TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Kicker upgrade package

2nd2none

Right side of the trunk as you're looking at it from the back. It's under the rug, I believe it runs along the wiring with the taillight wires. It's a rather large adapter in about the location where the sub would mount. I meant to take a picture of it tonight while cleaning my car but just didn't get around to it.

Is it black? Does it have five wires going to it:black, grey/violet, brown/blue, green/red, and white/blue? If so that's it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like that what it is...here's a couple pics.

gallery_25406_1144_93793.jpg

gallery_25406_1144_2358.jpg

That's it. Wiring is as follows:

Grey/Violet:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER ENALBLE/MUTE (NOT a simple 12 volt signal to turn on an amp. A variable voltage which turns on the amp and which the audio control module uses to sense overload)

Green/Red:FUSE - 20 OR CIRCUIT BREAKER (Battery plus through fuse 20. Hot at all times)

Black:GROUND - DECKLID RIGHT (Ground)

Brown/Blue:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER AUDIO + (Subwoofer +)

White/Blue:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER AUDIO - (Subwoofer -)

Now, the bigger question is why do you have that and I don't? I looked last night. It's not there. Reading back, I see you state you have the Shaker 500. I believe all GT500s have Shaker 500 or 1000. Is yours Nav or non-Nav Shaker 500? I'm guessing non-Nav, which is why you have it. If you found someone with a 2010 Shaker 1000, it would be interesting to plug in their subwoofer and see if it works.

That's it. Wiring is as follows:

Grey/Violet:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER ENALBLE/MUTE (NOT a simple 12 volt signal to turn on an amp. A variable voltage which turns on the amp and which the audio control module uses to sense overload)

Green/Red:FUSE - 20 OR CIRCUIT BREAKER (Battery plus through fuse 20. Hot at all times)

Black:GROUND - DECKLID RIGHT (Ground)

Brown/Blue:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER AUDIO + (Subwoofer +)

White/Blue:CTRL MOD. - AUDIO # SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER AUDIO - (Subwoofer -)

Now, the bigger question is why do you have that and I don't? I looked last night. It's not there. Reading back, I see you state you have the Shaker 500. I believe all GT500s have Shaker 500 or 1000. Is yours Nav or non-Nav Shaker 500? I'm guessing non-Nav, which is why you have it. If you found someone with a 2010 Shaker 1000, it would be interesting to plug in their subwoofer and see if it works.

Thanks - I have the shaker500 without NAV. I would think that it would work by simply plugging in the sub then. I think I'd be happy with the shaker sub...be nice to add some bass to the music. Maybe a cheap one will pop up on ebay.

Thanks - I have the shaker500 without NAV. I would think that it would work by simply plugging in the sub then. I think I'd be happy with the shaker sub...be nice to add some bass to the music. Maybe a cheap one will pop up on ebay.

Well, at least now I don't feel slighted! I think you're probably right about plugging in a Shaker 1000 rear sub. I just got the Kicker rear sub and will post results after I get it installed.

Well, at least now I don't feel slighted! I think you're probably right about plugging in a Shaker 1000 rear sub. I just got the Kicker rear sub and will post results after I get it installed.

Looking forward to your review of the kicker sub.

Still looking like I might just get some pioneer 6x8's...but unfortunately they are out of stock at crutchfield...HA! Seems like the case with most things Shelby audio related. I wanted to get them through Crutchfield to get the speaker adapter cable. sigh...no biggie, just more waiting. More important things to truly "worry" about.

mrl859 - would you be able to post the speaker details on the kicker 6x8's? Don't know if they have them listed on the box they came in?

I might just grab the 6x8 KS680 model from somewhere else for the front door speakers. They can be had for about $40 cheaper than the Shelby store ones. Just wondering how the specs look compared to the regular KS680 model. Here's the specs of the KS680 set:

* 2-way 6"x8" speakers

* polypropylene woofer cone with Santoprene™ surround

* 3/4" Kaladex dome tweeter

* power range: 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power)

* frequency response: 45-21,000 Hz

* sensitivity: 90 dB

* top-mount depth: 2-3/8"

mrl859 - would you be able to post the speaker details on the kicker 6x8's? Don't know if they have them listed on the box they came in?

I might just grab the 6x8 KS680 model from somewhere else for the front door speakers. They can be had for about $40 cheaper than the Shelby store ones. Just wondering how the specs look compared to the regular KS680 model. Here's the specs of the KS680 set:

* 2-way 6"x8" speakers

* polypropylene woofer cone with Santoprene™ surround

* 3/4" Kaladex dome tweeter

* power range: 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power)

* frequency response: 45-21,000 Hz

* sensitivity: 90 dB

* top-mount depth: 2-3/8"

No spec sheet, just installation instructions. Check the Shelby store's site? They come in generic boxes, like oem computer parts.

Okay...I kind of figured that was the case. Thanks for checking.

I love these. I put them in my last two cars and now in my GT500. Got them at millionbuy.com Go to the Polk web site and check out the specs. They have a separate crossover which you have to mount inside the door (very easy) The sound with all four is awesome, great mids and highs with very good bass also.

Good luck.

POLK AUDIO MM571 PLKMM571 2 99.95 2 in a box so $200 plus shipping for all 4

I'm just trying to replicate the sound I had in my SRT8 Charger with the factory Kicker system. Without a Kicker amp and it's crossovers, I'm probably not gonna' get there. I also like the plug and play aspect of the 6x8s. Besides which, if it says Shelby on the box, I gotta' have it!

I love these. I put them in my last two cars and now in my GT500. Got them at millionbuy.com Go to the Polk web site and check out the specs. They have a separate crossover which you have to mount inside the door (very easy) The sound with all four is awesome, great mids and highs with very good bass also.

Good luck.

Never having heard the Polks, the Kicker/Shelby 6x8s are great! I just wish I could get more mid bass (punch) out of the 8" sub. Anybody's 8" sub. If I crank the bass all the way up I can get it, but then it's so boomy it's terrible.

Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion on the Polks. I had only one set of Polk brand speakers..but that was so many years ago. I think that they were 3 1/2 inch sizes for dash mount - I don't remember much about the sound...but I remember that they had a super heavy magnet in them compared to just about any other speakers I had.

I'm just trying to replicate the sound I had in my SRT8 Charger with the factory Kicker system. Without a Kicker amp and it's crossovers, I'm probably not gonna' get there. I also like the plug and play aspect of the 6x8s. Besides which, if it says Shelby on the box, I gotta' have it!

I'm trying to get to where the Mach460 system was at in terms of sound. Never thought I'd be saying that. The shaker system is several steps down in terms of sound quality.

I'm looking for clearer highs and more low tones - I don't really need to have something "louder". Just better quality is my goal.

I'm trying to get to where the Mach460 system was at in terms of sound. Never thought I'd be saying that. The shaker system is several steps down in terms of sound quality.

I'm looking for clearer highs and more low tones - I don't really need to have something "louder". Just better quality is my goal.

IMO, get the Kicker 6x8s for the clearer highs. I think they are crystal clear. By more lows, do you mean like a bass guitar, what I call the "boom".

IMO, get the Kicker 6x8s for the clearer highs. I think they are crystal clear. By more lows, do you mean like a bass guitar, what I call the "boom".

I guess I might try the KS680's then. I'll probably just get one set for installation in the doors and see how I like them. I'm just trying to fill out the sound spectrum...I guess. There's just so much missing from the high frequencies and the bottom. So...yeah...looking for some sound "punch" from the bass guitar and bass drums.

I guess I might try the KS680's then. I'll probably just get one set for installation in the doors and see how I like them. I'm just trying to fill out the sound spectrum...I guess. There's just so much missing from the high frequencies and the bottom. So...yeah...looking for some sound "punch" from the bass guitar and bass drums.

That's what I'm asking. Are you looking for the "thump" of a bass drum, or the "boom" of a bass guitar? To me they are too completely different frequencies/tones.

That's what I'm asking. Are you looking for the "thump" of a bass drum, or the "boom" of a bass guitar? To me they are too completely different frequencies/tones.

I'm looking for both - I would say. Just want the full range of sound. As it is now...I feel like I'm listening to an AM radio.

Installed the Kicker/Shelby trunk sub. WOW!!!!!! It has tight hard bass! It has none of the drone I was fighting. Great fit, great directions, great wiring! The bass is felt more than heard. I would recommend this to anyone. It made a world of difference. Again, using my Kicker setup in my SRT8 as a goal, I reinstalled one of the Kicker/Shelby 8" subs in hopes of having all Kicker speakers. It still has no midrange. For now, I'm sticking with Kicker/Shelby 6x8s, Shelby/Kicker rear sub and stock 8".I'm going to call Kicker for possible recommendations for 8" door mids or mid bass. I'm not sure what I need, but I know I'm getting there. Five stars for the rear sub!

Installed the Kicker/Shelby trunk sub. WOW!!!!!! It has tight hard bass! It has none of the drone I was fighting. Great fit, great directions, great wiring! The bass is felt more than heard. I would recommend this to anyone. It made a world of difference. Again, using my Kicker setup in my SRT8 as a goal, I reinstalled one of the Kicker/Shelby 8" subs in hopes of having all Kicker speakers. It still has no midrange. For now, I'm sticking with Kicker/Shelby 6x8s, Shelby/Kicker rear sub and stock 8".I'm going to call Kicker for possible recommendations for 8" door mids or mid bass. I'm not sure what I need, but I know I'm getting there. Five stars for the rear sub!

Sounds to me like what I'm looking for too - that really tight and hard bass.

Forgive me...but I'm trying to understand why you are trying to get midrange out of the door subs? I thought they were there to create low range to complement the 6x8 coaxial (mid/highs) 2 ways so that you theoretically have the complete sound stage to the right and left of you?

I'm not exactly sure how to describe what I want. The stock door subs seem to go fairly high up, or at least higher thsn the Kickers. I have no ability to measure it. The Kicker 8" subs leave a void, imo. They also are much quieter, probably due to the impedance difference of the speakers and the dual voice coil nature of the stock ones. Unfortunately, I don't really understand either of these, technologically speaking. I can only tell you the sound is fuller with the Kicker 6x8s and stock subs. The Kicker rear sub provides the deep bass that you feel without the unpleasant boominess. Again, imo. With the 4.1 amp, which I think fits your car, it may be a completely different ball game.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe what I want. The stock door subs seem to go fairly high up, or at least higher thsn the Kickers. I have no ability to measure it. The Kicker 8" subs leave a void, imo. They also are much quieter, probably due to the impedance difference of the speakers and the dual voice coil nature of the stock ones. Unfortunately, I don't really understand either of these, technologically speaking. I can only tell you the sound is fuller with the Kicker 6x8s and stock subs. The Kicker rear sub provides the deep bass that you feel without the unpleasant boominess. Again, imo. With the 4.1 amp, which I think fits your car, it may be a completely different ball game.

I think you are right about the 4.1 amp. From what I have read, the amp massages the signals to both the sub amps and the other speakers using the DSP and built in cross overs so it is a big part of the equation for the Shelby system. Without it I can see how the Kicker 8" subs might not be a good match for the stock unit.

thanks for the suggestion on the Polks. I had only one set of Polk brand speakers..but that was so many years ago. I think that they were 3 1/2 inch sizes for dash mount - I don't remember much about the sound...but I remember that they had a super heavy magnet in them compared to just about any other speakers I had.

Thats funny because these Polks us a new technology which doesnt have a HUGE magnet. In fact it use this:

Neodymium Magnets a rare earth metal offering exceptional strength to performance ratio, found only in the most exotic speakers, saves tremendous weight. Don’t let the sound system weigh your vehicle down. Since the magnet is smaller, the speaker can fit into more applications.

And the specs are : 38 to 25K so very wide range with great bass mids and highs. (sep crossover really helps here)

90 Watts Contin and 200W peak with 92 DB effeciency <(very important and very good number for car speaers)

How was the wiring? did it plug in to the back of the head or where? And did you have to run a separate power wire out to the battery? Thanks, glad you like the tighter bass.

How was the wiring? did it plug in to the back of the head or where? And did you have to run a separate power wire out to the battery? Thanks, glad you like the tighter bass.

It comes with a wiring harness that attaches to the underhood fuse box. It's a very well done harness. I chose to attach to a wire inside the vehicle that I had already tapped into for my Kenwood sub. I would recommend routing it per their directions. The signal input is acheived by solderless t splices into the right channel door subwoofer wiring. If you have a car that is compatible with the Kicker 4.1 amp, it plugs directly into that. Regarding that, I spoke to an OEM engineer at Kicker. They have developed an amp solution for the 2010 Shaker 500 WITH nav. It exists. It has not, however, been approved for production and may not be due to comparitively low demand. I believe that I can make the current 4.1 amp work with my 2010 with nav and plan on trying it as soon as they become available again. According to the enginner at Kicker, even if it does work, it won't sound as good as their solution. But since right now it's vaporware, I believe my solution will sound better than what I have now. If it works. He also recommended some Kicker aftermarket amps, but I don't want to start with all that.

• 3 weeks later...

After much comparing and researching....I ended up getting the KS680s from Kicker. Got them at about $61 a pair. Good deal. Should be here in a few days. Depending on time and the weather..I'm hoping to at least get the front door ones installed this weekend..and then....ugh, the dreaded rear deck next week. My plans are clear now - After these speakers...I'm going to get the Shelby Kicker Sub and then the Shelby kicker amp. Then, I'll call it a day. I don't think I'm going to get the door subs if they don't seem any better than the stock ones.

I'll post back my review of the new speakers.

Archived