TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I Extend Ford Factory Warranty Yes or No?

Given that I've converted to 725HP, I'm wondering if people think extending the factory warranty is still worthwhile. My biggest go-forward concern would be the computer/chip.

Has anyone had luck leveraging their warranty?

Keep in mind the Extended Warranty is the most profitable option in the Car industry, that is why they push them so much. It is profitable for a reason, most people do not use them or do not use enough to make up the cost of them. To me the stuff that is covered would more than likely have gone in the original warranty if it were a defect. I never buy them, they say the best item to buy it on is Refrigirators for some reason, but I never buy them on anything.

Nope, didn't get one. I figure if anything fails, dealer will blame the mods ( probably should ).

Thanks to all. I appreciate the honesty and tend to agree with ll of you. now that being said with my luck I'll wish I'd done it....... : :banghead: : lol!!!

On the other side of the coin, the things that can go wrong on these cars is much more expensive than in the past, and it will only get worse. How much is a new transmission? A new bottom end? A computer? Heck, even a power window motor?

There are several things to consider here: How much do you plan on driving it? Do you plan on racing it? If so how often and what kind, drag or road?

My last stang was a drag strip warrior. I went through FIVE transmissions and Ford paid for every one of them. When I took it in for warranty work, I put the stock shifter back in. Dealership never said a thing about headers, skinnys, drag radials, mass air, etc...

How much is the warranty? If you can afford to put that money in savings every month instead of giving it to Ford, that might be your best option. That way IF something goes wrong you have at least some money to cover the cost of repairs.

On the other side of the coin, the things that can go wrong on these cars is much more expensive than in the past, and it will only get worse. How much is a new transmission? A new bottom end? A computer? Heck, even a power window motor?

There are several things to consider here: How much do you plan on driving it? Do you plan on racing it? If so how often and what kind, drag or road?

My last stang was a drag strip warrior. I went through FIVE transmissions and Ford paid for every one of them. When I took it in for warranty work, I put the stock shifter back in. Dealership never said a thing about headers, skinnys, drag radials, mass air, etc...

How much is the warranty? If you can afford to put that money in savings every month instead of giving it to Ford, that might be your best option. That way IF something goes wrong you have at least some money to cover the cost of repairs.

With all that on your car why would you remove the shifter?headscratch.gif

if you have 725 HP SS your drivetrain warranty is gone..... can't extend.

But there have been 725 owners documented on this forum to have their trans. TSB covered under warranty after their car was converted. My dealer said that they have no problem honoring a warranty issue on my Super Snake. Other owners have said the same...............I guess it all depends upon the dealership?

R

But there have been 725 owners documented on this forum to have their trans. TSB covered under warranty after their car was converted. My dealer said that they have no problem honoring a warranty issue on my Super Snake. Other owners have said the same...............I guess it all depends upon the dealership?

R

I hear you, Robert.... the "official" word was that if you went to 725 you would lose the warranty.

The tranny TSB is an issue independant of conversion to SS and therefore i think would be an exception to the rule. I made sure to have the TSB performed before SS conversion so there would be no confusion. I guess if you find the right dealer and if the drive train issue were not related to the increased HP you might get some warranty work done..... seems the dealer cooperation is highly variable.

I'm not saying there are'nt dealers out there that will continue to honor the warranty... but if they follow the "letter of the law" they would not have to cover drivetrain issues after SS conversion.

Ron

Given that I've converted to 725HP, I'm wondering if people think extending the factory warranty is still worthwhile. My biggest go-forward concern would be the computer/chip.

Has anyone had luck leveraging their warranty?

Extended warrantys are like life insurance. They are betting you want use the insurance and they will make a lot of money off of you. You are betting you will use the insurance and they want make any money off of you. It's all in the bet.

Archived