TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New member here...couple questions for ya

GT500692

hey everyone, im a recent camaro convert. Anyways im flying out this saturday to atlanta to pick up a 2010 grey gt500 with only 354 miles on the clock. No nav or HID's but it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Good enough for a three day drive back to Colorado! So for us high altitude guys what boost levels are you seeing? I know 6400ft will rob a few lbs from our cars. How do you tune for this when you do a pulley/SC change? I have never even driven a mustang before, but I have had great luck with ford trucks and just a month ago picked up a 2010 F150 FX4, it was at that time my 2010 SS camaro had to go!

Welcome to Team Shelby. You made a great choice getting into a 500. To answer your question, you will need to purchase a tune when you decide to change your pulley or SC. There are many tunes on the market for the SC 5.4, and one of the best is SCT.

So if you don't mind me asking, could you tell us what made you decide to turn in/sell the Camaro? We here all have our opinions about that car, but I would like to hear a opinion from someone who bought and sold one rather quickly.

I was never all that happy with the looks of the new camaro. Too plasticy and I really hated the fake gills on the side. I did quite a few changes and mine looked much much better than stock. I wanted a car that I wont see everyday and was the first in my (small) town to have one. Now everywhere you look there is a 2010 camaro, I hate that so I had a buyer lined up. Sold it one week ago today and ill be back in CO with my GT500 one week from today! I attached a pic of my camaro (hopefully that wont get me banned on this site!)

hey everyone, im a recent camaro convert. Anyways im flying out this saturday to atlanta to pick up a 2010 grey gt500 with only 354 miles on the clock. No nav or HID's but it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Good enough for a three day drive back to Colorado! So for us high altitude guys what boost levels are you seeing? I know 6400ft will rob a few lbs from our cars. How do you tune for this when you do a pulley/SC change? I have never even driven a mustang before, but I have had great luck with ford trucks and just a month ago picked up a 2010 F150 FX4, it was at that time my 2010 SS camaro had to go!

Greetings and welcome to Team Shelby.

I'm in Co. Springs and I *literally* just got back from a romp around town with my 2010 Kona Blue/white GT500. I'm at right around 6500' ASL and I gotta say, the altitude SUCKS (sucks *power* to be precise).

I just launched a run starting in 1st from a slow roll and was ALL OVER the rev limiter chip. Banged 2nd (again, *literally* which is another problem I'm having) and up thru 3rd before easing off.

From all other reports when GT500 guys speed/power shift into 2nd they get squirrley. My car DOES NOT. I barely spin the tires (from the start is another story) when I bang 2nd which leads me to believe that the altitude is just *killing* my power.

Which is one of my *main* reasons why I plan to go with a Whipple 2.9L FRPP upgrade ASAP. I can't remember what my boost gauge says but it's right in line with all the other "mile high club" members on TS.

I plan to take the car back home to Cali (Monterey Bay area is "home" for me) on occasion and I really want to see what the difference is from sea level and altitude.

I know that a car that runs 9.6's at sea level will run around mid 11's up here so that shows how much power we loose from the thin air.

Which also allows you to run way more boost than if you were at sea level (from what I've been told from some local drag racers).

Where in CO are you from?

We have a local mailing list called Colorado Shelby Breakfast Club but IIRC, it's all Eastern Slope owners. Denver and The Springs areas, IIRC.

Hope to see you around and compare notes once ya get back home from "Hotlanta". I hear it's a HELL of a party town so you might wanna stay a few days and take in the 'sights'.

Later,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

2010 Kona Blue & White GT500 (all stock for now)

Greetings and Welcome.

We live on the western slope.....currently waiting for 11 vert. You will enjoy the shelby and wont see yourself coming and going.

Keep in mind that the supercharger will make up for some of the lack in air density at elevation. Typical losses are 2-3 % per thousand feet of elevation in a normally aspirated car.

so your car will perform a bit less at 6500 feet than sea level but your supercharger will make up for a large part of it.............You should see close to the same boost levels.

I live here in Atl and if the timing is right would love to meet up somehow.Where is the car located--is it new on a dealers lot??PM with details if youthink a meet would work.I live in Dunwoody, about 30 miles NE of Atl airport--if you need someone to look at it for you,let me know--bob

Welcome to Team Shelby. You made a great choice getting into a 500. To answer your question, you will need to purchase a tune when you decide to change your pulley or SC. There are many tunes on the market for the SC 5.4, and one of the best is SCT.

So if you don't mind me asking, could you tell us what made you decide to turn in/sell the Camaro? We here all have our opinions about that car, but I would like to hear a opinion from someone who bought and sold one rather quickly.

Well I'll tell you first hand about a 2010 SS Camaro. My wife grew with Camaros and had 2 herself in younger days, so we got her one last summer. Flew out to Vegas to pick it up and drove it home to Pine Colorado. I was not impressed at all. First of all, it is a huge car out side but very cramped inside. I'm 6' tall and only way I can sit without head hitting headliner is with seat reclined way back. Visibility out is bad and dangerous, car is surrounded with blind spots. Gages are difficult to read and layout makes no sence at all. Performance is about what you would expect from a large sedan with an automatic. It runs right alaong but nothing like flooring a GT 500. The Camaro has a huge trunk but you cannot get a set of golf bags in unless you drop the back seat and push them into the trunk from the passenger area. The trunk lid is as wide as the car but when you open it the opening to trunk space is about 1/2 the size of lid. We had med sized rolling luggage bags and had to "snake" them into the trunk. Entire front and rear body trim is very flimszy plastic to the point of being fearfull of hand washing cause you might break something. Other than that, I guess it's an OK car.... :confused::confused: :

Hi there, the car is at Rick Hendrick Chevy in Duluth. Im not sure where that is from you. iam flying in this sat the plane lands at 3:45pm. Whats the weather like down there?

Man i was just there at Hennessey Cadillac dropping my STS V off--ill be back there tomorrow--if you want me to look at the Shelby let me know, tell me the sales guys name/number and ill call him before i drop by.Its finally getting warmer here,high sat should be in 70s, low of 48 and clear.Planes landing a little late for me to meet, usually take my wife out to eat on saturdays. Duluth is a pretty staright shot from the atl Ap.Just take 85 North to Pleasnt hill rd.Get off and go back over the freeway, take it about a mile, to Satelite Blvd, make a right,and Hendricks is just a few minutes up the road.About a 35 minute run from APIf youre going from the AP to Hendricks,and starting your journey rightt away, you might consider taking alimo or a cab--i also know theres a Enterpirse rental place at Hennesy Cadillac, which is almost across the street from hendricks--good luck, give me a call when yu land and Ill see if i can meet you and admire the car---bob--PS if youre staying overnight, theres a Mariott on Pleasant Hill, right where you got off, Weve had car shows there and they have good security

hey everyone. Anyways I'm flying out this Saturday to Atlanta to pick up a 2010 grey gt500 with only 354 miles on the clock. No nav or HID's but it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Good enough for a three day drive back to Colorado!

Hi there and welcome. Congrats on the 2010 Shelby purchase! You're going to love this car for sure. It'd be cool if you and Torched10 can meet up too - he's very knowledgeable on the 2010's and cars in general!

Hi there and welcome. Congrats on the 2010 Shelby purchase! You're going to love this car for sure. It'd be cool if you and Torched10 can meet up too - he's very knowledgeable on the 2010's and cars in general!

thanks Blue BTW maybe you could check out his VIN and see where the car came from as far as Ford producton etc.Assume hes done a check on the VIn for any issues , ie accidents etc, already.Im gussing the orignal owner defaulted on the loan---bob

thanks Blue BTW maybe you could check out his VIN and see where the car came from as far as Ford production etc. Assume hes done a check on the VIn for any issues , ie accidents etc, already.I'm guessing the original owner defaulted on the loan---bob

Yeah, could do that if he wants. Just looking without the VIN - it appears to have originally been from another state - not that it matters. Not sure if it had a car cover. Looks like it has the shaker1000 option and has black stripes. Could be one of 13 cars from either of 11 states. I'm assuming it probably didn't make more of a state away journey....so it was probably from Florida.

Thanks guys, the story im told on the GT500 is that the guy had two of them and traded them in on two ZR1's! He had a convertable that he drove and the coupe sat in the garage. Carfax is clean, no repos or anything reported. The salesmans name is Shon Phillips. They are picking me up at the airport. That would be great if you could look at it and let me know your opinion. Im getting it for 42k so hopefully I got a good enough deal to make the journey down there!

Thanks guys, the story im told on the GT500 is that the guy had two of them and traded them in on two ZR1's! He had a convertable that he drove and the coupe sat in the garage. Carfax is clean, no repos or anything reported. The salesmans name is Shon Phillips. They are picking me up at the airport. That would be great if you could look at it and let me know your opinion. Im getting it for 42k so hopefully I got a good enough deal to make the journey down there!

[/quot

Ok Ill look at it tomorrow--will ask for your sales guy.As to the price, i dont know--thats around invoice on that car,plus dont think you have to pay gas guzzler tax on a used car,or transp etc.Make sure they dont screw you around for the infamous dealer handling fee--just tell them you are not paying any fees,priod,Dont know how sales tax work for an out of state deal--.Id get your deal in writing for toal out the door price before you leave Co, just to make sure your not being overcharged. good luck

PS borrow/buy a GPS and a good radar detctor--also the sync works great,so either bring your IPOD, or load up a memory

stick with your fav tunes.I have a Zune also made by MS and it works great with voice commends etc.

Should be a fun drive home in nice weather looks like

Torched10, i have a zune also works flawless in my 10' FX4. I will absolutly be bringing it along. Where is the USB plug in the GT500?

the way sync works (atleast this is how it works best fro me), turn the zun on and go to music on your Zune,whatever playlist you want and hit play on th Zune.Plug it inot the USB. Press the voice symbol on the steering wheel,its on the rightside and looks like a side face with waves coming out of it.It may take a minute to index the songs from your Zune onto the sync.Your sync will ask for a command--say "USB"--it'll go to the Zune and whatever you started playing. If you want to do anoter playlist, a specigic song or artist. Push the button and say "playiist XXX" or"artist XXX" or Play "xxx" (song). The commands are all in the sync manual, but thoguth id give you a head start. Itll also do "Play similar song" or "Next track" "shuffle"--its really amzing to me

PS can you give me a first name so when i go to the dealer and i can say who's buying the car---bob

Greetings and welcome to Team Shelby.

I'm in Co. Springs and I *literally* just got back from a romp around town with my 2010 Kona Blue/white GT500. I'm at right around 6500' ASL and I gotta say, the altitude SUCKS (sucks *power* to be precise).

I just launched a run starting in 1st from a slow roll and was ALL OVER the rev limiter chip. Banged 2nd (again, *literally* which is another problem I'm having) and up thru 3rd before easing off.

From all other reports when GT500 guys speed/power shift into 2nd they get squirrley. My car DOES NOT. I barely spin the tires (from the start is another story) when I bang 2nd which leads me to believe that the altitude is just *killing* my power.

Which is one of my *main* reasons why I plan to go with a Whipple 2.9L FRPP upgrade ASAP. I can't remember what my boost gauge says but it's right in line with all the other "mile high club" members on TS.

I plan to take the car back home to Cali (Monterey Bay area is "home" for me) on occasion and I really want to see what the difference is from sea level and altitude.

I know that a car that runs 9.6's at sea level will run around mid 11's up here so that shows how much power we loose from the thin air.

Which also allows you to run way more boost than if you were at sea level (from what I've been told from some local drag racers).

Where in CO are you from?

We have a local mailing list called Colorado Shelby Breakfast Club but IIRC, it's all Eastern Slope owners. Denver and The Springs areas, IIRC.

Hope to see you around and compare notes once ya get back home from "Hotlanta". I hear it's a HELL of a party town so you might wanna stay a few days and take in the 'sights'.

Later,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

2010 Kona Blue & White GT500 (all stock for now)

Phil we had a GTO national show in Denver a few years back,and had a drag race at the track west of Denver.My 65 tri-power car,which normally runs a 13.9 (its compeyel stock) was running 16s, just not enoguh oxygen and therefore too much gas.Had to change the jets out to make it run right--all the cars had the same issue.If you did a custom tune at a local tuner, couldnt they adjust the car for thinner air so itd run better.Wonder if they could customize a John Lund tune for the altitude??

Ok just looked at the shelby--looks in excellent shape,no re-paint repair/damage etc.They put a small Hendrick Chevrolet sticker that if it were my car,id have removed. There were 2 minor, and i mean minor, abrasions on the ffront valance,whar it looks like the valance may have gone over something in a parking lot---since they also have a red 2010 vert with black sitting there as well, maybe theyd swap it for you----but no big deal.Didint drive it,but everything looked pretty new---sitting in the lot marked as sold--he told me they were going to detail it Friday---since youre driving it so far, id pass on the detailing, you never know what they might do to the car--looks great as is---good luck---bob

Thanks man! I saw that sticker and was going to have them remove it before I took it. The red vert' was owned by the same guy Im told. Torched, if we can hook up I owe you a drink! This is a great site!

OK tried to send a PM but couldnt--PM me and ill give you my phone numer--bob PS--Im a vert guy,so Id be going aftre the vert. BTW, Im sure you know that with the black stripe, the "inserts" on the seats are black, so the seats look black--theres no contrasting color

Yes I picked it up saturday. We had some bad weather in CO so our flight was late. Didnt end up getting the car until about 6:30pm and still had to drive to nashville. All I could say was WOW about the gt500. I say could because now back home at 5200' it feels tame. Im looking into a pulley change or possible whipple asap. Its at the dealer now getting FRPP springs installed.

Yes I picked it up saturday. We had some bad weather in CO so our flight was late. Didnt end up getting the car until about 6:30pm and still had to drive to nashville. All I could say was WOW about the gt500. I say could because now back home at 5200' it feels tame. Im looking into a pulley change or possible whipple asap. Its at the dealer now getting FRPP springs installed.

congrats--post some pics when you get chance--there are sevral TS members in CO., im sure they have advice on defeating,or at least mitigating the altitude issues

Archived