TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My $#%^@! $686 Door ding

skiph

It was bound to happen. A door ding :banghead:

But did it have to be in like the worst place possible? :shrug:

And did not know that without a police report (yea, for a door ding) it falls under Collision and would jack up my rates if I use insurance to pay for any of it. Howerver, with a police report, it falls under uninsured motorist coverage (unless of course I see the person do it and go through all the exchange paperwork and have his/her insurance pay for it). Oh, and that has a lower deductable too!

But can't stand to see it there, staring at me every time I get in the car, so with any luck should be all better by the 16th.

Right there on the crease of the Left Rear QP

:censored::censored::censored:

post-19729-127023343417_thumb.jpg

post-19729-127023343417_thumb.jpg

Really sorry to see that. Are you going to use a "Dent master" or "Ding Master" company, or are you going to take it in to a body shop?

People are just so self-absorbed nowadays. They have no regard for other people's properity. Hit someone's door and just say "oh-well" shrug.gif and drive away. banghead.gif

Really sorry to see that. Are you going to use a "Dent master" or "Ding Master" company, or are you going to take it in to a body shop?

People are just so self-absorbed nowadays. They have no regard for other people's properity. Hit someone's door and just say "oh-well"

Thanks. Because it is in the edge/crease, no way to pull it out right. So body shop and painting the whole QP

sorry, didn't see the thumbnail....that's a tough one.

I had someone kick, yes kick mine on the right rear panel and creased it so that paintless repair wouldn't work.

That is not a accidental dent...

Someone forcefully opened their door and hit your...

I feel your pain. Far as your insurance issue. This should be under your comprehension, which is other than collison. If your car was parked and your keys were not in the ignition, it would other than collision.

I had an issue with my 2001 Dodge Dakato Quad a year ago, that when I came back to my truck, there was a HUGE dent in the back left door. This was a comprehension claim and my insurance paid it. Since it could not be proved that it was a cart or car that did this, it was claimed as stated.

Tom

And did not know that without a police report (yea, for a door ding) it falls under Collision and would jack up my rates if I use insurance to pay for any of it. Howerver, with a police report, it falls under uninsured motorist coverage (unless of course I see the person do it and go through all the exchange paperwork and have his/her insurance pay for it). Oh, and that has a lower deductable too!

But can't stand to see it there, staring at me every time I get in the car, so with any luck should be all better by the 16th.

Dude, I feel ya... I've had my fair share and there is nothing that aggravates me more. I even park far away and stuff like this still happens. I had my car at the dealers this week for warranty work on my Shaker 1000 and noticed that the front bumper was scratched. I'm not 100% it happened there, but 99%... What can you do? I buffed most of it out, but very irritating nonetheless. I had a ding like that (same place- on a crease) on my FX4 and believe it or not, a local Dent Docter, or maybe Dr. Dent... one of them, was able to get it out. Try something like that before going to a body shop. Black is a tough color, but hopefully everything will work out. Some people have no respect...

Sorry to hear about your door-ding; they cause me to scream, and cuss and loose sleep at night. I've had two and in both cases a paintless dent remover-guy did an excellent job, absolutely made dings go away. The last ding repair cost me 125$. This guy is supposed to be a master and I believe it! That's the route I'd try if I was you. Just my 2 cents.

I was pelted all over in a hail storm two Weeks after purchasing my SGT and I had some nastey dents. Someone who is good at PDR should be able to work this out for roughly $100 give or take $50.

Here is a warning on PDR; if they cannot reach the dent through on opening in the underbody they will drill a hole to access the area. The hole shouldn't be larger then a nickel but it is a hole none the less. I learned this just the othe day when I took my SGT in to have the hood stripe redone. Luckly its hidden under the hood blanket, but I'm assuming there are others hidden under interior panels.

Thanks all.

Yea, it's bad. Up close it's pretty obvious there is no way any amount of suction is gonna pull that out.

Hey Cameraon, I took it up to Kezian's and got the estimate there, and am planning on having it fixed a couple of weeks from now. I'm pretty sure the stripe kit is going to be the whole LH side of the car, so I'll have the L-Front Fender and Door stripe kit to tuck away...and home I NEVER need.

I thought about the possibility of it being deliberate. Man, I hate to think anybodty would be that way. I was parked way out in west BF of the parking lot, only taking up one space, under a light. The alternative is an adult that is just plum-STUPID, or a kid that kicked a car door open.

So long as it looks factory new when it's done, I'm good with the price.

I do wish I would have known that calling the police and having a police report would have put it under uninsured motorist coverage (with a deductable of only $250 and would not have raised my rates) though. Per my ins co,, this kind of thing used to be covered under comprehansive (big $500 deductable, but no increase in premiums) but people were abusing it. I.E.-Insurance Fraud, to get somehing covered under insurance/comprehensive (and thus no increase in premiums) that was actually a result of a collision, so now without a police report, it falls under collision. Sounds like a broad stroke to CYA when it's pretty obviouos to any adjuster that this was no "collision"

Trying to look on the bright side (like there is one), gave me an excuse to order some more Zanio products!

Thanks. Because it is in the edge/crease, no way to pull it out right. So body shop and painting the whole QP

Based on the dent "door ding" that happened to my DD today $1227.00, I would say your price looks about right.

The guy that hit my car was honest, left a note with all the needed info including the number to his insurance. It was very windy here today and his trucks door flew open and smacked the *#&* out of my car. There are some honest people that practice what they preach, man was I lucky about who hit me.

Don't you just love the insurance industry, we have it because we are required too but we don't use it because they'll jack our premiums!!! F*ckers!!, no wonder our banks got into that industry, it makes a ton of money. You guys should walk the floors of my building where you see posters saying...........: " Think Higher Premiums "

I got a small dent in my rear bumper cover about 2 years ago did not know who did it I have grundy ins no police report at all I called grundy they sent a man to write a est and told me to get it repaired any where I wanted and if the body shop needed more than the est. was to have them call them got a new bumper cover and stripes from ford had the best body shop in town do the repair I can not tell it at all .GRUNDY PAID 100 % OF REPAIR then they called me to make sure I was happy with repairs I have never been treated like that by a ins .co before. you might want check them out . I am very hard to please when it come to body work I have built and painted high quality show cars in my younger days 428cj

Probably not an accident because of where you were parked, I would see if the parking lot is under video surveilance, worth checking. Good luck with the repair.

why cant you still not get a police report? go to the parking lot and call the police tonight!

I was at a hotel for a car show in Pensacola, and am back home now. So would be a bit of a drive to head back.

I now know to get a police report for that kind of thing, and have a good reference for where I'm getting the repair done, so as long as it's a perfect match and looks factory, I'm good with it.

One of life's...learning experiences

I got a door ding in pretty much the same location on my right rear quarter panel while parked in a hotel parking lot. It was back in February in Valdosta for the "Pony Wars" event.

At any rate, a PDR guy was able to get it out in ~ 30 minutes, charged me $120 (IIRC). He went in through the hole at the top of the door frame where the rubber molding fits. It isn't suction, they use flat "spoons" to push the dent back out.

Seriously, I think your dent is fixable by a good PDR guy, just like mine was. Good luck!

I got a door ding in pretty much the same location on my right rear fender while parked in a hotel parking lot. It was back in February in Valdosta for the "Pony Wars" event.

At any rate, a PDR guy was able to get it out in ~ 30 minutes, charged me $120 (IIRC). He went in through the hole at the top of the door frame where the rubber molding fits. It isn't suction, they use flat "spoons" to push the dent back out.

Seriously, I think your dent is fixable by a good PDR guy, just like mine was. Good luck!

Humm...with it being the left rear quarter panel I did not see any obvious way to slip anything in there, and assumed they were all suction kinds of devices. There is a white spot (assuming a paint chip, not paint transfer based on how hard the clam needed to be to make a dent like that) in the middle of the dig that I found it really tough to catch in a pic.. Assuming if there is a way to push the dent out, I have my doubts on how that could be touched up and have it match?

Well, It can't hurt to get an opinion. Anybody out there know a good PDR place in the Atlanta area?

I've surfed a bit, but a listing does not make a top notch place to take it.

Humm...with it being the left rear quarter panel I did not see any obvious way to slip anything in there, and assumed they were all suction kinds of devices. There is a white spot (assuming a paint chip, not paint transfer based on how hard the clam needed to be to make a dent like that) in the middle of the dig that I found it really tough to catch in a pic.. Assuming if there is a way to push the dent out, I have my doubts on how that could be touched up and have it match?

Well, It can't hurt to get an opinion. Anybody out there know a good PDR place in the Atlanta area?

Hi Skiph,

Great Looking Car!

Not sure where you are, but if you're interested, there's a super paint & body shop in Gainesville; Lester's Paint & Body - (770)534-5322 (Not Lester Brothers)

We keep them on "Speed Dial"! :hysterical:

I don't know if they have a PDR guy, but you might give them a call to see. They are a State Farm "Preferred" repair shop but I would use them regardless because they are good!

Also, I agree with getting a police report after the fact. If you had called them at the time the report would be based solely on your statement as it would be now. Give them a call, you may get lucky and get a sympathetic officer that will make you a report and mail it to you.

For future reference consider changing Insurance Companies or at least agents. Some are more "Customer Oriented" than others. I figure there are less expensive companies than State Farm, but I have found them reliable for over forty years.

Good Luck!

I had my doudts with PDR as well, but it works. But like I said, if they cannot access the area through an opening in the under body they will drill a hole to access the back side of the dent. I see it as a trade off; weaken the metal with heat to shrink the area back into shape and then body filler, and repainted (which will be softer then the original paint) I could live with a hole that if it realy came down to it could be filled, and would always be hidden.

The OEM paint is tough so it's possible it's just scuff in the clear or paint transfer. If is is chipped, that sucks but can be matched. I would have whoever does the repaint, repaint the entire quarter so there is no worry of fading in the color to the OEM paint.

I just had my rear bumper repainted by the dealer (I back into a brick wall and scratch the hell out of the bumper cover. :banghead:) and the color is a perfect match, in fact the clear looks better the OEM. Its still at the dealer to correct the stripes, but the dealer assured me they would buff the entire car to ensure the finish on the clear is consistant all over and matches the quality of the finish now on the bumper.

Good luck.

Thanks Grabber and all.

Yea, the place that scoped the repairs came highly recommended, will be painting the entire Left Rear Quarter Panel, removing the window so there is no visable demark line there, then clearcoat, then new stripe. Pretty sure the I'll have the right fender and door part of the stripe kit left over. Hoping I NEVER need those.

Archived