TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NO OIL PRESSURE!!!! HELP

My insurance went back on today, weather is sunny and warm and all was looking up, until I started my 2010 GT500 with only 850 miles on the clock. The 1st weird thing I noticed was the warning that "oil change needed". With only 850 miles I thought that strange, so I looked at the oil pressure gauge and it was ZERO!!!! I shut it off and am now freaking out. 1st did I do any damage by idling it for about a minute and 2nd WTF!!!! I assume that the pump lost prime over the winter, but what do I do now????

My insurance went back on today, weather is sunny and warm and all was looking up, until I started my 2010 GT500 with only 850 miles on the clock. The 1st weird thing I noticed was the warning that "oil change needed". With only 850 miles I thought that strange, so I looked at the oil pressure gauge and it was ZERO!!!! I shut it off and am now freaking out. 1st did I do any damage by idling it for about a minute and 2nd WTF!!!! I assume that the pump lost prime over the winter, but what do I do now????

#1 good job to shut off engine. #2 re-check the oil levels. After sitting a while some have been know to lose prime. Also if you didn't notice the engine sounding exceptionaly noisy, ( which it appears you didn't), so could just be a pressure sensor issue, or in the pcu.

Is it still failry cold where you are? Nice to have the fliuds warm on initial long term shutdown. Might be wise to recheck everything you can. Warm the oan is you can, use a space heater not to close to the car, just enough for overnight to warm the area, make sure good ventalation for fumes.

I have seen also where sometimes, I have had to removed the battery ground for a 1/2 hour or so, reconnected if it appeared a pcu issue, to clear the problem.

If you have ever heard an engine without oil pressure it will rattle your head, with noise and racket. I personally always start my car every week to two weeks and let run till nice and warm then shut down. In Arizona we don't have much down time, so not a problem for me.

Be cautious, if you can kill the igntion source and crank engine over to assist with prime will help get the oil up in the engine. Just don't over heat the starter or you will have another issue.

Lastly, with cold weather and long term sitting, I have seen the oil pump shaft shear off due to the oil was to thick . Not likely with synthetics, unless 30 below or so. But possible.

Some of what worked for me.

Hope all works well.

In regards to the oil change reminder: The reminder is time/mileage based. So in theory you could have 50 miles on it and have it sit for 6 months and have the oil change reminder come on at first start up. Don't worry about it; just reset the reminder unless you want to change the oil. I change mine every November before they go away and have to reset the reminder every spring when I pull them out.

As for the oil pressure issue: It's probably a sensor but I wouldn't even play around. Call your dealer and have them flatbed it to the shop. Better safe than sorry.

Goodluck!

Andy

Archived