TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hood pin lanyards

They are just attached under the radiator cover by a rivet...you can drill it out carefully and remove them if you want to....I'm on my fourth set of lanyards and they keep discoloring even though my car is in the garage except for when I'm driving her....would love to find some way top prevent the outter cover from discoloring....almost looks rusty, but it isn't....

Easy enough to just drill out the center of the rivits-

When I installed my warranty replacement lanyards I used stainless screws instead of rivits to make any future lanyard replacement even easier..

Ya the will rub on the paint and leave rub marks and they turn black. I will get some pics as soon as I figure out how to make them that small to up load its making me mad.

You can resize them using microsoft Paint. You can "save as" if you want to rename the pic and not replace the original huge one.

I have not had any lanyard / hood pin issues either, but that may only be because its garaged, never driven in bad weather and only has 5700 miles on her :hysterical:

Ya the will rub on the paint and leave rub marks and they turn black. I will get some pics as soon as I figure out how to make them that small to up load its making me mad.

If you're having problems i suspect they are improperly placed. We've discussed this in the past.

in my experience, after three years of ownership and looking at more than a 100 other SGTs over the years, if the pins are inserted properly, facing the right direction, with the pins secure and tight, having enough play but not too much play, you will have no issues with paint. 18,000 miles, three years, of highway driving here, and not a mark anywhere on my hood.

That said I see lots of SGTs with 12" of lanyard hanging out, no lie, or the lanyards pulled in tight against the paint. I see pins inserted backwards or flopping around moving side to side because the hood rubber stand-offs are misaligned and more.

I love the look of the pins and lanyards, and again have no paint issues or marks anywhere, but when I have I have also found one of the above issues. IMHO!

If you're having problems i suspect they are improperly placed. We've discussed this in the past.

in my experience, after three years of ownership and looking at more than a 100 other SGTs over the years, if the pins are inserted properly, facing the right direction, with the pins secure and tight, having enough play but not too much play, you will have no issues with paint. 18,000 miles, three years, of highway driving here, and not a mark anywhere on my hood.

That said I see lots of SGTs with 12" of lanyard hanging out, no lie, or the lanyards pulled in tight against the paint. I see pins inserted backwards or flopping around moving side to side because the hood rubber stand-offs are misaligned and more.

I love the look of the pins and lanyards, and again have no paint issues or marks anywhere, but when I have I have also found one of the above issues. IMHO!

Pictures of proper installation?

Pictures of proper installation?

I will post some in a few weeks when I get home and can take some close up pictures. In the mean time step one is to adjust your hood stand-offs such that you need to apply some downward pressure on the hood to near the pin to slide it in. When you stop applying the pressure the pins stay nice and tight with little to no sliding back and forth. That's step one.

I'm on my second set. When the first began to discolor so I tucked them under the hood as suggested and purchased a set of pin from Lowes ($1.50?) and used those which were better quality. My second set, replaced last fall, have held up all winter and it's a daily driver. I found a way to twist the lanyards that keep them from touching the piant. I may have photo in my profile gallery.

I'll post some photos of how I latch my pins so the lanyards do not touch the paint but it will have to wait a week. The SGT is in the shop for hoodstripes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my second set. When the first began to discolor so I tucked them under the hood as suggested and purchased a set of pin from Lowes ($1.50?) and used those which were better quality. My second set, replaced last fall, have held up all winter and it's a daily driver. I found a way to twist the lanyards that keep them from touching the piant. I may have photo in my profile gallery.

I'll post some photos of how I latch my pins so the lanyards do not touch the paint but it will have to wait a week. The SGT is in the shop for hoodstripes.

Did a little lanyard work today....Got tired of looking at them, so I took them off and used a razor blade to peel the discolored plastic cover off of them...once the covers were removed, I used a piece of steel wool to remove any further adhesive or plastic that remained...then I took a can of Duplicolor Automotive Clear Coat and sprayed the cables. I did a couple of coats of the clear on them just to protect them...This is the same stuff I've used on my center caps on my wheels and they have not discolored in any way....The clear plastic covers over the swivels near the pins were torn so I used some black heat shrink to make some new swivel covers and then reinstalled everything with new rivets...We'll see how long they last like this....hopefully will do better than the rusty looking plastic...

A few pics...

post-19184-127155964151_thumb.jpg

post-19184-127155965044_thumb.jpg

Oh Yeah, also took the dremel tool with a polishing wheel and some jewelers rouge to the hood pin tops too....they had some marks on them from people popping the hood without pulling the pins before I bought the car....also cleaned the letter area and used some Vista Blue touch up paint to fill them in again...

post-19184-127155964151_thumb.jpg

post-19184-127155965044_thumb.jpg

Archived