TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Original vs. KR Mods

So I am getting a couple more things done to my KR over the next few days which inevitably leads me to the eternal question. Is it the general consensus of the KR forum that leaving the car original will hold the greater value? I just have a hard time understanding this sometimes. I do understand the concept of people wanting to own the original undisturbed version of the car the way the SVT engineers and Carroll decided on it, I really do.

That said I don't see how putting an additional 15-25k worth of meaningful mods in the car hurts the value of the car. Especially when the majority of the upgrades are the same upgrades offered through the upfitter package but the upfitter is substantially more costly because it comes with "Carroll's" seal of approval and Shelby registration. It seems to me that Carroll and the SA team agreed that some of these upgrades were good for the car and that's why they offered them as well.

So if I put 20k into my car and 20 years from now my car and an unmodified car, let's say both with 10-15k miles, are for sale, should I assume that the unmodified car is more valuable, and if so why? I still retain all the original parts if the buyer should choose to actually downgrade performance wise back to the original. It seems to me that the modded car presents the best of both worlds as long as of course they are both maintained in the same way.

Please take into consideration I have stated numerous times that I bought the KR to drive and enjoy it and the future value honestly wasn't a factor in my purchase. Each mod adds to my enjoyment of my car and I don't feel a sense of sacrilege that some feel about this. This post isn't meant to incite anyone so please no angry responses. I just wanted to get a greater sense of what the group as a whole feels about this. I have already made my decision so there is no looking back, but it's always nice to hear other opinions!

So I am getting a couple more things done to my KR over the next few days which inevitably leads me to the eternal question. Is it the general consensus of the KR forum that leaving the car original will hold the greater value? I just have a hard time understanding this sometimes. I do understand the concept of people wanting to own the original undisturbed version of the car the way the SVT engineers and Carroll decided on it, I really do.

That said I don't see how putting an additional 15-25k worth of meaningful mods in the car hurts the value of the car. Especially when the majority of the upgrades are the same upgrades offered through the upfitter package but the upfitter is substantially more costly because it comes with "Carroll's" seal of approval and Shelby registration. It seems to me that Carroll and the SA team agreed that some of these upgrades were good for the car and that's why they offered them as well.

So if I put 20k into my car and 20 years from now my car and an unmodified car, let's say both with 10-15k miles, are for sale, should I assume that the unmodified car is more valuable, and if so why? I still retain all the original parts if the buyer should choose to actually downgrade performance wise back to the original. It seems to me that the modded car presents the best of both worlds as long as of course they are both maintained in the same way.

Please take into consideration I have stated numerous times that I bought the KR to drive and enjoy it and the future value honestly wasn't a factor in my purchase. Each mod adds to my enjoyment of my car and I don't feel a sense of sacrilege that some feel about this. This post isn't meant to incite anyone so please no angry responses. I just wanted to get a greater sense of what the group as a whole feels about this. I have already made my decision so there is no looking back, but it's always nice to hear other opinions!

As long as you keep the original parts and a future buyer would have the choice to return to stock or keep it in modified form, I think your value would be the same as a stock car. My thought is condition would have more impact on value 20 years down the road than the fact the car is modded with the potential to return to stock if so desired.

As long as you keep the original parts and a future buyer would have the choice to return to stock or keep it in modified form, I think your value would be the same as a stock car. My thought is condition would have more impact on value 20 years down the road than the fact the car is modded with the potential to return to stock if so desired.

^^ What he said ^^

I think most people have drawn their conclusion about future values of modern KRs by looking at what happened with the original KRs. If only investing were that simple! But of course, who knows where the market will be in 40 years time? Its nice to imagine that modern KRs will be worth 20x-40x their retail value in 40 years time, but that really is pure guesswork...

That being said, I have always been a big believer of keeping these performance cars original. It is all very well to say "keep the parts, and it will be just fine", but a car really is only original once... although documenting changes is much easier these days, usually with the first sale (and lets be honest, if we are using '68s as an example, there will be very few original-owner KRs in 40 years time!), a lot of that information is lost.

With my '68KR, gone were the smog, exhaust manifolds, and air filter. All the mods were "bolt-on", and it was a one-owner car. However, it had sat in a garage for 20 years, the take-off parts were long gone, and the owner had really forgotten the details of what they had done to the car... if it had been one of those "time machine" cars you hear about, it would have been worth much more, but in unrestored, "slightly molested" condition, it was a comparatively reasonable price. If only the owner had known that the air-cleaner that he tossed away would be worth more today than the entire price he paid for the car in 1968!

I think it also comes down to rarity. It seems that the general trend is to mod Mustangs as quickly as possible. In the early days of the modern-KR speculation, the sentiment was towards keeping these cars pure. Now it is obvious that people are starting to throw caution to the wind, and mod even the KRs. Just go to any modern car show, and you will see that mods are what people are interested in. That makes the *unmodified* cars that much more rare... perhaps less "popular" today, but in the long run, I think that will change. When I drive the '68, one of the first questions people ask (after "is it real"), is "is it original". If we're talking long-term, I think the same will happen with modern KRs.

Now I skipped the modern-KR and went with a Saleen S302E - there were only 32 of these babies made, and several have already been modified - making mine (which is, and will remain, original and unmodified) that much rarer. I highly encourage all of you to go out and mod your modern KRs as much as you can. Every modified Mustang means on less to compete with mine! :)

I think most people have drawn their conclusion about future values of modern KRs by looking at what happened with the original KRs. If only investing were that simple! But of course, who knows where the market will be in 40 years time? Its nice to imagine that modern KRs will be worth 20x-40x their retail value in 40 years time, but that really is pure guesswork...

That being said, I have always been a big believer of keeping these performance cars original. It is all very well to say "keep the parts, and it will be just fine", but a car really is only original once... although documenting changes is much easier these days, usually with the first sale (and lets be honest, if we are using '68s as an example, there will be very few original-owner KRs in 40 years time!), a lot of that information is lost.

With my '68KR, gone were the smog, exhaust manifolds, and air filter. All the mods were "bolt-on", and it was a one-owner car. However, it had sat in a garage for 20 years, the take-off parts were long gone, and the owner had really forgotten the details of what they had done to the car... if it had been one of those "time machine" cars you hear about, it would have been worth much more, but in unrestored, "slightly molested" condition, it was a comparatively reasonable price. If only the owner had known that the air-cleaner that he tossed away would be worth more today than the entire price he paid for the car in 1968!

I think it also comes down to rarity. It seems that the general trend is to mod Mustangs as quickly as possible. In the early days of the modern-KR speculation, the sentiment was towards keeping these cars pure. Now it is obvious that people are starting to throw caution to the wind, and mod even the KRs. Just go to any modern car show, and you will see that mods are what people are interested in. That makes the *unmodified* cars that much more rare... perhaps less "popular" today, but in the long run, I think that will change. When I drive the '68, one of the first questions people ask (after "is it real"), is "is it original". If we're talking long-term, I think the same will happen with modern KRs.

Now I skipped the modern-KR and went with a Saleen S302E - there were only 32 of these babies made, and several have already been modified - making mine (which is, and will remain, original and unmodified) that much rarer. I highly encourage all of you to go out and mod your modern KRs as much as you can. Every modified Mustang means on less to compete with mine! smile.gif

+1

To me cars are all about having fun. Having said that, paying big bucks for a KR then putting in tons of cash to modify it is just something I wouldn't do.

Enjoy your rideshift.gif

I paid a very fair price for my KR and as I stated I really don't care what the car is worth down the road. My kids might by I certainly won't. I bought the KR rather than the 500 because it was already a better starting point. I always had the intention to upgrade the car and why not get the jump on the mods with the KR platform. As far as the mods go the majority of the work I've done has basically just recreated the concept version of the vehicle with the upfitter package installed. Like I said I believe the Shelby team wanted the TVS supercharger in it to begin with as well as all the other small upgrades built into the car through the upfitter kit. If Carroll felt that the upfitter package made the car a better car, then I would again feel the value should be higher on the modded or upfit car. Either way it's all just speculation because the true worth will be determined by the buyer down the road. I appreciate all your opinions and thanks for your input, all of you!

I agree with many of the comments here. Who cares about value?...live and enjoy what you have now because nothing in the future is certain.

One other reason that I didn't see mentioned that I think adds to the "mods=less worth" perception is that if people are modding them, they are beating on them. Most people buying a used one would love to find that "Grandmother's KR" if there is such a thing that was only driven on Sundays and never above 55 miles per hour....yeah right. All in all I agree with Ctann's point that it does come down to rarity. The biggest two reasons that Shelby's (and other collectibles) are worth something today are:

1. Rarity 2. Desirability

You won't have value without both of these factors (I am sure there were some very rare Gremlins and Mavericks, but who wants those?)

Anyway, I haven't performed any serious mods yet (beyond sequentials, shorty antenna, 20" rims, floor mats) but I am still thinking about it.

I agree with many of the comments here. Who cares about value?...live and enjoy what you have now because nothing in the future is certain.

One other reason that I didn't see mentioned that I think adds to the "mods=less worth" perception is that if people are modding them, they are beating on them. Most people buying a used one would love to find that "Grandmother's KR" if there is such a thing that was only driven on Sundays and never above 55 miles per hour....yeah right. All in all I agree with Ctann's point that it does come down to rarity. The biggest two reasons that Shelby's (and other collectibles) are worth something today are:

1. Rarity 2. Desirability

You won't have value without both of these factors (I am sure there were some very rare Gremlins and Mavericks, but who wants those?)

Anyway, I haven't performed any serious mods yet (beyond sequentials, shorty antenna, 20" rims, floor mats) but I am still thinking about it.

See, I feel like even this thread emphasizes the modded car as more valuable. Use your example of the modded car. People down the road would speculate, and correctly so, that the modded car was hammered upon. The original blower, injectors, pulleys, wheels, tires.....etc. are all still brand new and waiting to be placed back into the car in pristine shape basically rebirthing a significant portion of the car. Thus you get a 20-30-40 year old car all of a sudden with the option of completely restoring it back to it's original form. Of course this still is based on the perception that the car has still been well maintained.

I do agree that everyone would be looking for granny's KR but unfortunately that car doesn't exist. Who here would argue that 99% of these cars will be driven hard, again rightfully so, at some point. People who buy these cars SHOULD be buying them to drive them and have fun with them. I'd hate to think that many people are buying and storing them just as an investment. I know some do, but let's face it those people are the ones who should be driving them the hardest because they don't need a damn cent if they have the money to maintain and garage a car for 40 years waiting for a payday.

Take your Shelby's out and kick their ass! That's what Carroll built them for, and whatever makes them kick more ass is even better. I know I've gone slightly off topic in this so sorry. Point is just have FUN with your SHELBY cars KR or other, I think we can all agree that they are priceless in that category!!!

I think that if these car are considered collector cars in the future the orignal cars in original condition will be more desireable to collectors. Period. If you mod the car, that is fine but you need to make sure the car can be returned to stock factory condition with the original parts that wree taken taken off or factory OEM parts.

If you don't care about collectibility, mod away and have fun.

I did some mods on my FGT. Candidly, I love the mods I did and they do add to my enjoyment of the car.

Would I do it again? Not sure. Sometimes I think I would have been better off leaving it stock.

But I got bit by the mod bug pretty hard with the FGT.

But..I still have all the original parts labeled and documented and the car can be put

back to stock factory condition in a weekend.

I think in the long run cars that are stock and in great shape will bring the most interest. Cars that are modded an can be put back to stock with the original parts that are in great shape will be of the second most interest. Cars that are modded and don't have the original parts or can't be returned to stock just by rebolting things back on will be of the least interest to collectors especially if they are not in nice shape.

I have not modded my KR since I really do love it just the way it is. Its the perfect balance of power and handling.

Archived