TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why I Drive My Shelby Every Day

Mustang DAN

As the Shelby American website said, "some dreams last mere seconds", but my personal dream has lasted over 40 years. I'm a 59 year old health care professional, and the very proud owner of a 2008 Shelby GT coupe, CSM No: 1319. I was a pimply-faced adolescent in 1966, drooling over issues of Hot Rod, Road and Track, etc. , and my boyhood heroes were names like Shelby, Petty, Garlits, Foyt, Jones, Yeager, and Hoover, all men who flew or drove something. I still remember the Cobra-bodied slot cars that were my prized possessions in those days. In my adult years, I've owned several late model and vintage muscle cars, but the Shelby Mustangs always stuck in my memory as an ultimate "dream machine". I felt immediately when I took the wheel of a 2006 Mustang GT, that Ford had created a real retro winner. When I later learned that you could once again get real SHELBY Mustangs, I knew I had to have one!

Who would have thought that 40 years after my initial fascination, I could have a current SHELBY Mustang in my garage, and drive it every day! As the cover blurb on the latest issue of Shelby Driving Machines says, I "get my Shelby out and drive it"! I take obsessive care of the car, but I drive it to and from work, and everywhere else, every day. I did the same with a '69 Road Runner, '70 G.T.O., Buick Grand National, '95 Impala SS, and a '99 Camaro Z-28. Drove them rain or shine, then cleaned them up Friday night for car shows on Saturday. Luckily, I have covered parking at work and have the same "neighbors" on both sides every day, so no worry about door dings. Yes, there is risk in this, but if I've learned anything in this life, it's that there is some risk in every minute of every day. I simply love the look, feel, and sound of my Shelby! I have a rewarding career, but like anything worthwhile, it's not without some stress. At the end of a long day, most of my colleagues HAVE to drive home. I GET to drive home! That's the difference my Shelby makes in my life!shift.gifhappy%20feet.gif

The risk isn't that you might get a door ding, or might lose some re-sale/investment "value", or even that you'd have an accident and total the shelby.... the REAL risk, in my opinion, is that your time is up tomorrow, and you didn't enjoy every single second that you could in this life. Maybe that's because I don't really beleive there's an afterlife of anykind other than being worm food, but even if I did, I'd still want to take advantage of everything I could NOW :)

I drive the hell out of everything I've owned, and the SGT is no exception... bought last August, drove for about 3.5 months, put it away for the snow, just got it out 2 weeks ago, and I've put almost 7,000 miles on it since I bought it... I think that works out to be over 400 miles per week, and I've loved every mile!

The risk isn't that you might get a door ding, or might lose some re-sale/investment "value", or even that you'd have an accident and total the shelby.... the REAL risk, in my opinion, is that your time is up tomorrow, and you didn't enjoy every single second that you could in this life. Maybe that's because I don't really beleive there's an afterlife of anykind other than being worm food, but even if I did, I'd still want to take advantage of everything I could NOW :)

I drive the hell out of everything I've owned, and the SGT is no exception... bought last August, drove for about 3.5 months, put it away for the snow, just got it out 2 weeks ago, and I've put almost 7,000 miles on it since I bought it... I think that works out to be over 400 miles per week, and I've loved every mile!

+1 I don't drive it every day but I do have 18,000 miles on my car. What kills me is seeing all these low mile cars on ebay, and there are lot of them (SGT and GT500) even low a less than 1000 mi 08 Super Snake. Where the value has dropped big time and these guys paid tens of thousands of dollars for what? That got me thinking too of how short life can be. There is a guy at local area car shows that has a 1968 GT350 which he bought new and now has over 100,000 miles. He drives it to the shows, it looks great, and has a three thick photo albums full of pictures of his travels. I love listening to his stories and hope when I'm 68 years old I'm just like him!

:shift:

Yep, I drive mine every day when I'm home. My wife says I "find" excuses just to go for a drive.

A quick run to the Wal-mart 3 miles away is now a 45 minute drive, when I take the "Shelby Route".

I hear ya'! :hysterical2:

Conversation at my house:

Wife: "We"re running short of __________"

Me: "I'll go get some!"

Wife: "Do you really want to go all the way to town just for_______?"

Me: "That's OK, I don't mind!"

- An hour later. the cell phone rings -

Wife: "where are you. did you get lost?"

Me: " I'll be home in a minute"

I pulled mine out last night just to run into town just buy a lottery ticket. (I live about 8 miles out of town). Sure I had to make the pass up and down main street and past the High School Ball fields. Good thing the ball was not hit to left field, that player would have never seen it coming.

This was the first drive since last November. OOOOHHHH what a feeling. I HAD to pass two cars that were traveling just below the speed limit on the way home. This car really does feel good when you down sift and give it a "little" gas. :car:

The risk isn't that you might get a door ding, or might lose some re-sale/investment "value", or even that you'd have an accident and total the shelby.... the REAL risk, in my opinion, is that your time is up tomorrow, and you didn't enjoy every single second that you could in this life. Maybe that's because I don't really beleive there's an afterlife of anykind other than being worm food, but even if I did, I'd still want to take advantage of everything I could NOW smile.gif

Couldn't agree with you more, except that I DO believe in an afterlife. Glad to see there are others getting maximum enjoyment out of their Shelby's. I'm fortunate enough to live far enough south not to need to put cars away for the winter. I think I'd go nuts if I had to leave my Shelby in the garage for months at a time.

I commute 35 miles to work. The thing is....it's not a commute, it's an adventure ! :happy feet:

Just went over 33,000 miles !

I have mixed feelings about the low miles on these Shelby's, I think they need to be driven and often, granted I don't drive in the rain or snow, but every Friday I make a point of driving to work and during the week whenever I can, I bought mine for the pure enjoyment of the high performance and handling.

There are way to many of these built to appreciate in value dramatically, infact the value has dropped dramatically, I'm glad I waited until all the ADMs dropped off and ended up with a really special Shelby at a steal purchased brand new from the dealer becasue the gouging finally stopped after the economy went to crap..

I watch my neighbor back his Roush out each saturday and let it idle for about 15 minutes and pull it back in the garage. Now there are many owners smarter than me and I believe it actually hurts a car to just store them. My experience with storing fleet vehicles is it is hard on batteries and drive trains.

Life is too short, my kids are grown, I am paying off my debt and not charging anything, I haven't done very much for myself in 30 years of marriage, but trust me, I purchased the SGT/BJ putting down $20,000 so I wouold have a payment of around $250.00 just incase I decided to retire.

This car has also been a pain during the early ownership, poorly executed with Ford and Shelby most likely not doing enough research and product testing on the cosmetics, but to own a Shelby and I have had execellent after the sale customer service from Shelby every time I have called, I am satisfied.

There are some things that should have just been fixed (no questions asked) and that is stripes, lanyards, and scoops for three years and it should have been done in a timely manner bypassing Ford racing, there was a lot of early grief for many of us, but after you get the bugs out, they are a blast to own, not bashing Shelby, but early on there were some customer service issues/slow service and dealer incompetence that someone was responsible for in dropping the ball. Lack of instock parts is just not acceptable and I know they are trying.

Just my thoughts, but I say drive and enjoy, life is too short and can be over in the drop of a hat or a bad decision on the highway and then someone else will be driving your low mileage car laughing about what a good deal they got on it.

GG

I watch my neighbor back his Roush out each saturday and let it idle for about 15 minutes and pull it back in the garage.

It's almost as if he's taking care of it for someone else in the future to get all the fun and none of the depreciation. :finger:

I totally agree with GG and the rest of you guys that drive an enjoy your Shelby's. I have 2 and both of them are driven regularly.

9,127 miles on my 08 GT500 VERT

AND

3,202 on my 08 GT/SC with 1,500 miles driven on mt way back from SAI after getting the whipple 550 installed and that was the best breaking drive I have ever had. :happy feet:

So enjoy em while you can ; you never know when your time will be up in this life. :salute:

Scotty.

My dad passed away 3 years ago never having owned a mustang or a car of his dreams. He got me hooked on Shelbys and Mustangs, but ne never owned one. We went to the Steamboat Mustang Rally in 2006 and he decided he was going to try and find a 2004 Cobra. Being the good son I was always sending him links to cars I found for "him" on ebay or on the net. December 2006 he left this world unexpectedly, I returned to the Mustang Rally in 2007 and a few months later I bought my 2007 SGT. I had just started my business and it was not in the plan but I decided I was not going to wait to get one and then never get one. So drive it like you stole it, enjoy it pass it on to the younger generations and have fun. For the 1st five months after I brought her home she was my DD rain, sleet, snow etc. Now I drive her once maybe twice a week on nicer days in the spring, summer and fall then she gets a rest for the winter months.

Love every minute just wish the oldman could be here to enjoy it, but I am sharing it with my two boys. They know what a donut is (only in empty parking lots), burnouts and have been in the car at the track. Now they want to know who gets it when I die. Looks like I need to get two so they can each have one. :D

LOL, My wife said my kids have talked about who will get which car... I've told each of them though that if they put in the work to build something, that I will help them with money and labor to do it. I don't know that any of them will love cars like I do, but my dad taught me how to restore/repair them and if they want, i will teach them too. If not, they will get "normal" cars! Both boys have already helped me some on both the '68 (they were REALLY young though) and on the Jeep project they have bolted on suspension parts and block sanded some of the body panels for me, and also on the Jeep, my 5 year old daughter wanted to help too, so amongst other things, she was literally inside the dash starting the nuts on bolts and holding them with a wrench while I mounted the brake booster and other stuff that went thru the firewall... she made that an easy task for me! Of course there HAD to be lots of juice box breaks involved :)

It's almost as if he's taking care of it for someone else in the future to get all the fun and none of the depreciation. :finger:

I agree they are supposed to be driven, but once you go through the hassle and expense of trying to restore a classic car such as a Shelby, it becomes very easy to understand why some people don't drive them and others keep the miles low. I think you can have your cake and eat it too, but if you eat it all in the first years, well, it's gone.

You can ALWAYS bake another cake :)

You are correct. I try to do all my own work to my cars and that is half the fun but I am not a good painter and the price that people sell original classic parts for takes allot of it out of my price range.

It definitely adds up quick to do it right! I honestly lucked out big time in that my dad has been doing this since before I was born, so I've inherited a ton of tools and equipment that has kept my costs down a lot...

When we bought ours, we didn't buy it as an investment, we bought it

because we wanted to be able to enjoy it, and it was affordable.

We were so Happy we could buy a SHELBY!!!

They are meant to be enjoyed!!! :shift:

Even Carroll Shelby says to get out and enjoy them!

When we bought ours, we didn't buy it as an investment, we bought it

because we wanted to be able to enjoy it, and it was affordable.

We were so Happy we could buy a SHELBY!!!

They are meant to be enjoyed!!! shift.gif

Even Carroll Shelby says to get out and enjoy them!

Great to hear from folks enjoying their Shelby's.

Eat your hearts out "snow belters". Check south Texas version of Vista Blue!

post-26755-12703440181_thumb.jpg

post-26755-12703440181_thumb.jpg

Great to hear from folks enjoying their Shelby's.

Eat your hearts out "snow belters". Check south Texas version of Vista Blue!

The wildflowers are incredible this year !! Let's hear it for the national flower of Texas, the Bluebonnet ! :happy feet:

Archived