TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WTB... what to watch for?

Lawrence

N00b's first post.... I am looking for a convertible and I am not that knowledgeable about them. So, are there any issues to watch for (saw the clutch in the sticky section)? Any particular year over another, perhaps even the 2010? Are there any tricks you guys know to tell if the vehicle has been raced/abused? etc... Besides here, any other good sites for finding such vehicle?

Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, I used the search and nothing came up. Any information is greatly appreciated, even if it is the "just buy any of them and enjoy" response. :shift:

Generally, the convertibles do not have any more problems than the coupes do with the exception that the top fabric has a wear issue that appears as white (or silver depending on who you talk to) wear marks in the fabric itself.

There ia a TSB (technicial service bulletin) issued by Ford for the convertible top, but that does not mean that a dealer will automatically replace the top in it's entirety. As far as the other issue with the 2007-early 2009 GT500's, they have a clutch problem that stems from a poorly designed flywheel. Ford also has a TSB out for this problem too, but they are now taking a hard line stance with repairing clutches under the TSB. You might have to fight to get the clutch replaced, so I recommend that you insist that your selling dealer proves that the TSB has been done on the car before you ink the deal on it.

There are some other "niggly" issues with the car (squeaks, rattles, etc.) but the car in general is a wonderful car that will give you miles and miles of smiles when you drive it.

There is a member here ("cobra scotty") that wants to sell his 2007 convertible, so you might want to consider his car.

Generally, the convertibles do not have any more problems than the coupes do with the exception that the top fabric has a wear issue that appears as white (or silver depending on who you talk to) wear marks in the fabric itself.

I remember reading about it. Any idea if/when it was corrected?

You might have to fight to get the clutch replaced, so I recommend that you insist that your selling dealer proves that the TSB has been done on the car before you ink the deal on it.

Good advice, thank you. Perhaps I can also ask for the top TSB as well.

There are some other "niggly" issues with the car (squeaks, rattles, etc.)

Great, it can keep company to my wife's BMW. :D Since I don't have great expectations in that department, I won't be disappointed. ;)

but the car in general is a wonderful car that will give you miles and miles of smiles when you drive it.

That's the idea for wanting one... It will be the "fun car" for Spring/Summer/Fall.

I have a 2007 Grabber Orange GT500 Convertible

One owner with 21K miles

If you would like pictures let me know

Never seen a Grabber Orange in person, so I am not sure what to think. Depends on the price I guess.

Bought my 07 convertible in August of 08. Could not be happier. I had clutch TSB done at about 9000 miles, still shudders on take off unless you tach it up and launch (which is fun too). Other than a very difficult to correct rattle in the A-pillar (had TSB done on it too, still rattles), it's all good. I've got a little over 16k on the clock now, including several week-long vacation trips. There's nothing like it. I shopped specifically for a convertible and very glad I bought this over the Shelby GT. I think we would not have enjoyed the "performance handling" of the SGT vs the GT 500. Mine is still stone stock and will probably remain that way, but if you're into "modding" (we used to call it souping it up) the car, it's very easy to change this beast into a monster! Have fun and enjoy!

I had clutch TSB done [...] rattle in the A-pillar (had TSB done on it too, still rattles)

Yikes, is there a TSB for every part on this vehicle? neck.gif Actually I would be interested to know of all the TSBs out there, you guys know of a comprehensive list?

I will keep the car stock, never been a fan of modding for fear of decreased reliability. Perhaps a few styling enhancements, but that's it.

Yikes, is there a TSB for every part on this vehicle? neck.gif Actually I would be interested to know of all the TSBs out there, you guys know of a comprehensive list?

Yes, a detailed list would be useful as I have to get my car to the Ford dealership before my warranty runs out and would like to arrive with a list.

One other Item that has been reported is that on some cars a slight "tweak" or "buckle" may develop on the rear quarter panels sometimes only on one side, sometimes slight, sometimes pronounced but obviously a problem nonetheless. Sight down the car from the back in a well lit area to see if you can see it.

Obviously there are no TSB's for this and as far as I know the cause hasn't been definitively determined but there are many theories; personally, I think they may have been caused by the car being improperly loaded on a "frame lift" style car lift when maintenance is being performed on the car at the shop.

Archived