TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 Modification Questions

Ezareth

Hey guys, I just placed my order for a Black 2011 GT500 Convertible with the SVT and Eletronics package.

I sold my '99 Saleen S281 with a speedster package ( light bar and tonneau cover ) last year to pave the way for buying this guy and I'd like to install a light bar and full Tonneau cover (covers the rear seats) on my Shelby. What I've noticed is that the Classic Design Concept light bars that I've seen installed on other GT500's have the CDC logo embedded on the left side facing the drivers seat. My saleen light bar (also made by CDC) did not have that. Has anyone found one without the logo for a recent model mustang? Also what about Tonneau covers? I can't stand the air blowback from the rear seats while driving with the top down (not to mention the dirt they collect) so I'm looking something similar to the one I had on my 99.

The car is planned to be more of a show car than a drag strip champion but what are the usual easy bolt on mods (I'm not much of a mechanic, computers are my thing) that are proven? HP isn't the only thing that matters here, improved drivability, fun etc are also important. An Aluminum Drive shaft is one thing I think that would be a great improvement.

Also and I know this is a bit ignorant considering I've just purchased one but are the stripes on a Shelby Vinyl or are they painted on the car? I recall seeing either a GT500 or a Shelby GT at a dealership several years ago and noticed the stripes were vinyl and looked poorly applied. From my experience with my Saleen Vinyl decals and graphics fade and change colors when water is dried on them and I'm not a fan of them.

Lastly and I don't know if anyone has asked this question before but has anyone ever attempted to "hack" the electronics package on the Shelby? I'd like to develop if someone already hasn't a few "modifications" to the electronics on the Shelby depending on exactly what hardware comes with the package. Does anyone know what operating system (if any) is used to run the Shelby Electronics package?

Thanks to anyone who offers answers here or knows where to point me.

only thing i know is the the stripes are vinyl--havent had any issues with color with silver---theres mixed opinion on taking care of the stripes, i have used a Final Detail spray from Maguiars, and they look fine. Others have suggested a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water for any spotting that may occur--bob

LockPick

A "hack" similar to what I'm thinking except there has to be a better way to do it. I'll probably buy one of these and start there by reverse engineering their "mod". So many modifications to the mechanics of this car, noone has realized the potential for the electronics.

Does anyone have any input on the common lower end performance/drivability mods? Things the factory at Ford for whatever reason does not include OEM that it should?

And on the stripes what do you guys do if you get a knick or a gouge in one of the stripes from a rock or something?

And on the stripes what do you guys do if you get a knick or a gouge in one of the stripes from a rock or something?

:banghead: It's about all you can do. I'd like to hear if there is a solution. The track is rough on stripes....

Hey guys, I just placed my order for a Black 2011 GT500 Convertible with the SVT and Eletronics package.

I sold my '99 Saleen S281 with a speedster package ( light bar and tonneau cover ) last year to pave the way for buying this guy and I'd like to install a light bar and full Tonneau cover (covers the rear seats) on my Shelby. What I've noticed is that the Classic Design Concept light bars that I've seen installed on other GT500's have the CDC logo embedded on the left side facing the drivers seat. My saleen light bar (also made by CDC) did not have that. Has anyone found one without the logo for a recent model mustang? Also what about Tonneau covers? I can't stand the air blowback from the rear seats while driving with the top down (not to mention the dirt they collect) so I'm looking something similar to the one I had on my 99.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking for a light bar/tonneau cover combination for my '08 and the only one I found is made by Cervinis. The only thing stopping is that I find the light bar somewhat over the top. I'm not sure if it would fit the current 2010-2011 model year with the "hips".

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking for a light bar/tonneau cover combination for my '08 and the only one I found is made by Cervinis. The only thing stopping is that I find the light bar somewhat over the top. I'm not sure if it would fit the current 2010-2011 model year with the "hips".

Just bought my first mod, a light bar from CDC. I called them and asked them if they make a version without the logo and they said they actually supply a version without the logo to Shelby.

Basically for those not familiar with the light bars, there is an embedded CDC logo on the drivers side for the majority of them out there. The Saleens used to have no logo and I guess the Shelby's do not either. The guy told me they fill the indentation with bondo and sand it before applying the vinyl covering.

I got it shipped for $465, not too bad although you can get one with the logo for $400 shipped at other distributors.

Now to find a damn Tanneau cover.

LockPick

A "hack" similar to what I'm thinking except there has to be a better way to do it. I'll probably buy one of these and start there by reverse engineering their "mod". So many modifications to the mechanics of this car, noone has realized the potential for the electronics.

Does anyone have any input on the common lower end performance/drivability mods? Things the factory at Ford for whatever reason does not include OEM that it should?

my stripes are silver and one of the TS members found a paint pen that is an almost perfect match.Ive used it twice and i cant even find where the nick was.Id think black would be even easier to touch up

It looks like it isn't offered on the 10-11 models ) =

There doesn't seem to be a full speedster style tonnaeu cover at this point.

Anyone here done an Aluminum Driveshaft swap? Notice any difference? I know when I swapped the driveshaft in my Saleen I could tell my engine felt "lighter" or something when accelerating hard....like it wasn't as bogged down. It doesn't give it any more horsepower I know but almost 30 pounds less off your rotational mass can't be too bad.

Should I get the Shelby Aluminum Driveshaft or the Evolution Performance or are they the same?

It also looks like it is a mod I can do myself which is a major plus.

If you search part # 4361R at www.Cervinis.com they do show one for a 2010. Unfortunately it is a 2 piece setup. Hopefully Saleen or SMS will make a one piece style

Actually looking at SMS It appears they are offer a "Speedster Package" on their 460 convertibles much like the Saleen

Speedster Package – Convertible Only

The SMS Speedster Package gives your car an exotic look to your SMS 460 convertible.

Retail: $2,679.00

I need to see if they sell the tonneau seperately. Saleen used the CDC light bar much like Shelby is.

The Shelby Driveshaft is a Dynatech 1 piece. I believe that's the exact same thing as what Evo sells.

Odd Shelby says it is 21 lbs. in weight loss and Evo "about 30".

Is this just another care of Evo overestimating everything?

BTW I have Calls in to both SMS and Cervini's on the Tonneau covers.

Just got off the phone with SMS

Lady there told me the parts for the Speedster Package on the SMS 460 should be available online within the next 2 months and she added me to the mailing list for when the parts become available.

Can't wait!

Archived