TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Intake Elbows

The SGT seemed a little "off" lately. Running good, but not great, and maybe a hint of a hesitation here and there. I discovered the problem when I cracked the hood open this morning.

I think this has already been posted, but just in case, here's a reminder:

If you've replaced the stock intake tube with an aftermarket Steeda or other elbow, make sure to regularly check the clamps that hold it into place! Mine had worked loose and were allowing unfiltered air into the engine, thus screwing up the MAF sensor and causing the car to run less than stellar.

Think I will add this to my list of "gas station" items...

Sam

The SGT seemed a little "off" lately. Running good, but not great, and maybe a hint of a hesitation here and there. I discovered the problem when I cracked the hood open this morning.

I think this has already been posted, but just in case, here's a reminder:

If you've replaced the stock intake tube with an aftermarket Steeda or other elbow, make sure to regularly check the clamps that hold it into place! Mine had worked loose and were allowing unfiltered air into the engine, thus screwing up the MAF sensor and causing the car to run less than stellar.

Think I will add this to my list of "gas station" items...

Sam

Sam

do you have the steeda intake elbow?

its on my to do list and want to get as much input on this as possible before purchasing...

Laurence

Before I supercharged my GT, I had the Steeda elbow on my CAI. I'm sorry to say that I had a lot of trouble with it. Mine was the gray plastic one and it came off twice. I talked to Steeda and they told me it was critical to install it in the order that they specified. I did and it didn't come loose at the throttle body any more. Unfortunately, instead it just cracked open a little before the throttle body connection. They offered to replace it but I went with the supercharger and a new CAI that came with it in the JDM package.

Sam

its on my to do list and want to get as much input on this as possible before purchasing...

Laurence

Laurence,

Yep. Got the black plastic and black hose edition, though I think they have the carbon fiber version as well. I got the regular plastic one because it just matched everything else under the hood!

Re-tune was not necessary if you are installing on a stock SGT.

Any gain in horsepower? Well, I haven't dynoed it so I can't say for certain, but "seat of the pants" feels better - probably just my mind playing tricks! (it definitely takes the kinks out of the stock tube!)

It also looks a heck-of-a-lot better/cleaner than the stock unit and so far the only issue is the loosening of the clamps!

Hope that helps!

Sam

I have the Carbon Fiber Steeda elbow (Thank you Kahmann!). I've had it installed for nearly a year and I've had no issues with it coming loose. As far as peformance gain? Not likely.

If you are looking for more power the I would go with the JLT intake which has a larger MAF, but theirs will require a new tune.

post-24566-127008647267_thumb.jpg

post-24566-127008647267_thumb.jpg

I have read that the gains are next to nothing, and I thought one owner was going to dyno the tube but I never heard any results......Furthermore, I like the idea of a smoother and slightly shorter airway path and it looks a lot better than the factory elbow....

Thank you for your input.

Laurence

Before I supercharged my GT, I had the Steeda elbow on my CAI. I'm sorry to say that I had a lot of trouble with it. Mine was the gray plastic one and it came off twice. I talked to Steeda and they told me it was critical to install it in the order that they specified. I did and it didn't come loose at the throttle body any more. Unfortunately, instead it just cracked open a little before the throttle body connection. They offered to replace it but I went with the supercharger and a new CAI that came with it in the JDM package.

Moab,

is the sequence order to tighten from the throttle body to the MAF housing/filter?

Laurence

Sam

Laurence

I drove into the Dyno shop 2 weeks ago with my SGT, mods included- Steeda UD pullies, Spydershaft 1-piece driveline & Roush off/road catbacks- Base line 289hp / 289tq.

While the engine cooled down and the tuner did his data log work I replaced the factory rubber intake elbow with a Steeda plastic elbow-

After 30 minutes of tune work we were rewarded with FINAL numbers of 310hp / 308tq on the Mustang Dyno with a 92 octane tune. The torque was the most noticeable the following day while on the track...

A gain of 21hp / 19tq- You can draw your own conclusion

P3190200.jpg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

^Is this the same dyno that showed Larry's bone stock SGT making over 300 to the wheels? headscratch.gif

I believe it was 295hp, I can't explain it but I witnessed it

Maybe it's the Roush synthetic oil Larry's using vs my Royal Purple ;)

The point at least in this post is that with a custom tune and Steeda elbow the numbers were a favorable improvement vs stock rubber elbow..

If you have doubts I can get you on the rollers while your in town next month for $50

At the last dyno event we held a stock 08 SGT made 271 along with a stock 08 Bullitt at 274

P8151166.jpg

I believe it was 295hp, I can't explain it but I witnessed it

Maybe it's the Roush synthetic oil Larry's using vs my Royal Purple ;)

The point at least in this post is that with a custom tune and Steeda elbow the numbers were a favorable improvement vs stock rubber elbow..

If you have doubts I can get you on the rollers while your in town next month for $50

At the last dyno event we held a stock 08 SGT made 271 along with a stock 08 Bullitt at 274

Ken & Kerry,

Actual corrected numbers were 296 RWHP and 305 RWT

stock motor - go figure :headscratch:

Didn't post it earlier because figured no one would believe it, but as Kerry said, he witnessed it :yup:

Larry

SGT 1717 dyno corrected  3-20-2010.jpg

SGT 1717 dyno corrected  3-20-2010.jpg

^Maybe your engine is just a freak, man! I dunno, but 21 HP (to the wheels no less) off an intake elbow makes absolutely zero sense to me.

That's about 5 more then I was expecting, it just edged out our 2006 numbers when it was NA with similar mods (304hp/300tq) when I added the C&L racer kit & JDM tune..... car ran 13.20's to back up the dyno number... I'll be running my SGT down the 1/4 mile in the next month or so, expecting to see something close or better then the other...

Ken & Kerry,

Actual corrected numbers were 296 RWHP and 305 RWT

stock motor - go figure :headscratch:

Didn't post it earlier because figured no one would believe it, but as Kerry said, he witnessed it :yup:

Larry

I guess it just goes to prove that Black is the fastest color :doh:

P3190183.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread :redcard:

You had a tune and the elbow installed correct? This sounds right with the tune and the elbow. The steeda elbow alone such what I have would not have the same results, I would wager.

Yes, I certainly didn't represent the elbow alone did it, but then again I wouldn't even consider adding it without doing a tune to maximize it.

I certainly don't have any doubts- see ya at the track :shift:

This is all pretty interesting. I am looking into a hard intake elbow with a tune too. I think a good tune can go a long way with noticable gains, or the seat of the pants feel. I'm thinking about a brenspeed tune and I haven't decided about the elbow yet. I don't like the sound of the steeda elbow coming off. Seems like a lot of people are having that problem.

Archived