stuff IMO

do yourself a favor first get your money back, second pull that crap off before it sets, it comes off i have seen being pulledoff a zr1 i have it done also ,mine is a 3m product and put on by pros , i live in ny these guys do 98% of 911, all high end cars there work is done for dealers, and private guys also very expensive but you get what you pay for mine was 1500 , mine was there first 2010 gt 500 they made templetes, my complete hood is done except stripes, complete bumper,except stripes half of the fenders all front lights with a thicker 3m thats on paint,behind front wheels. in front of rear wheels , a pillars and mirrors, these guys cut everything buy hand ,not one scratch, i have to point it out to people for them to notice it there are certain lines on bumper and mirrors that you just can not bend this stuff with out getting a bad line so these guys who do your car really need to have experience and have had done many cars if you need to speak to me call me 1718 208-9182 more then happy to help you or let speak to the guys that did mine call me if you like johnny

What a guy, great post....this seems like the way to go if you are going to do it....

I don't think you have to worry about that. :hysterical:

ya, he does... if I remember right yellow + orange = blue?

back on topic.. to the original poster, hope everything works out okay. I know it's the last thing you want anything to do with, but as you're considering options you will still be better off with a clear bra. Maybe you can get a refund then take it to someone for detailing and find a better installer..? good luck.. keep us updated.

grabber, 2010 blue gt 500 here , i hope i did not offend anyone with venture shield ,your car looks great, my 3m product comes in sheets which give the installers different options on how to make cuts and where to end a line or not end a line, from what i here venture sheild comes pre cut , which leaves no options for the installer to change or make custom cuts , just my opinion bottom line like i said in last post , it all in the hands of the installer, just like a window tinter who does not no what they are doing you get bubbles, and crap under your tint , i waited 6 weeks just for a appointment with these guys (detailing dynamics rosyln ny) if car is going to be finished in 4 hours your car is not done correct , again sorry if i offended anyone

grabber, 2010 blue gt 500 here , i hope i did not offend anyone with venture shield ,your car looks great, my 3m product comes in sheets which give the installers different options on how to make cuts and where to end a line or not end a line, from what i here venture sheild comes pre cut , which leaves no options for the installer to change or make custom cuts , just my opinion bottom line like i said in last post , it all in the hands of the installer, just like a window tinter who does not no what they are doing you get bubbles, and crap under your tint , i waited 6 weeks just for a appointment with these guys (detailing dynamics rosyln ny) if car is going to be finished in 4 hours your car is not done correct , again sorry if i offended anyone

Venture shield does not come pre-cut. perhaps they make precut kits, im not sure, but my venture shield was a custom cut job. pretty sure Grabbers was as well since he pointed out exactly what he wanted.

I don't understand why they used 14 pieces to do the front clip. :headscratch:

It should of been a total of 4

I capped them with some white pin stripe tape 2 years ago and have not had any problems.

Damn that is a great idea. My front bumper is 1 piece. so it has the air lines down the sides of the stripes.

Most people can not even notice that my car has a clear bra.

The new stuff does not yellow.

No plastic look here!

i purchased mine and installed myself from Clear Mask in texas. I would much rather mess it up my self instead of paying someone to do it. it was not very difficult just time consuming. They use the 3M stuff and i have used it for years on other vehicles and i have never had a problem with yellowing and this stuff is like 5th generation material guaranteed not to. Very few people even notice it on the car.

i know how you must feel now..hopefully they take care of you

Venture shield does not come pre-cut. perhaps they make precut kits, im not sure, but my venture shield was a custom cut job. pretty sure Grabbers was as well since he pointed out exactly what he wanted.

+1

I was not offended at all. I was just clarifying my install and some points.

So yours was the grabber blue they were doing before mine.

Nic, Very sorry to hear about the install issues, we are all very protective of these fine cars so this kind of disregard for them hurts us all!

Hope it all works out.

Have a good one!

Regards,

Jim

I've been trying to talk myself into this clear bra for 3 years and every time I convince myself to do it I stumble upon another horror story. I cant bare the thought of some inexperienced idiot screwing up my car. Right now I use the Colgan bra for the long road trips, It only takes a few minutes to install and it works great. For local driving I just keep a safe distance behind the car ahead of me to avoid road chips. So far so good.

Archived