TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The truth about cars article (Shelby GT500)

The guy did make some LEGITIMATE points. Plus everybody has their own taste. I would agree that he definitely like imports. ACURA TL!! Sorry but I do not see how this can be brought up next to the name of GT500, not even the V6 Mustang. I love the GT500 and want one bad. But there are things that Ford does need to look into and change. .....cough cough...weight! That the interior is cheap blah blah is all bs. People buy this car for its looks, history and performance, etc. Not for luxury. These cars are selling for more than most BMWs and MBs..so I assume any GT500 owner, if they wanted luxury, would have just gotten those 2. What I have come to learn is that people will always enjoy talking TRASH when they have some sort of jealousy factor or a lack of understanding. The writer basically...doesnt know SH :censored:

Well, first off, it seems that his site is pretty much devoted to bashing every news story and vehicle he comes across, assuming that he can come up with a polysyllabic word to desecrate it.

But in regards to this particular story, it just sounds like he didn't know how to drive it, if he couldn't find a happy medium between shuddering violently and burning out endlessly when trying to accelerate from a start.

But, hey, what's the point of even analyzing it? He has an editorial on his page where another writer suggests that oil changes are an unnecessary waste.

That article had a link to the author's original review. After reading this part, I know why I was drawn to this car:

If you were to autopomorphize Jack Lambert, you’d wind up with a GT500, missing teeth and all.

Jack Lambert was my favorite football player of all time. Good enough for me.

Edit: Typo

Have to admit he's right about the suspension. Wrong about everything else. I wouldn't take two '07 TLs for mine. Even with its faults, it's the funnest car I've ever driven. It's a muscle car, not a sports car. And I quite like the interior. I think the seats are very comfortable.

But best of all, where I live there are hundreds of Vettes and Acuras and whatever else, but there is only one Shelby GT500 and it's mine.

Just an interesting note - the "1972" suspension that he disses is also found in the FR500c. It stomped many an imports IRS butt in the initial 2005 Grand Am cup season run on road courses. It would have done the same last year but they made the mustangs reduce their power to make them competitive. If it is good enough for the drivers whipping around road courses at 100+ it should be OK for me if I am at all skillful. Don't dis the solid axle setup especially when we are looking at you in the rear-view mirror. :rockon:

this guy is a champaign sipper. :baby:

this is a beer drinker's car ! :hysterical2:

I wonder how many of the Nay-sayers has a ride that can hang with the GT500 :ohsnap:

very few, i would argue!

BoneDoc No I don't think he is a champaign sipper. :baby: I think he's a white powder sniffer. :hysterical:

Champaign sippin, white powder sniffin, pole smokin', fudge packin' piece of sh*t of writer.

Anyhow, how many new vehicles clear out the county clerks office when you show up to license and register your car. I did this yesterday. I called ahead to see if my paper work had been sent from the dealership. When I arrived at the clerks office, they asked for my name. When I told them, they asked if I drove the car. When I said yes, the office literally cleared out to look at the Shelby.

Champaign sippin, white powder sniffin, pole smokin', fudge packin' piece of sh*t of writer.

Anyhow, how many new vehicles clear out the county clerks office when you show up to license and register your car. I did this yesterday. I called ahead to see if my paper work had been sent from the dealership. When I arrived at the clerks office, they asked for my name. When I told them, they asked if I drove the car. When I said yes, the office literally cleared out to look at the Shelby.

now THIS is the respect that our rides deserve!

We don't need no stinkin' writers. :rant:

badges.wav

Ok, I'll chime in here....

Cars, like most other things in life, are about compromises.

You want it fast? It ain't gonna be quiet.

You want it to corner? It ain't gonna ride soft.

You want a ton of money poured into an engine that's more powerful than the NASCAR engines 10 years ago? Then you have to save some money elsewhere in the car...like having a solid rear axle and a less than luxurious interior.

You want it to have a six speed trans? Then there ain't much room above the tunnel for deeper consoles or cup holders.

You want it to look good? Then you lose some visibility out the quarter windows.

Show me a Ferrari owner that complains about cockpit noise, poor fuel mileage, lack of trunk space, or visibility, and I'll show you someone who has more money than car knowledge.

Signed....a guy who LOVES the fact that the shifter boot on his '69 Camaro doesn't fit perfectly on the left side of the tunnel, so he feels engine heat coming up around the trim ring and warming his shifting hand in cool weather.

Dave out

badges.wav

Ok, I'll chime in here....

Cars, like most other things in life, are about compromises.

You want it fast? It ain't gonna be quiet.

You want it to corner? It ain't gonna ride soft.

You want a ton of money poured into an engine that's more powerful than the NASCAR engines 10 years ago? Then you have to save some money elsewhere in the car...like having a solid rear axle and a less than luxurious interior.

You want it to have a six speed trans? Then there ain't much room above the tunnel for deeper consoles or cup holders.

You want it to look good? Then you lose some visibility out the quarter windows.

Show me a Ferrari owner that complains about cockpit noise, poor fuel mileage, lack of trunk space, or visibility, and I'll show you someone who has more money than car knowledge.

Signed....a guy who LOVES the fact that the shifter boot on his '69 Camaro doesn't fit perfectly on the left side of the tunnel, so he feels engine heat coming up around the trim ring and warming his shifting hand in cool weather.

Dave out

That is a great example. There are 2 kind of drivers in my mind. One that you just described and the other that just wants to get from point A to point B as quietly, comfortably, and quickly as possible. Me, I am the guy you described who takes the long route to point B and burning rubber the whole way there, with the glorious aroma of burnt clutch and smoke. :)

When I hear my car, I dont not hear "noise" as the general public calls it, I hear each cylinder firing, the transmission whirring and vibrating into my shifter, and the hollow rumble from my chambered exhaust!

IMO :stats:

This is another writer trying to make this car what it was not designed to be...a high performance sophisticated Sport luxobarge like the two door Mercedes and Lexus’s. This car handles infinitely better than its predecessors, but just by nature of its body length to wheelbase length (car has no ass), frame width and geometry, weight balance, tire width, etc. it will "scuttle hop" (that's what I've titled it) in a turn driving over bumps, cracks, and washboards when the chassis is under load.

With the exception of doing some significant tweaking to the suspension and the chassis, the Shelby will not handle like a Corvette, Ferrari, or Porsche, unless Ford shoves the engine back about 2 feet, lowers the center of gravity, and brings IRS back. The other thing is that I suspect that most of these writers have never owned an American Muscle Car, and as a result really don't understand the handling and acceleration dynamics of those types of cars.

Frankly, it seems to me that this writer does not have an original thought to take a different angle writing about the Shelby, and he has just taken the L.A. Times article that was out a few weeks ago and just rehashed what that writer said about the car. On the other hand, if that's all that two seperate writers can complain about the car, maybe that says allot about the quality of the car.

Just another :stats: hack writer.

"Finesse is for people who aren’t willing to risk their childrens' future to experience a few moments of high horsepower hoonery. Fine. But include me out."

Well, Im in good shape then, I got no kids lol! :hysterical2: I LIKE high horsepower hoonery. :happy feet: Thats why Im buying a Shelby... :baby:

This guy doesnt "get" the car. Hes right about the freaking beancounters though, they are a problem. IRS would be nice, ya ya, but Im dam glad Ford built this car, solid axel or not. :hyper:

KC666

I'm a writer.

This guy thinks he's writing for a specific audience (at least he should be).

Apparently, he feels his audience is not Shelby - or Mustang - people.

I love pulling up to Audis and Beemers and Jags at stoplights - and just looking over at them with a smile. They never - ever- engage me.

Rock and Roll Mustangs. :hysterical2:

How many of you read all the replies on this Article? I detected some disrespectful comments aimed at Carroll Shelby. Not cool, didn't Carroll Shelby design a Car known as the AC Cobra that maintained record stats for accleration and braking over any production car ever? Not to mention complete Domination on race tracks.

So This Writer Robert Fago writes about the safety of the GT 500. Hey Robert, this car has 500 HP, what car with 500 HP is safe? Last summer, Malibu CA, A 1 Million Dollar Ferrari traveling 120 MPH on Pacific Coast Highway hit a bump in the road and ended up in two peices after hitting a pole. Ferrari, Porsche,Vette or BMW. It doesn't really matter, It is all about the Driver and Respect for the equiptment. I own a GT 500 and I love it. About a month ago I took my GT 500 for a early Sunday morning drive through Decker Canyon here in Malibu, CA only to be chased through the Canyon by a late modle M-3 BMW. It was very fun and the GT 500 Kept that M-3 in my rear veiw mirror all the way through the Canyon, and yeah on the straight aways the M-3 got real small in my rear veiw mirror. At the end of the Canyon the guy pulled up next to me and was all thumbs up.

So in a nut shell with my 34 years of driving experience and my 4 months of owning a GT 500 I will tell you this Car will run with the best. Yeah sure it may not be as tame, or as fago put it, finesse. It is a huge Honor to own a Car that has the name Shelby on it. :shift:

I'm a writer.

This guy thinks he's writing for a specific audience (at least he should be).

Apparently, he feels his audience is not Shelby - or Mustang - people.

I love pulling up to Audis and Beemers and Jags at stoplights - and just looking over at them with a smile. They never - ever- engage me.

Rock and Roll Mustangs. :hysterical2:

You go rufdraft, we should call you the INTIMIDATOR

"Finesse is for people who aren’t willing to risk their childrens' future to experience a few moments of high horsepower hoonery. Fine. But include me out."

Well, Im in good shape then, I got no kids lol! :hysterical2: I LIKE high horsepower hoonery. :happy feet: Thats why Im buying a Shelby... :baby:

This guy doesnt "get" the car. Hes right about the freaking beancounters though, they are a problem. IRS would be nice, ya ya, but Im dam glad Ford built this car, solid axel or not. :hyper:

KC666

IRS? Come on....really? :ohsnap:

How many of you read all the replies on this Article? I detected some disrespectful comments aimed at Carroll Shelby. Not cool, didn't Carroll Shelby design a Car known as the AC Cobra that maintained record stats for accleration and braking over any production car ever? Not to mention complete Domination on race tracks.

So This Writer Robert Fago writes about the safety of the GT 500. Hey Robert, this car has 500 HP, what car with 500 HP is safe? Last summer, Malibu CA, A 1 Million Dollar Ferrari traveling 120 MPH on Pacific Coast Highway hit a bump in the road and ended up in two peices after hitting a pole. Ferrari, Porsche,Vette or BMW. It doesn't really matter, It is all about the Driver and Respect for the equiptment. I own a GT 500 and I love it. About a month ago I took my GT 500 for a early Sunday morning drive through Decker Canyon here in Malibu, CA only to be chased through the Canyon by a late modle M-3 BMW. It was very fun and the GT 500 Kept that M-3 in my rear veiw mirror all the way through the Canyon, and yeah on the straight aways the M-3 got real small in my rear veiw mirror. At the end of the Canyon the guy pulled up next to me and was all thumbs up.

So in a nut shell with my 34 years of driving experience and my 4 months of owning a GT 500 I will tell you this Car will run with the best. Yeah sure it may not be as tame, or as fago put it, finesse. It is a huge Honor to own a Car that has the name Shelby on it. :shift:

Farago, you suck the big one. Is this what you call writing editorials. You just wish you had the money to spend on a brand new Shelby GT-500 …one of the best, fastest torque cars to come out of Detroit. I will loan you the money you jealous son of a b***h! You obviously aren’t a real man and really don’t know your cars. Were you the dork who always sat in the back of class kissing the teacher’s ass. I suggest you do some reading or better yet go for ride with me and I’ll show you how to get out of your whimmpy “look at me” beamer which are made for people who don’t know how to race a car. I call them SOFT people. Better yet go buy yourself a caddy with all of the controls that will give your light ass a smooth ride and no work…you jealous whimp boy….Racing is an art, a workout and the Shelby is that street legal race car made for real men!

I’ve missed something here the GT-500 will outperform the snot out of any porsche, beamer, Zo6 and the Viper. It’s been documented. I think you whimpy little boys better get yourselves behind the wheel of the Shelby and don’t forget to bring a couple of pairs of depends…you dorks. BTW if practicing law is crusty then I guess I and most of our entire Congress and Judicial system are crusty too…you whimps

Archived