TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007-2009 Gt500 will it ever be a collectiable

idareu

I'm sure they will be, one thing I keep hearing/seeing is that the prices for the 07/08's are dropping fast because people are finding out about the tranny problems so dealers are getting stuck with used ones, they have no choice but to unload them at lower prices to kind of offset the price it may cost the owner to get a new tranny if for whatever reason a Ford dealer does not honor the tsb if it has problems. I mean the GT500 overall is a fantastic vehicle, if I has the space and funds I'd get a used one and SS it and have one bad ass ride along with my SGT.

I drive mine because I love it. However I am confident that some time, it may take 10-20 years, but these cars will definitely be "collectable". Look how many tens of thousands of Vettes, Camaros, and "lesser" Mustangs (Mach 1s, GTs, etc.) they made in the 60s and how collectable they are. Yes rarity helps something assure collectability but the number one factor is DEMAND. The performance plus the Shelby name will ensure the demand. Just my .02

No, yes, maybe. Ask again in 40 years...

:beatdeadhorse:

Collectible? Maybe. Desireable? FOR SURE! Mine became collectible the day they slapped "SHELBY" on the deck lid. Somebody might get something out of it....or what's left of it when I'm done!

Collectible? Maybe. Desireable? FOR SURE! Mine became collectible the day they slapped "SHELBY" on the deck lid. Somebody might get something out of it....or what's left of it when I'm done!

Agree! As long as I can keep this thing in my possession I am a collector, collecting this thing in my garage and loving every second of it. I can't imagine getting much more satisfaction out of any car at any price. I am going into the third summer now, and every time that top drops and I start that 5.4 I just start grinning. It is almost time to get it on the road!

I guess it comes down to what is "collectible"?

To me, with a modest means, I see $80K Boss 302's and say "collectible", but to many serious collectors, $80K Boss's arn't "collectible", to them it takes a car like an original Cobra, GT40, ZL-1 Vette. And then to the super collectors, those arn't real collectible, as they are playing with $1M Hemi Cuda convertibles, or early Ferrari's, etc...

So what is collectible? I think a clean Fox 5.0 is a collectible car, or an SVO, etc...

I guess I define collectible as desireable regardless of how much better, faster, etc... that the newer models are. Since most Stangs are desireable, even during many of the years that they wern't that fast, I see them as collectible, and as desireable at the '07-'09's are, I believe they will prove to be timeless, and thus some level, "collectible".

Watch a Mecum auction. So many mass produced muscle cars from the '60's and 70's bring in big dollars. Even in this economy if they're original or restomod's in good drivable condition. I think in 40+ years, depending on the condition of your car, it could be worth more, but not much. I intend to keep mine forever and don't ever expect to make money on it, but am sure it will be a desirable muscle car in the future if I maintain it and don't put hundred of thousands of miles on it. JMHO.

Even a 1976 Vega station wagon can be desired by someone. (Not me, any more.)

I didn't buy either the Mustang or the Cobra to watch them sit in the garage waiting for me to die so my heirs can sell it some day. Too much fun to be had now.

Yes, they are not daily drivers, but that is mostly determined by the climate.

As soon as we run out of gasoline (10-20 years) they will all be collectibles. :hysterical:

Value well how much would you pay for a 2 ton car you can't buy fuel for

That is why they couldn't unload Hemi Cudas, Boss 429's, etc... The world of oil was comming to an end then, too. Flash forward 30 years and we still have gas and everybody is still driving 4000 hunks of steel to work burning thru the stuff at 20 mpg.

That is why they couldn't unload Hemi Cudas, Boss 429's, etc... The world of oil was comming to an end then, too. Flash forward 30 years and we still have gas and everybody is still driving 4000 hunks of steel to work burning thru the stuff at 20 mpg.

the only thing I am collecting is time slips from the drag strip and chips on the windshield from burnouts ahead of me- she is a muscle car not a garage queen or a car considered rare- until they outlaw car abuse I will be in a line of traffic at the strip waiting to bust balls with the rest of the gang. When her time comes I will have her put in a home for abused cars. Heres my car add only driven on weekends parts like new- of course they are like new as all the parts that kept her mild were put in a box and added when the glory ended. Ten years from now there will be so many stock gt 500s for sale you would think not a sole modifed these cars-

Hagerty (Collector Car Insurer) looks at mass-produced cars with an MSRP of $100,000 or lower that valuation experts at the company predict will have collector appeal within the next 15 to 20 years. Looking at the last ten years, one car was selected from each year based on factors including how influential it was in the automotive industry, its cool or unique factor and its potential value in the collector-car market." The 2007 pick was the Shelby GT500.

Nevertheless I drive mine a lot and don't plan on ever selling it.

CC

Well in my opinion Yes they will be collectible here is the reason I think why.....Yesterday I pulled the cover off my car and took it for it's first rip of the year. As I left my parents house after a visit and hopped in my car, an older gentleman pulled up beside me and motioned for me to roll down my window, so I did, and we spent the next few minutes B.S. ing about the car, and he was enthralled with it, along with his 18 yrish old son was. As i was driving my baby home I noticed a blue 2008 GT/CS convertible drive by me the opposite direction, The driver and I waved at each other, obviously being fans of our Ford Mustangs. A few blocks later I pulled into a gas station top up my tank, and as I was done filling up, the same guy pulled up beside me at the pumps. He said can I ask you a question ? and I said sure. He then asked do you mind if i take a picture of your car, and I said of course. So I pulled into the open parking lot as we chatted for approximately the next 15 mins or so and he knew all the specs and it was a fun conversation, his wife sat in her passenger seat rolling her eyes at her husband, much as my wife does when i get into my car mode. my point is this, I'm sure most of us have stories similar to this, the fact is that these cars draw alot of attention and there numerous fans of the Shelby new and old alike. I think it will take some time probably 25-30 yrs but they will be sought after some day, some guys talk production numbers and say there were way too many built, but if you look at the way the worlds population is multiplying there really aren't that many of these cars made in comparison to alot of others, example i must have seen 6 -8 chargers on my cruise that day and i didn't see one Shelby. Would i bubble wrap mine and wait for it to be worth something more some day ? hell no I plan to drive it until someday I can't push in the clutch in due to old age, but someday they will be sought after. I.M.H.O.

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny-I look at my '07 car and still think it's great. I have had it three years now and I was in a car show last weekend. I did all the usual prep, put the hood up and walked around not even thinking I was in the running for anything-there were some GREAT cars there. I walked away with first in class. Even though sometimes we look at the newer aluminum block, upgraded this or that dah dah dah other people don't seem to see it that way. People just like them-a SHELBY is a BIG deal!!!!!!!!!!! I read with interest the Hagerty article that for 2007 said it was the pick of the year to be a collector car someday. I think the author's reasoning was sound. He said you look for a car that made a big splash when it came out, it was a car that people just liked-no big reason-they just liked them. And they got a lot of attention when new since they were game changers. (The '55-'57 T Bird was one of these.) So yes, even though the numbers are higher than we'd like, I think the '07-'09 will be remembered as a VERY good time-one people will look for someday to bring back.

You get 20mpg????? You ain't drivin her right.

Archived