TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett Jackson to sell Shelby devlopment vehicles

robertlane

BARRETT-JACKSON TO SELL RARE COLLECTION OF SHELBY DEVELOPMENT VEHICLES DURING PALM BEACH AUCTION

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – March 30, 2010 – Barrett-Jackson will auction a few of the amazing development vehicles from the official Shelby American corporate museum during the 8th Annual Auction in Palm Beach on Saturday, April 3. The eight cars are an exciting mix of concept vehicles, test mules and development units. They include an ’06 Shelby GT-H coupe prototype (Lot #678.2), Shelby SR prototype (Lot #370.2), Ken Miles edition MKII GT40 Chassis #GT40P/2001 (Lot # 370.1), Shelby Turbo prototype (Lot # 374.2), 2007 Shelby GT Show Car (Lot# 374.1), ’88 Shelby CSX-T (Lot# 55) and ’99 Shelby Series 1 (Lot# 663.2).

“When Shelby American renovated the museum in Las Vegas, they decided to trim their collection of cars,” said Steve Davis, president of Barrett-Jackson. “Like the Ford and GM development vehicles sold at No Reserve through Barrett-Jackson over the past several years, they are a snapshot of an original masterpiece or idea.”

Concept cars, test mules and development units are an important part of creating a production automobile for any company. They are used to develop power trains, engineer suspensions, tune bodywork and try out new ideas. Some are close to final production trim while others are exercises that never come to maturation.

Typically, most of these types of cars end up crushed, dismantled or in corporate collections. Few ever make it into the hands of the general public. However, Shelby American chose to release a small number of its development vehicles to collectors through Barrett-Jackson. The cars were used by Shelby engineering and design teams at the Las Vegas factory, design studio and Las Vegas Motor Speedway to create their line of performance vehicles.

“Our team chose to offer a handful of vehicles at Barrett-Jackson because it’s the most democratic way to give the average enthusiast an opportunity to own a rare glimpse into the Shelby way of building cars,” noted Amy Boylan, president of Shelby American. “It extends the benefits of being part of the Shelby family to more people.”

Each vehicle marks a milestone in the history of Carroll Shelby’s companies. Some are unique views into a moment in a car line’s development while others represent a path not taken. Each is highly collectible and historical. Most were displayed at the Shelby factory in Las Vegas alongside Carroll’s personal collection.

The 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H coupe is the prototype for the 517 units that were built. They were fitted with a custom Shelby appearance package, Ford Racing Power Pack to add horsepower and torque to the 4.6 liter V8, suspension stiffing components, new exhaust system, special wheels, a 3.55:1 ratio rear axle assembly and interior touches.

A pair of cars introduced last year to great fanfare will also be sold. In 2009, Shelby Automobiles unveiled the Shelby SR and the Shelby Turbo post-title packages for 4.6L V8 powered 2005-2009 Mustang GT. Both are 550 horsepower prototypes and only one of their types built.

The SR was used for a press event and appeared in numerous media stories worldwide. The car was extensively developed on the drag strip, oval and road course of Las Vegas Motor Speedway at the hands of Shelby test drivers. It was also the prototype for a new Shelby supercharger and short throw shifter.

The “Shelby Turbo” car appeared in numerous publications and on the floor of the SEMA show. It was tested at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where Shelby test drivers and media put it through its paces on the road course.

Shelby will also sell a Ken Miles edition MKII GT40. This GT40 continuation is built to exacting standards with over two thirds of the rolling chassis's parts interchangeable with an original car. The left-hand drive car has never been driven and is set up to accept a period correct Ford 427 F.E. engine and a ZF or RBT transaxle; the drivetrain is not included with the car. The car is sold with an MSO as it has never been titled.

“Shelby’s experimental cars, like the famous ‘Green Hornet’ from the 1960s are now highly coveted collectibles for the same reasons that these vehicles are so prized,” stated Davis. “From the Series 1 to the GT40 and Hertz Shelbys, they are a piece of memorabilia, art and history that will never come again.”

The 2007 Shelby GT Show Car has a custom paint scheme created for display at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway “Neon Garage” during the first Shelby 427 NASCAR race in 2009. The paint scheme reflects a Las Vegas theme with familiar icons such as the Navy Thunderbirds team, a white tiger and showgirls. It is a one-off show car built to demonstrate the versatility of the car for customization and styling.

When Carroll Shelby’s good friend, Lee Iacocca, asked him to inject some performance excitement into Chrysler Corporation during the 1980s, he responded with a series of “pocket rocket” front wheel drive cars. That included a line of cars called the CSX-T using the “Shadow” body style for Thrifty Car Rental. The CSX-T was only sold to Thrifty, and 1,001 were produced. One of those cars, CSX-T 475 will be sold after a stint in the Shelby Museum.

The Shelby Series 1 was a high-performance roadster manufactured by Shelby American from 1996-2002. The car to be auctioned has a carbon fiber body, sophisticated chassis and a 4.0 liter V8 engine. Weighing 2,650 pounds, sports car went 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and recorded 12.8 in the quarter mile; top speed was 185 mph.

This was the first running car and the “pre-production” #1 Series 1 that was featured on the cover of Motor Trend, as well as various other magazine articles through 1998-99. “PP1” was used for dealer and public drives given by NASCAR legend Davey Hamilton and Shelby test driver Gary Patterson. The car is sold with an MSO as it has never been titled. The Series 1 will be listed in the Shelby World Registry.

"The 2007 Shelby GT Show Car has a custom paint scheme created for display at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway “Neon Garage” during the first Shelby 427 NASCAR race in 2009."

Ok I guess that explains these photo's I took in 2009 while in the Neon Garage. I never knew the story or who the car belonged to. The artist was painting the Shelby right there in front of everyone-

P2280347.jpg

P2280348.jpg

P2280349.jpg

P2280350.jpg

Someone had mentioned some of these might show up there, but until today they had not appeared on the Consignment sheet.

Robert, can you say which of these will have titles (can be registered and driven on the street) and which are sold on a bill of sale (cannot be registered or driven).

Thanks!

The cars are now posted at B-J's website. Pictures and details are listed on the Saturday auction sheet...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentcarlist.aspx?aid=323&sd=04/03/2010&ed=04/03/2010

hi all

these cars all have titles except the Series 1 PP1. It is a development vehicle and should not be registered. It comes with a bill of sale..... all others are good. There is also the Hertz concept for sale

Amy

Is the GT40 the one that was in the Museum on the side by the other GT40 and the other race car?

It ought to get a good price. Too bad I'm locked on the Cobra. A Ford GT would be more co-pilot friendly though. I've heard the GT40's of this style are kidney busters.

GT-SR just sold for $73k

S-GT (with full body mural) $36k

GT-T (turbo) $64k

Wowwwww weeeeeeee. If the GT-SR sold for $73 k and the GT-T sold for $64k, I am gonna guess that the 06 GT-H prototype goes for $160k and the 07 GT-H convertible prototype goes for $100k. Yep, thats my guess on these. Anyone else wanna make future predictions?

QSS

Wowwwww weeeeeeee. If the GT-SR sold for $73 k and the GT-T sold for $64k, I am gonna guess that the 06 GT-H prototype goes for $160k and the 07 GT-H convertible prototype goes for $100k. Yep, thats my guess on these. Anyone else wanna make future predictions?

QSS

If anything, I hope your guesses are low. If either one of these goes for much less than that I will be VERY mad for not bidding myself. I am assuming they will easily go for more than I can afford.

QSS

Actually, the convert prototype is on an 2006 Mustang also. I think that makes it even more cool. The ONLY 06 Hertz convert in existance!

Definitely some deals on these Shelbys. I guess I should have signed up and tried bidding on the GT-H coupe. I am assuming this is the coupe that was at the New York Auto Show and in all the advertising as well as the one from the museum? I am really surprised. This economy really does stink. My GT-H sold at auction for $52,000 in February of 2007 with 9,800 miles on it. Nothing special as far as GT-H's go -- it was a typical Florida rental. Sad and amazing how things have changed. :(

I am miffed as to why SAi is selling off one of a kind proto types. These are Carroll's legacy to the automotive world. It is very sad that SAI had to sell them. It seems to me that this is a very ominous sign that things at SAI will be coming to an end in the very near future. Possibly after they complete their run of the 2011 GT350'S.

What say you all ?

I think it is more like slimming down and raising Money for the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

Two Options:

<01> Spend Money to add on to the Musium for all the Cars.

<02> Sell off some of the Cars and raise Money for a very worthy cause.

I choos Option number 2.

I think it is more like slimming down and raising Money for the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

Two Options:

<01> Spend Money to add on to the Musium for all the Cars.

<02> Sell off some of the Cars and raise Money for a very worthy cause.

I choos Option number 2.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember them saying anything about the proceeds going to the Children's Foundation for these cars.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember them saying anything about the proceeds going to the Children's Foundation for these cars.

I believe the car that had the exotic paint job was for the Shelby Foundation. I was with some friends and the TV was on with captions. I did see Jenni on the podium.

I believe the car that had the exotic paint job was for the Shelby Foundation. I was with some friends and the TV was on with captions. I did see Jenni on the podium.

Yes, I think you are correct with that car, but I don't think the others were.

Edited by JeffJ

I think any guess on that is pure speulation at best.

I can see why many would see this as a scary sign though.

One of the Cobras in the museum was being moved out during the bash. Sold to a private collector for 100k....I was shocked by that. And that isnt speculation, We heard that directly from the employees there at the museum.

I would have dropped more than that in a heartbeat for that particular car. Probably double that number without hesitation. I didnt understand the logic of that sale at all.

Maybe a few stockholders can chime in...are things okay in Shelbyland?

When I found out the 06 GT-H proto type was up for sale on such short notice I was concerned. I would have bought that car but with 2 days notice, I could not get my sh!t together. I am now very concerned, history has a way of repeating itself. The new 5.0 with 400+ hp, layoffs at SA, the new Boss on the way,..........I am worried. Dejavue all over again??

QSS

I am miffed as to why SAi is selling off one of a kind proto types. These are Carroll's legacy to the automotive world. It is very sad that SAI had to sell them. It seems to me that this is a very ominous sign that things at SAI will be coming to an end in the very near future. Possibly after they complete their run of the 2011 GT350'S.

What say you all ?

I started seeing something back in the fall of 08 on how the 427 package was handled. I don't want to get into details, it's all there in the forums. That was the first time I couldn't get a straight answer and started to be negative. I do a lot of investing in the market and noticed Carroll's stock had started falling like a rock. I guess I understand now why they keep making the 40th year after year. Also saw some key people leave SAI. Then last spring we hear about new cars, a pickup truck, which we have a video of Carroll saying he would not be part of, an SE package that all or most people have dropped out of and all those different GT's. Now we have the GT350, long over due, which is an awesome car. Problem is it should have been more affordable for everyone and not just for the big dogs. I'm sure SAI had a good reason for selling off these fine cars but they did not bring in what they were worth. Motor Trend said last June "smoke em while you've got em". I don't think it's the end, changes have to be made.

Bj's past auctions

07 GT500 $650.00

08 KR $550.00

11 GT350 $125,000 ?