TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4257 IS blown

First off it's 1:30 am as I just got back from taking my girls to the Paul McCartney concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and what a hell of a show it was. Man he can still rock at 67.

Before that, I dropped off 4257 at Alex’s (vapor08GT500) shop, MacKenzie’s Mustang Supply in Palm Springs. After visiting with him previously at his shop and discussing a few improvements, I decided on the following.

In addition to installing the powder coated valve covers that I posted on earlier, I opted to go with the polished Whipple 475 Supercharger (cause I have an auto)and the Shelby gauge pod. :yahoo:

Out back, Alex recommended Steeda Extreme Duty billet lower arms with the spherical bearing and urethane bushing and adjustable uppers , along with a Maximum Motorsports adjustable panhard bar. Oh yeah, he’s also going to take care of that “dirty butt” while he’s at it.

He’s also going to replace the window felt on my ’07 with the new and improved ’08 window felt, so my tint won’t get scratched anymore. I’ll replace the scratched tint after I get it back.

I’ve seen the work he’s done and read the testimonials by other TS members and am confident he will do another outstanding job. Plus I’ve seen several of his awesome mustangs.

I leave for vacation on Friday and return on the 8th, so I’m hoping he’ll be posting pics of the progression so Laura and I can see it while we are gone. We both are looking forward to seeing the completed product. :happy feet: :happy feet:

Dan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked my mechanic at the Ford dealer if painting the rearend was a good idea he said no it wasn't because if the car is used for road racing the rear end gets hot and if they are painted that will keep the heat in so Ford left them unpainted so the rear end components will last longer. I then asked him why they paint the rear end in the pickups and he said its really just a little rust proofing coating and that the truck sits much higher so airflow can cool the rearend.

I dont know how much truth there is to this but it made sense

Here are the first group of pictures. As far as Ford not painting the rears to keep them cooler, that is a bunch of BS. Ford stopped painting the rears in 1999 to save money. It is crazy sometimes what is done to save pennies on our cars...

Dan and Laura's SGT was from CO, so the rear and underside needs some detail work...we are sanding, neutralizing, priming and painting the rear and driveshaft while we are waiting for parts. The Whipple and gauge pod will be here Thursday and the Maximum Motorsports adjustable pahard bar arrived today. Billet rear lower and adjustible upper arms will be here tuesday. Here are the before pictures....

DanSGT001.jpg

DanSGT002.jpg

DanSGT003.jpg

DanSGT004.jpg

DanSGT005.jpg

DanSGT006.jpg

DanSGT007.jpg

DanSGT008.jpg

DanSGT009.jpg

DanSGT010.jpg

Keep watching as parts on installed...

Alex

As far as Ford not painting the rears to keep them cooler, that is a bunch of BS. Ford stopped painting the rears in 1999 to save money. It is crazy sometimes what is done to save pennies on our cars...

Alex

I thought it was hysterical3.gif BS as well but thats what he said so I guess they can get their Techs to believe anything.

hysterical.gif

I can't wait to see the end results

Wow Alex, that is a dirty rear. :hysterical:

Any ideas why the right side appears to be wet? Could it have been from the track at the Bash, fluid sloshing around?

I'm glad to hear the parts are rolling in. Can't wait to see progression. :dance:

Yeah, I'm a little excited...

My friend asked me if I wanted to go to the California Speedway this weekend to run the 1/4. He forgot I was going away on vacation and I told him about getting the car done. I would have liked one more day at the strip before the supercharger, but oh well...

Eagerly awaiting to pick her up.

Dan

I asked my mechanic at the Ford dealer if painting the rearend was a good idea he said no it wasn't because if the car is used for road racing the rear end gets hot and if they are painted that will keep the heat in so Ford left them unpainted so the rear end components will last longer. I then asked him why they paint the rear end in the pickups and he said its really just a little rust proofing coating and that the truck sits much higher so airflow can cool the rearend.

I dont know how much truth there is to this but it made sense

You should ask him what has more "R" value for retaining heat, rust or paint??? :hysterical:

I agree with Alex, the bean counters probably said "find ways to cut corners". Just like home builders, anything to save a nickel on each unit.

Dan

Glad you and your girls had fun at the concert Dan!!

The rear end is all painted now, I just forgot my camera at the shop today, so tomorrow I will load the pics and post.

It is pretty common for the right side axle vent to seep when road racing. A common solution is to run a fuel line from the tube to the floorpan, or to install a KR axle reservoir. Unless you are planning on road racing all the time, I would just leave it alone and wipe it down after road racing.

Tomorrow should be a productive day...keep watching this post...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words Harald...Are you and Glenda coming to Knotts??

Alex

Glad you and your girls had fun at the concert Dan!!

The rear end is all painted now, I just forgot my camera at the shop today, so tomorrow I will load the pics and post.

It is pretty common for the right side axle vent to seep when road racing. A common solution is to run a fuel line from the tube to the floorpan, or to install a KR axle reservoir. Unless you are planning on road racing all the time, I would just leave it alone and wipe it down after road racing.

Tomorrow should be a productive day...keep watching this post...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words Harald...Are you and Glenda coming to Knotts??

Alex

Yeah Alex, it was an unbelievable concert. Almost 3 hrs. long. He played something like 30 songs and a 7 song double encore. It was a great mix of Beatles, Wings and some current songs. The best was Live and Let Die, complete with an awesome fireworks display. He had tributes to John and George, but sadly, never mentioned Ringo.

I kind of thought the wetness was from the vent tube, just wanted to be sure. Tell Garrett sorry about all the rust.

Dan

A GREAT day on the SGT. Have 44 pictures loaded into photobucket, so I will have to put them in 5 separate posts. The rear end and driveshaft are done, valve covers on, intake off, panhard bar on, and new felts installed....still no Whipple...talked to them today and they assure me it will be here Friday, as did Juan at Shelby on the pod, which was fine as all the rest of the stuff took all day anyway....

Here's the rear end and driveshaft all done....after the rest of the suspension is done, we will detail the rest of the underside and take more pictures. The only thing we can't really clean up is the muffler cans as they are really badly corroded. I will try acid and steel wool which will make them look alot better from my previous experiences...

Dan2008.jpg

Dan2009.jpg

Dan2010.jpg

Dan2011.jpg

Dan2012.jpg

Dan2013.jpg

Dan2014.jpg

Dan2015.jpg

Dan2016.jpg

Dan2017.jpg

Now for the intake and valve cover removal...easy, but takes along time as there are so many connectors and plastic pieces...if you don't have the proper tools, don't attempt this yourself!!! You will end up breaking the fragile connectors...

Dan2022.jpg

Dan2023.jpg

Dan2024.jpg

Dan2025.jpg

Dan2026.jpg

Dan2027.jpg

Dan2028.jpg

Dan2029.jpg

Dan2030.jpg

Dan2031.jpg

Alex

LOL...I hear you....Don't think in the last pics that the valve covers are scratched, it is a reflection from the lights in the shop.....

Here are more pics...the valve covers look awesome...

Dan2032.jpg

Dan2033.jpg

Dan2034.jpg

Dan2035.jpg

Dan2036.jpg

Dan2037.jpg

Dan2038.jpg

Alex

Last group of pics. This will be helpful for those of you that have pre-08 Mustangs or Shelbys that had the non-felt lined inner window sweeps that scratch your window tint....the last picture shows the old ones and the new ones so you can see the difference...

Dan2040.jpg

Dan2041.jpg

Dan2042.jpg

Dan2043.jpg

Dan2044.jpg

Tomorrow (Friday) Polished Whipple will make its way into the engine box!!!

Alex

The Whipple officially made it on the engine at 3:15 today. No pictures of lifting it on as it takes 2 people to lift it on the motor. We always tape the firewall and the blower as well as other misc parts to avoid scratching anything. Typically each install, we go through 2 rolls of low tack 3M 2" tape....also be sure not to leave any tools under the new manifold...I had a SGT at the shop last year that was supercharged at SA and there was a pair of pliers left under the intake....when attempting any supercharger install, check, check and check again and tape up any opening while it is left open...

Here is the new beauty on the engine....

Dan4001.jpg

Dan4002.jpg

Dan4003.jpg

Dan4004.jpg

Dan4005.jpg

WOW!!!

That looks awesome Alex. Sorry we missed your call. We were driving and didn't hear it. I'm definitely glad now we went with polished instead of black. Can't wait till I'm back from vacation and it's all done. Hope you enjoy the weekend and Happy Easter.

Dan

Thanks for keeping us updated while we're away.

Thanks Rick...I appreciate your comments...

Glad you like the pics Dan....your baby is getting the full treatment. I will keep posting pics as things get installed. Hope you all have a very happy Easter!

Alex

Alex, has the Shelby gauge pod come in yet?

On a side note, Saturday night we took my mom out to dinner and what happens to be parked outside our window in the parking lot.... a 2006 Shelby GT-H. It was definitely somebody's daily driver as the weather is not Shelby optimal here (Logan, Utah) and was dirty from road grime.

Dan

Hi Harald,

Come on, you're not too far away....glroy ( Glen and Lisa) drove their Shelby all the way down from Victoria, Canada to have us upgrade their car and paint their rear...LOL

Dan,

Glad you are enjoying your trip. It always makes me cringe when I see a Shelby of any kind, not being taken care of....

Gauge pod came in on Friday, but I want to get the blower install done before starting on that, then back to the suspension. What day will you be back??

Alex

Hi Harald,

Come on, you're not too far away....glroy ( Glen and Lisa) drove their Shelby all the way down from Victoria, Canada to have us upgrade their car and paint their rear...LOL

Dan,

Glad you are enjoying your trip. It always makes me cringe when I see a Shelby of any kind, not being taken care of....

Gauge pod came in on Friday, but I want to get the blower install done before starting on that, then back to the suspension. What day will you be back??

Alex

We'll be home Thursday. I just wanted to see if the pod came in or not. Can't wait to pick up the car.

Dan

Sounds great Dan...Tuesday we will finish up supercharger install and get the fuel pump in, and hopefully start on the gauge pod...then the control arms, final underside detail, then outside detail...if all goes as planned it will be all done by Wed night.....

Alex

Archived